Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-04-2001, 03:33 PM   #1
MarcRaeymaekers
Dojo: Ecole de Budo Kobudo Traditionnel
All the practionners have already heard something about Yin-Yang polarity. But does your teacher explains somewhat of this matter in aikido? Have you heard someone explains to you and your friends the application of this polarization in the practice of everyday?
Yes? No?

Marc Raeymaekers
Brussels - Belgium (Europa)
Old 01-10-2001, 03:43 PM   #2
jin
Circle

Yes, yin and yang allows you to anticipate your opponent. Yin and Yang explains differences between two entities. In a white room, it is easy to see a black chair sitting there, but in a black room, you cannot see the chair. The same applies to you and your opponent. If your mind is empty and your technique pure, you will easily be able to see your opponents intentions because his/her thoughts and movements stick out in comparison to your own.

Rob
Old 01-12-2001, 02:38 PM   #3
cguzik
Yin and Yang

I've heard them equated to kokyu:

Yin is like inhaling
Yang is like exhaling

Two polarities of a continuing cycle, which you must be in touch with in order to blend with your partner.

Chris Guzik
Old 01-29-2001, 06:23 PM   #4
MarcRaeymaekers
Dojo: Ecole de Budo Kobudo Traditionnel
Ok jin I know what is Yin Yang. My question was just to know if your teacher explain this in the practice of aikido (or in an other practice).

cguzik: only in kokyu-nage?? Are you sure?
Old 02-02-2001, 10:20 AM   #5
jin
Quote:
MarcRaeymaekers wrote:
Ok jin I know what is Yin Yang. My question was just to know if your teacher explain this in the practice of aikido (or in an other practice).

And my answer was, yes. That is what I was told. You can use it to anticipate your opponent's move, or blend with it

Rob
Old 02-05-2001, 09:36 AM   #6
cguzik
Quote:
MarcRaeymaekers wrote:

Actually, I was referring to kokyu in the more generic sense, as breath-energy. In this context I would say kokyu is part of all aikido, not just the particular throw we call kokyu-nage. In this way yin and yang are also part of all aikido... the study of giving and receiving.

Chris Guzik
Old 02-12-2001, 08:13 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I have heard yin/yang a lot in aikido and it makes perfect sense to me to consider it during practise. As we all know, it is very difficult to deal with a weak attack. The stronger (yin) an attack is the easier it is to overcome it with gentleness (yang). Also, if you wish to initiate a response you need to be aggressive (yin), and then most people try to respond with an aggresive (yin) response, at which point you can then change to yang. Make sense?

Tai-chi Chuan is very definately ties in with yin and yang, and at a recent push-hands game I could really feel the yin and yang and the way that a persons force can be taken advantage of. Ueshiba is said to have the view of 'I am the universe' and that he had attained harmony with it and, like the universe, disharmony (e.g. through an attack) was dealt with by him in a natural manner through the tendancy of the universe to restore balance. That is why aikido as an ideal is undefeatable.

Ian