Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-27-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
ze do telhado
Dojo: aikishurendojo
Portugal
Iwama Ryu Bokken

Hi...
does anyone know when was created this type of bokken, and where did his shape came from?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Re: Iwama Ryu Bokken

"Training in the aiki ken and jo leads to a increased understanding of combative distance, positioning, and body centering. It develops good posture and strengthens the arms and shoulders which in turn aids in the execution of empty-handed techniques."
- from <http://www.iwama-ryu-tr.org/eng/iwama.html>

"...Many bokken reflect these differences but we also see wooden swords that are not direct imitations of live blades. In fact, bokken are not generally intended to mimic the shape, weight or feel of a steel samurai sword but instead intended to facilitate specific movements."

"The Iwama Bokken of Takemusu Aiki Aikido is 41" long, has a moderate curvature and, with its fairly stout proportions, has a feeling of decisive to heavy balance. The defining feature of this weapon is its solidness and simplicity."
- from <http://www.kingfisherwoodworks.com/>

Based on the above, Saito Sensei seems to have designed the Iwama bokken for the purpose of facilitating good aikido movement. Hence it lacks most of what we would think of as traditional "sword-like" features like tsuba and blood grooves.

Anyone else have other clues?

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 04-28-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
Steve Morabito
United_States

I like the Iwama style for its simplicity and feel. One major difference is that this style of bokken is generally not used with a tsuba. I've been told that this is because the styles that generally use this bokken feel that not having a tsuba forces the user to have more precise technique. So , in other words, if your technique is sloppy, your knuckles get smashed. However, although the shape of the Iwama bokken is not ideally suited for a tsuba, I retrofitted a plastic one that does stay on mine.
Hope this helps a bit.
Steve
Old 04-28-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Robert Rumpf
Dojo: Academy of Zen and the Ways
United_States

I was told at one point (by someone who ought to know) that the lack of point compared to the other style of bokken is so that bokken is less of a hazard to the eyes.

Hope that helps,
Rob
Old 05-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Mike Sigman
United_States

You can practice stabbing power with an Iwama-style bokken without damaging the target or the point of the bokken.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

The branches of trees do not have tsuba. I also think that Musashi did not use tsuba.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #7
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

The Iwama bokken is heavier that most standard bokkens. It's difficult to do 10 power cuts.

I was told that the point was intentionally cut-off to prevent injuries especially in thrusting movements against a partner.