Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-13-2003, 04:02 PM   #1
Jane Woodcock

Dojo: Kuma Aikido, see web site
Language

did anyone else have a problem with the language when they started.
I was doing tincans all over the place, one technique was a simosa and at the end of a class I was saying oh no i've forgotton my gas mask
Old 10-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #2
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
When we begin, we bow in and say "Oh-my-gosh-a-mouse."

Jeanne
Old 10-13-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Clayton Kale
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido Academy
Cool

I guess that's one of the advantages of taking a less traditional form. :: puts on flame retardant suit::

Because we're a style that doesn't descend from O Sensei's Aikido, and becauase most of the people in my class have English as their first language (the rest have Spanish or Italian but speak English) we call most things by English names (except for concepts such as ki or maai and stances like hanmi and jigatai<sp?>). I know the hardcore traditionalists out there would prefer everything to keep its Japanese name, and I always ask what something's called in Japanese to satisfy my curiosity (and to keep up with you guys on this board!) But my teacher made a good point when I asked him why we don't call things by their Japanese names. "You speak English!"

I appreciate the effort to keep things traditional, but whether it's called a kokyu nage or a spin-around, kote gaeshi or front-wrist throw, it's still Aikido to me.

I say Po-tay-toe, you say po-tah-toe, but it's the same ki to me.

"Pefect practice makes perfect." -Steven A. Weber Godan Nihon Goshin Aikido

Old 10-16-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
jane, i understand the 'my gas mask' and the tincans, but what technique is "simosa"?

i couldn't figure it out, even after thinking for an hour

*burning curiosity

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 10-16-2003, 12:22 PM   #5
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
I am a bum.

I've found doing aikido in different places that a common language is really useful as I can understand the basics of a class in any country.

The poetry gets lost in the translation too perhaps.

My mum says the same thing of Latin and Catholicism.

Mark

x
Old 10-16-2003, 02:42 PM   #6
Chris Linneman
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
I came from a very traditional Shotokan school which used the japanese terms for techniques, so, during my search for an aikido school, the traditional terminology was a plus in my mind (being the anal-retentive person I am).

However, so far (after a wopping total of 3 classes), I've found the aikido terms much more difficult, both in pronounciation and in my ability to remember what means what. Are there any good references out there for this (preferably one with pictures)?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:59 AM   #7
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
In Taiwan natually all the techniques are in Chinese. Example "Ikkyo" would be "Yi Jao" or "Nikyo" would be "Er Jao". (or first technique and second technique). When asking about a technique usually only the head instructor of a dojo will have a clue of what the Japanese term is.

Ryan
Old 03-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
Jane Woodcock

Re: Language

Hi Maresa, simosa was the only ay i could remember sumiotosh. kind of a word association thing. trouble was it took me ages to lose that and come up with the right name
Old 03-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
malsmith
Dojo: Masters of Aikido in Fogelsville
United_States

i think the terminology is kinda easy once you know what little parts of the words mean.... like "han" means half so anything with "han" in it is probably going to only have to do with one half of the body.

but in my dojo we do use the japanese names all of the time... so i pick the words up pretty quickly.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
Jane Woodcock

Hi had some more thoughts on language. i have written some short stories on aikido language. have a read see what you think
Attached Files
File Type: txt H10.txt (4.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 03-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #11
gundisalwa
Dojo: Dô, Clube de Aikido / Lisboa
Portugal

In my dojo we learn the names of techniques in Japanese, which IMO is a better approach than having local terminology. It provides a common verbal platform between people from diferent dojos or even diferent countries. If everyone uses their own terminology the comunication becomes much more difficult. It's the same thing as writing a paper to a conference: it's almost always in english! (and I'm portuguese).

Of course, in the beggining, it will be hard to follow and associate the names with the movements or techniques but, eventually, it will stop being a problem (at least that's what happened to me).

HOWEVER there's an important thing to keep in mind. It's also very useful (could even say essencial) that the instructor has some idea about the meaning of the words so that the name of a technique won't seem just like some strange word. We also do that in my dojo.

So, gradually we start associating the names with the movements and the names with their meaning, getting the best of both approaches.

One thing is sure. Regardless of the terminology approach, like Clayton said "it's still Aikido".

Just my thoughts...

Gonçalo

PS: My dojo approach is also cool because I like leaning some japanese words!!
Old 03-24-2005, 05:21 AM   #12
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jane Woodcock wrote:
I was doing tincans all over the place, one technique was a simosa and at the end of a class I was saying oh no i've forgotton my gas mask
Or the Geordie equivalent.

"Dennat walk on the grass"
Plus I've only just realised what the difference between Tai no Henko and Tai Sabaki is....

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 04-10-2005, 11:15 PM   #13
Hardware

Dojo: Ronin (sort of...)
Canada

Quote:
Tim Gerrard wrote:
Or the Geordie equivalent..:
What part of the U.K. are "Geordies" from?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:04 AM   #14
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Geordies are from Newcastle, up in the North East, not to be confused with Mackems (from sunderland), or Smoggies (from Middlesborough), although we sound more or less the same to a casual listener.

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:26 AM   #15
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

If you told me to do a technique using the english name, i'd probably take about half an hour to figure out what you mean...
Old 04-24-2005, 03:08 PM   #16
Jane Woodcock

Dead Re: Language

Quote:
Stuart Norton wrote:
If you told me to do a technique using the english name, i'd probably take about half an hour to figure out what you mean...
Yes but it also takes half an hour to say it in english. plus I think it sounds better in japanese. much more ?romantic? , ?flowing?