Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
akiy

YouTube: Mary Heiny Sensei - Aikido Demonstration

Here is a short video of an Aikido demonstration by Mary Heiny (6th dan, Seattle WA) in January, 2010 in Mountain View, CA.

Mary Heiny first encountered Aikido in Tokyo, Japan where she saw Morihei Ueshiba teaching at Aikikai Hombu Dojo in Tokyo, Japan. She studied at Aikikai Hombu Dojo in 1968-1973 as well as with Michio Hikitsuchi (10th dan) in Shingu, Japan. She is now currently in the Seattle, WA area.

What are your thoughts on this video?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Re: YouTube: Mary Heiny Sensei - Aikido Demonstration

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
What are your thoughts on this video?
I thought uke's were very generous polite and accommodating. Uke from hell, well that's another story.

Motto tsuyoku
Old 05-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Uke from hell would be another art...She moved very well for where she is in life.. Her timing was good and her technique smooth.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 05-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

How old is she now?

For what it was - I think it was very well done. She was quite robust in her execution.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

she got all kind of interesting stories of her time studing aikido in Japan. what she got from Shingu, is if you can't throw at least 3 atemi in any technique, then you aren't doing it right. she was the one that told us about the iriminage where nage dunk uke down, then go up, then throw. she kinda giggled and said "it's like hauling a sack of potato!" every time i saw that sort of iriminage i can hear her voice saying "hauling a sack of potato" and i have the urge to giggle.

she also said "don't look for things that are different in aikido techniques, but looking for what are the same'.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 05-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Heiny sensei is just wonderful. Having had the privilege of being in a dojo that she visits regularly I have had many private and semi-private lessons with her which have been a great help to me in my own training. She has a wonderful way of connecting with people and helping them to find ways of understanding not only the technique but how a person can adapt it to their own physical limitations.

Her stories about aikido are always interesting and for me and others in my dojo she is an inspiration. She will always be a favorite teacher and a strong influence on my aikido style.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I really enjoyed it! I like the progression from the initial couple contacts to the more flowing movements afterward. Thank you for sharing it!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Heiny Sensei is 71. Also, she has had one hip and one knee replaced and had to learn to move again with the new joints. She is also a survivor of polio. The vaccine came about about 6 months after she caught the disease. While her case was not severe, she has suffered the after effects her entire life.

Given all that, she does move well!