Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
aikilouis
France
Okamoto Sensei TV Documentary

Thanks to Leo Tamaki's blog, I discovered this show from Japanese TV about a visit to Okamoto Sensei (Daito Ryu Roppokai). The first part is a demonstration of skills on the visiting TV guy, the second part is an attempt to explain the strange phenomenons.

I'd be interested if someone translated the instructions, reactions and explanations. Thanks in advance, and sorry if those video have been already posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8BcRNQIJIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyeo2drCmTE

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Okamoto Sensei TV Documentary

Quote:
Ludwig Neveu wrote: View Post
Thanks to Leo Tamaki's blog, I <snip>

I'd be interested if someone translated the instructions, reactions and explanations. Thanks in advance, and sorry if those video have been already posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8BcRNQIJIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyeo2drCmTE
Just watched the documentary, and I wouldn't waste your time by posting an in-depth translation.
A quick summary would go like this:
Get a bunch of "experts" (certified amateurs) to examine a specific skill-set, while haven't having the faintest idea about what mechanics, and kind of conditioning necessary to perform such skills, are actually involved, how forces are actually dealt with, and instead cloud the issue with kindergarten grade physics... and you have this show.

The "expert" at 4:09, is clearly "not" doing things right since he's using mechanical "tricks" through local scapular movement...etc.

A good litmus would be to compare Okamoto's movement to the "expert"... is he doing the same thing, even vaguely? If not, then his explanations aren't even worth listening too.

If you were hoping for a show that would try to do an honest attempt at explaining things... sorry to say that this isn't it

Sorry for the rant... couldn't help myself

Course, you don't have to take my word for it...anyone else with skills feel free to interject
Old 07-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
aikilouis
France

Okay for the second part, but what does Okamoto sensei ask the others to do, and how does the participant describe what he feels on the receiving end ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

I dont understand what is being said in any of the vids, so I can only comment on what I see.

I agree with RJ in that the 'experts' are only commenting on 1 dimension of what is going on. Of course, control of the body mechanical aspect of the partner is important/essential, however, they do not seem to be explaining the mind/spirit side of the equation at all. A quick read of George Ledyard's Attention/Intention thread will point towards how important the mental aspect is to what is being demonstrated.

The demonstations were interesting to see, as they are very similar to what we do in our 'ki development' section of our practice. They are not hard to do or teach. The one where everyone is in line holding hands is particularly easy to do, the numbers are irrelevant, as long as you move the 1st one successfully, the rest go down like dominoes. We usually start off with a downward movement of uke's arm, but tonight I will try what I saw on the vid, I have no doubt that it will be just as easy to do.

Some of the other demo's require a much greater level of mind body co-ordination. On the double wrist grabs, you can see that Okomoto recieves ukes 'intent' before there is physical contact made, he projects/returns his own intent/ki back into uke from his own stable centre to destabalise, making him easy to throw.

The easiest way to learn how to do these things is find someone who can do them and get them to show you how.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

The "expert" engaged his shoulder too much to lift the guy, using too much tecnique and recognizable and telegraphed arm movement that starts from the shoulders. Technique that can be easily jammed, even by "strong" amateurs. When you see Okamoto move, you don't see the same kind of overt shoulder movement, in fact his shoulders hardly move at all. Movement is initiated somewhere else.

That said, it's interesting to see how dramatic the kuzushi Okamoto puts on the ukes. I reckon these dudes balance suck ass. Id like to see how dramatic it can get on someone with good, strong frame or someone with at least coarse jin skills.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Ludwig Neveu wrote: View Post
Okay for the second part, but what does Okamoto sensei ask the others to do, and how does the participant describe what he feels on the receiving end ?

Thanks in advance.
What part are you referring to? (about Okamoto sensei asking other to do something), In general he just asks them to hold him down, or grab the partner next to him tightly etc, while the participant on the receiving end says the typical "if feels like it's an unstoppable force coming from far away yatta yatta yatta."

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Of course, control of the body mechanical aspect of the partner is important/essential, however, they do not seem to be explaining the mind/spirit side of the equation at all.
But even before we get to the mind/spirit side of things, yi/intent/i and all that dance, they don't even do a decent, er I mean any kind of job, at demystifying the mechanical aspects. They're focusing too much on forces occurring at the point of contact...when they should, at the very least, (that's assuming they're serious about explaining these things), be starting with the legs, spine, middle/tanden/koshi etc and how it's the physically unified, and body which is conditioned to transmit forces which allows for these demos.

Forgetting the intent stuff (I wouldn't blame them for not introducing it in a TV show), let's see one that can actually cover the basic mechanics for once.