Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
tim evans
United_States
Throwing with shihonage

Having trouble throwing with power. I,m throwing more outward than downward if that makes any sense any thoughts.thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Throwing with shionage

You are likely not getting enough arch on your turn. When you turn, exaggerate the distance you pull uke's hands from his body, this with better break his balance. If done correctly, he should be falling before you even finnish your throw.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
allowedcloud
United_States

Hi Tim,

Imagine doing shihonage with a sword.

The basic form is: tsuki - raise to jodan - turn - shomen strike. So as you throw at the end imagine cutting with a sword like you're doing suburi - but gently. Actually as you do this you really shouldn't be throwing with your arm muscles at all. Something I've been working on is to try to initiate the throw with my legs and knees - legs spiral to move center (hara), center moves the arms ("one thing moves everything moves")

You can also practice breathing while doing the technique. As you inhale imagine your breath flowing from the earth into your feet, up your legs and filling your center (hara) and coming up the spine - while at the same time dropping your weight. As you exhale imagine your breath flowing out through your fingertips. If done correctly uke should experience an 'up' sensation before being thrown.

Also keep your center facing uke at all times. Uke should never be behind you (unless you're doing ushiro waza where the point is to remedy that situation as soon as possible) or to the side of you.

Best of luck!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Janet Rosen

yep

Quote:
Joshua Landin wrote: View Post
Hi Tim,

The basic form is: tsuki - raise to jodan - turn - shomen strike. So as you throw at the end imagine cutting with a sword like you're doing suburi - but gently. Actually as you do this you really shouldn't be throwing with your arm muscles at all. Something I've been working on is to try to initiate the throw with my legs and knees - legs spiral to move center (hara), center moves the arms ("one thing moves everything moves")

You can also practice breathing while doing the technique. As you inhale imagine your breath flowing from the earth into your feet, up your legs and filling your center (hara) and coming up the spine - while at the same time dropping your weight. As you exhale imagine your breath flowing out through your fingertips. If done correctly uke should experience an 'up' sensation before being thrown.

Also keep your center facing uke at all times. Uke should never be behind you (unless you're doing ushiro waza where the point is to remedy that situation as soon as possible) or to the side of you.

Best of luck!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
NagaBaba

Re: Throwing with shihonage

Here you have an excellent example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgBS1IcrNzo

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post

I know that often video doesn't "show" what is happening, but watching this a few times, while the technique is being done crisply and cleanly, I don't see uke being off-balance - either laterally weighted onto one foot or uprooted onto tiptoe - before Kanai Sensei moves under her arm.
I don't consider it safe for me as nage to proceed if my opening hasn't unbalanced uke.
I may be off-base here but that's my honest interpretation of what I'm seeing.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:

An excellent example of what? I don't usually like to criticise teachers with more experience than I have, but to me, that is an excellent example of every bad habit that I try to avoid in my shiho-nage. Particularly note how his bum slips out during his turn so that he is left with arms extended and no ability to cut down. I imagine this might be the problem that the OP was having.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

There are two types of throws from Shihonage. You are currently doing the throwaway version. Master that then move onto the throw directly down version. Both are valid and used for different situations. I was first taught the throwaway.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
There are two types of throws from Shihonage. You are currently doing the throwaway version. Master that then move onto the throw directly down version. Both are valid and used for different situations. I was first taught the throwaway.
Yeah, that was what I was wondering reading the original poster. Is he saying he's currently throwing out and wants to throw down, or that he's trying to throw more outward than downward but not succeeding? I think the former but it's not really clear to me from the wording of the question.

Personally I was taught the outward version first, and it's the one I generally always aim for if I'm not trying to pin.

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 08-30-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Basia Halliop
Canada

"he is left with arms extended and no ability to cut down"

LOL. Preeeeeety sure he's extending his arms on purpose to deliberately throw out and away, rather than down...

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 08-30-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
"he is left with arms extended and no ability to cut down"

LOL. Preeeeeety sure he's extending his arms on purpose to deliberately throw out and away, rather than down...
arms don't throw. body throws.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
arms don't throw. body throws.
Precisely. Arms extended before you start to throw, so that when you slide your body forward, the movement of the body is transferred effectively to uke without requiring any force from the arms.

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 08-30-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Basia Halliop
Canada

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not explaining it well, just -- pretty darn sure he's doing that on purpose.

If the poster is trying to throw down, though, it's maybe less relevant.

Possibly more useful to ask his someone in his own dojo to watch what he's doing, or to take ukemi and see what they feel.

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 08-30-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Basia Halliop
Canada

I can think of more than one different downward version I've seen and felt, too... E.g. some people seem to throw more directly down, where the shomen cut is particularly noticeable, which others rotate their body more at the same time, so it seems to feel more spirally... probably other versions, too...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Hi Tim,

Best of luck!
Hey josh,I worked on this with paul it,s a totally differrent feeling from pinning them on the mat. I almost feel like I,m going to pull ukes arm out of socket doing it. and still trying to figure out how to get my body to do the throw. I,ll get it.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
allowedcloud
United_States

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
Hey josh,I worked on this with paul it,s a totally differrent feeling from pinning them on the mat. I almost feel like I,m going to pull ukes arm out of socket doing it. and still trying to figure out how to get my body to do the throw. I,ll get it.
Hmm, do I owe Paul an apology?

William Gleason sensei will be giving a seminar in Toledo October 3-5th. You should come for even just a day or so if you're able. He's sure to be working on this stuff with us, and more!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Hmm, do I owe Paul an apology?

William Gleason sensei will be giving a seminar in Toledo October 3-5th. You should come for even just a day or so if you're able. He's sure to be working on this stuff with us, and more!
Paul's a great teacher hopefully get to come to the evening classes in the next month.i,ll check and see if I,m working that weekend in oct.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
Precisely. Arms extended before you start to throw, so that when you slide your body forward, the movement of the body is transferred effectively to uke without requiring any force from the arms.
The trouble with this is what happens when uke steps back? Try it sometime. Tori moves forward with arms extended, uke steps back and takes their arm back.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
odudog

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
The trouble with this is what happens when uke steps back? Try it sometime. Tori moves forward with arms extended, uke steps back and takes their arm back.
Nage didn't do the throw correctly. The throw is too horizontal. Also, the slide forward was not big enough.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Nage didn't do the throw correctly. The throw is too horizontal.
Yes. It is too horizontal. The reason for this is that tori is not in a position to cut downwards. Tori is not in that position because he has moved through too deeply and stuck his bum out so that when he turns, he is disconnected from uke and uke has regained her balance.

Quote:
Also, the slide forward was not big enough.
When tori is so far away from uke that he is completely disconnected and he must completely extend his arms just to maintain his grip, how big should that slide forward be? I bet I can take a bigger step back than he can take forward under those circumstances.

In the above video, Kanai sensei either has a very kind uke, or more likely, and uke who knows that sensei is happy to do the elbow breaker version (like the faster ones he does at the end) if he encounters resistance. On that note, uke falls very well from those later throws, and serves as a good example the person who wanted to know how to take high break falls.

By the way, if Chris Li would like to elaborate on his earlier response, that would be nice. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, and I admit my terminology lacked a fair bit of precision and finesse. I've really appreciated being proved wrong by you in the past, and it has always given me something to think about.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
NagaBaba

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I know that often video doesn't "show" what is happening, but watching this a few times, while the technique is being done crisply and cleanly, I don't see uke being off-balance - either laterally weighted onto one foot or uprooted onto tiptoe - before Kanai Sensei moves under her arm.
I don't consider it safe for me as nage to proceed if my opening hasn't unbalanced uke.
I may be off-base here but that's my honest interpretation of what I'm seeing.
I'm not sure it is right place to discuss about Kanai sensei detailed teaching. My intention was to provide an example of powerful throwing from shihonage as requested by Tim. As one can see it quite possible to throw from shihonage with a lot of power an still uke can receive technique in safe way.

Yes we throw this way outside, in order to i.e. maitain correct nage posture - throwing inside compromises martial principles. Also, unbalncing is done by maintaining strong lock on attacker arm elbow from the moment of the contact all time down + keeping him always in mouvent.
This strong lock serves as a connection to uke center so in the moment of throwing it is enough that nage moves his center across a center of uke and throw happens without doing any waving with the arms.

Nagababa

Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
NagaBaba

Quote:
An excellent example of what? I don't usually like to criticise teachers with more experience than I have, but to me, that is an excellent example of every bad habit that I try to avoid in my shiho-nage. Particularly note how his bum slips out during his turn so that he is left with arms extended and no ability to cut down. I imagine this might be the problem that the OP was having.
How should I say it in polite way I'm so happy your are able to spot your bad habits! Keep practice!

Nagababa

Old 08-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Quote:

I am not so keen on what he demonstrates slowly - too horizontal. But when things speed up it is much more to my taste - more vertical.

YMMV
Old 08-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #24
odudog

Quote:
Yes. It is too horizontal. The reason for this is that tori is not in a position to cut downwards. Tori is not in that position because he has moved through too deeply and stuck his bum out so that when he turns, he is disconnected from uke and uke has regained her balance.

When tori is so far away from uke that he is completely disconnected and he must completely extend his arms just to maintain his grip, how big should that slide forward be? I bet I can take a bigger step back than he can take forward under those circumstances.
There are many reasons for doing it in this manner. Other things are in play. From the origin of the technique, there is a sword cut to the waist, hence sticking the butt out so in front of your partner preventing the tip of the sword from getting stuck and having the tip doing most of the damage.. This position is also more favorable to break the shoulder or elbow.

Also, if you slide forward in a particular fashion, you can go deeper than your partner can step back.

Last edited by akiy : 09-02-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Also, unbalncing is done by maintaining strong lock on attacker arm elbow from the moment of the contact all time down + keeping him always in mouvent.
This strong lock serves as a connection to uke center so in the moment of throwing it is enough that nage moves his center across a center of uke and throw happens without doing any waving with the arms.
I can clearly see that the arm lock makes this work, particularly in the faster version. Bill Gleason has an excellent quote about aikido that relies on arm locks to make it work.

Mike, it is really hard to discuss technique online like this. Hopefully one day we will be able to train together to show each other what we mean.

For now, I agree with Janet.