Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #176
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
John Chapman wrote:
I'm working on 'round'. Please don't tell me I'm eating all those cakes for nothing!
Round is way hott baby...

You might be an Aikido addict if you think round is hott
Old 01-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #177
Ryan Sanford
Dojo: Northwest Aikido
United_States

You might be an addict if you spend your whole hour in web design looking at this web site...
Old 01-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #178
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

... you play the same Youtube clip every time you go online.

.... you dread clearing your browser cache because you know it will take forever to redownload the aforementioned clip (yes, I still have dialup).
Old 01-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #179
Tinyboy344

United_States

you have your own shomen in your room ( scroll, O'Sensei photo and a weapon stand)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #180
mwible
Dojo: Aikido of Suenaka-Ha in Greater Richmond
United_States

i must say, i think i am an aikido addict!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #181
Chikai Aikidoka

When for a second consider Irimi or Tenkan while entering a crowded round about with you car
Old 01-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #182
Chikai Aikidoka

... when you keep thinking ....

nice Tenkan ....
nice irimi ...
oooh... she could'ave put up a nice Ryote dori Iriminage on him'

while watching 'Dancing with the Stars"!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #183
Chikai Aikidoka

or when ur wife about to hold ur hand (in an intimate moment).... then .... she suddenly withdraw it knowing ur expected, by now, reflex .... nice Katate!
Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #184
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

When you're the only one who tested on Tuesday night....that shows up for class on Wednesday. Rarin to go!!!!!

1st Kyu! Woo hoo!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 01-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #185
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Congrats!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #186
Rigel Keffer
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States

WOW! Congratulations! Hoodyhoo!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #187
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Karen Wolek wrote:
When you're the only one who tested on Tuesday night....that shows up for class on Wednesday. Rarin to go!!!!!

1st Kyu! Woo hoo!
Look at you! Keep at it, and have a good time.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 01-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #188
Karen Wolek
United_States

Thanks, Ron, James, and Rigel! I had a really fun time at my test. Imagine that!

Karen
Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #189
scott rogers
Dojo: Shinzen Dojo
United_States

thats hilarious because about a week ago my wife and i were in a rite aid and she came up behind me and put her hand on my shoulder and i got her in a sankyo hold.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #190
Karen Wolek
United_States

You have to catch yourself as you almost say, "Yes, Sensei" to your college (art) professor.....

Karen
Old 01-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #191
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom
Disgust Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
... you are bummed out by the fact that you have gone more than a week without going to Aikido class.

... you started this thread and post a message just to bump it.
a WEEK! you think a single WEEK without aikido is bad? i'm in my SECOND YEAR at uni and therefore away from home and my aikido club, i train obsessively when i'm home to try and get a fix. there is a dojo in my adoptive city but it's at the other side of town and for some reason my friends worry about the city's thugs and don't like the idea of me getting the bus home alone after training, weird people. i do jujitsu and kobudo at uni so at least i'm doing something but i think the people i train with there can tell when i'm going into withdrawl, i start picking holes in the techniques and last timeend up grappling with a 3rd dan, i would have had him too except sensei was coming over to see what was going on.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #192
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

Quote:
Robert Jackson wrote:
You're sitting in your office talking... your chair breaks sending fly backwards... UshirioUkemi comes into play and your hands slap the carpet without even thinking... you marvel at your ukemi before you even think to wonder what actually happened.... or why your coworkers are laughing.
similar but not
doing jujitsu because it's better than doing nothing, you're taught a new throw (ricebail?) and the first time you do it your momentum is such that you ushiro ukemi right over the 1st dan training you, releasing your choke hold and coming up ready to slam him head off the tatami if he looks at you wrong, then are told, "you're only going for orange you aren't supposed to go that far, but if you want to then just roll to your knees then punch him in the face."

a few more
you automatically drop to seiza to recieve instruction, even when that's not the done thing when practicing a different art

you knee walk around despite the weird looks from all around you

every time you walk over a certain piece of ground you have the irresistable urge to mae ukemi (i haven't yet, only because it's at work, and i work in a student bar, but it's a perfect place for ukemi practice, carpeted for a little give, suitable length and width and yea, i'm addicted)

one of your housemates reminds you that "we're both english, so speak english" because you prefer the term ukemi to roll
Old 01-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #193
Rigel Keffer
United_States

Well, I've taken my son (who often comes to class with me and hangs out on the edge of the mats) into the aikido abyss with me!

One of his classmates had a birthday party at the skating rink this afternoon. It was my son's first time roller skating ever. OUCH!
As I approached teaching my son to skate, anyone overhearing would've thought they were in a dojo:

When you fall backward, tuck your chin! Tuck your chin! Keep your head up!

When you fall forward, don't fall onto your wrists! Spread out the impact!

Keep your center! Keep your center!

OK, do what Mr. Bob (the sensei) does! Fall like Mr. Guy! Fall like Mr. Dave!

(BTW, score one for me: I roller skated for the first time in 12 years and actually held my own! )

And, the Japanese terminology: a) odd looks from other parents b) my son understood!

Last edited by Rigel Keffer : 01-21-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #194
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote:
a WEEK! you think a single WEEK without aikido is bad? i'm in my SECOND YEAR at uni and therefore away from home and my aikido club, i train obsessively when i'm home to try and get a fix. there is a dojo in my adoptive city but it's at the other side of town and for some reason my friends worry about the city's thugs and don't like the idea of me getting the bus home alone after training, weird people. i do jujitsu and kobudo at uni so at least i'm doing something but i think the people i train with there can tell when i'm going into withdrawl, i start picking holes in the techniques and last timeend up grappling with a 3rd dan, i would have had him too except sensei was coming over to see what was going on.
One year? I didn't do it for sixteen years before I succumbed to withdrawal and came back.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #195
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
.... you are contemplating (I haven't made any plans yet) a 1,646 mile (2633.6 km) multi-part round trip road trip to follw your sensei to a seminar he's going to teach in Cincinatti.
...You not only did that trip in '05, but again in '06 and, well, right now!

... You are going to take Sensei's advice to try and swing through Wright Patterson AFB's museum on the way home.

(Ok, the second is not really about Aikido, but I'm taking his advice!)
Old 01-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #196
Karen Wolek
United_States

Quote:
Rigel Keffer wrote:

(BTW, score one for me: I roller skated for the first time in 12 years and actually held my own! )

And, the Japanese terminology: a) odd looks from other parents b) my son understood!
Rigel,

You might get a kick out of something I wrote last year:

http://www.aikidoeast.com/aikidoeast...rticle_4.shtml

Karen
Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #197
Rigel Keffer
United_States

Karen! I liked your article. I kept thinking, "Exactly!" Oh, and add a big appreciation for having mats to land on!

Maybe we should have our next dojo parties at a roller rink!

All I know is, I held my own respectably, but I am definitely looking forward to the next chiropractor appointment!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #198
Freerefill

Dojo: North Country Aikido
United_States

... If the only Aikido class you've ever missed was due to a information session on a test that, if passed, will allow you to become licensed in the field that you've spent the past 3.5 years studying.

... If, after 4 months, you're still upset for missing that class.

... If you wish you had a larger dorm room to practice rolls.

... If you show up 15 minutes early to practice, set up the entire dojo yourself, and sit in seiza and meditate before anyone else shows up.

... If the aforementioned behavior is routine, and you're upset if you don't adhere to it.

... If you're walking to class in -10 below and, upon spying a fresh 6 inches of snow, you ponder if it would be soft enough to roll on.

... If you've been putting off homework to read this thread.

... If you've been putting off homework to respond to this thread.

... If you think your umbrella would make a really great shinai and have, on more than one occasion, seriously considered bringing it to weapons practice in place of a bokken.

... If you joke with your dojo mates on what a hakama made entirely out of chainmaille would be like.

... If you seriously considered making a hakama out of chainmaille.

and most importantly...

... If you hang around for an extra 15 - 20 minutes after the dojo is cleaned up, with sweat dripping off your back, your throat dry and your body sore, knowing that you have a cold glass of water and a hot shower waiting for you at home, just so you can hang out and chat with the people you unquestionably know are your true family.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #199
Rigel Keffer
United_States

Quote:
Mark Mercier wrote:
... If you're walking to class in -10 below and, upon spying a fresh 6 inches of snow, you ponder if it would be soft enough to roll on.
Aikidoka snow angels!

Quote:
... If you've been putting off homework to read this thread.

... If you've been putting off homework to respond to this thread.
Ummm, well, yeah, of course. And, I'd add: If you've ever called this forum up onto your laptop screen during a boring lecture!

Quote:
... If you think your umbrella would make a really great shinai and have, on more than one occasion, seriously considered bringing it to weapons practice in place of a bokken.
I have an issue of a martial arts journal that contains an article about canes as weapons and also mentioned umbrellas. There are even specially designed canes and weapons specifically for use as martial arts weapons.

Quote:

... If you joke with your dojo mates on what a hakama made entirely out of chainmaille would be like.

... If you seriously considered making a hakama out of chainmaille.
OOOOOOOOOOOoooooo, coooooooollll!!! I want one!

Quote:
... If you hang around for an extra 15 - 20 minutes after the dojo is cleaned up, with sweat dripping off your back, your throat dry and your body sore, knowing that you have a cold glass of water and a hot shower waiting for you at home, just so you can hang out and chat with the people you unquestionably know are your true family.
Don't we all? I consider it one of the best parts of training!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #200
TeppoLeinonen
Finland

When in army (conscription service & reserves where I live) you get commendations for saving the 12-meter telescope mast (which wouldn't have taken the crash of itself, let alone my 80 kilos plus my combat gear) by taking a forward breakfall into high right-knee front kneel when slipping while hauling it... In a demo... and make it look like the mast was going to be planted at that point so you did it the fancy way...

I still pity thta none of the people watchign the demo had video cameras at hand... I only have second-hand impressions of that breakfall, I was too dazzled by the suddenness of it all.