Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How physically tired are you usually after one hour of aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 26, 2005:

How physically tired are you usually after one hour of aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Extremely tired
  • Very tired
  • Somewhat tired
  • Not very tired
  • Not at all tired
Here are the current results.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
Re: Poll: How physically tired are you usually after one hour of aikido training?

I said "very tired", but it depends on the class. Some classes make me extremely tired and some I really don't feel tired at all. Depends on the techniques practiced, the ukemi taken, and the partners I worked with.

If I end up with a one-on-one class with Sensei, I can barely move afterwards. Advanced/freestyle class comes in a close second. If it's a class where I mostly work with beginners, I'm not tired at all. Most classes are somewhere in between, but now that it's a sauna in the dojo.........I end up pretty freakin tired after every class!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 06-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
malsmith
Dojo: Masters of Aikido in Fogelsville
United_States
Re: Poll: How physically tired are you usually after one hour of aikido training?

Quote:
Karen Wolek wrote:
now that it's a sauna in the dojo.........I end up pretty freakin tired after every class!
amen to that!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I voted "not very tired" then i remembered the last class...it all depends!

Jeanne
Old 06-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

Depends.
A normal class: not really tired at all.
A class heavy on the jiwu waza: knackered.
A hajime class: just about ready to be scraped off the mats.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 AM   #6
Zato Ichi

Training in a dojo in the heart of Osaka with no air con in the middle of a Japanese summer (if you've never experienced a Japanese summer, consider yourself very lucky) - dead tired and totally dehydrated.

Having one of the top randori guys in Japan call you over after that class and do a little tanto and toshu randori - praying for the sweet release of death...
Old 06-27-2005, 04:34 AM   #7
bbleeker

Netherlands

I voted 'somewhat tired', but really it depends on the class; sometimes I'm not very tired, and other times I'm totally knackered - like the last 2 classes, when it was like training in a sauna (we're having a beautiful summer :-)

Berna Bleeker
Old 06-27-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Haruo-san,

No need for a Japanese summer. We train in a school sport hall: all made of metal and concreet with of course, no air conditioning at all. We now have added water breaks to the Shodokan base practices!!!

Last edited by Yann Golanski : 06-27-2005 at 05:10 AM.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-27-2005, 05:32 AM   #9
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

I'd add my vote to "it depends", normally ranges from tired to absolutely knackered, with the added complaint of "who decided we finish with randori?"

Yann, ha! Wuss, in my day tomiki practitioners used to go three days without liquids and felt nowt...
Old 06-27-2005, 06:05 AM   #10
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I wrote not very tired, but in fact it depends, most my practices are after a days work and often I am very tired to begin with. Further, our classes last for slightly more then 2 hours, the first hour is normally not too difficult or we would not be able to finish the lesson.

Amir
Old 06-27-2005, 06:05 AM   #11
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

It depends. Mostly on whos teaching, what they want to get across that class and how much im used as uke. Ive had classes where I hardly broke a sweat and ive had classses where I couldnt get out of bed the next day.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #12
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I hate dojos that only train for an hour - what's the point?

Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #13
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Lunchtime class, morning class and other such things.

Try randori for one hour and you'll see it's plenty long enough, even with water breaks.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-27-2005, 09:17 AM   #14
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

One thing that takes me out of breath within minutes, regardless of the shape I am in, is Randori with Sensei. It can be Tai-Jutsu randori, Jo Randori or Kodachi (I am not up to Bokken Randori yet). In each of those the concentration required takes all my energy away swiftly.

Amir
Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #15
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Hi folks,

I voted "Not Very Tired" since our classes usually go for at least 2 hours, so after the 1st hour we are getting warmed up for randori.

Of course being in a non-airconditioned room under the stands of an indoor sports complex in the nicely humid Caribbean there are those who need the occasional water break though. But when it's a seniors only session or randori session however, just call us the "Hot as Hell" Dojo. During these sessions we have the cooler filled with Beer for First Aid puposes, iow revival of those who have to be dragged off the mat.

If Pain is Weakness leaving the body, Sweat is Laziness leaving the body. Hooyah!
LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 06-27-2005 at 09:44 AM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #16
Drew Scott
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
Sweat is Laziness leaving the body.
Ok, that's going into the permanent file.

Regards,
Drew
Old 06-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #17
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

When Randy and I were both fifth kyu, he got to take ukemi for sensei for an entire hour. I said afterwards, "I'm so jealous!" and he looked at me with wide eyes and sweat dripping off his hair.

"You know, when everyone else got to sit down, I got to take ukemi...."

Having now had that experience, yeah, it makes a huge difference missing those little demo breaks.

I visited one dojo where I joined and greatly enjoyed their beginner's class, then sat to watch their advanced class, and quickly came to the conclusion that it would have killed me. Not because the ukemi were too difficult, but they did them fast and absolutely relentlessly--the forward ukemi drill looked as though sensei were dribbling his uke, basketball style.

If you sweat *that* much laziness out of my body, there'd be nothing left but a limp deflated sack.

Mary Kaye
Old 06-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #18
Mike.Ordway
Dojo: Massena Martial Arts
United_States

I voted very tired because every time I go to Aikido I have to ride my bike there. 2 miles there... 1 hour of aikido then 2 miles back. That takes a lot out of me usually. But hey, in the month ive been doing aikido (yes yes im completely new) I have already lost 7 lbs.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #19
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
I hate dojos that only train for an hour - what's the point?
If the alternative is no training????

You can do a lot in an hour.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 PM   #20
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
R. Haruo Hori wrote:
Training in a dojo in the heart of Osaka with no air con in the middle of a Japanese summer (if you've never experienced a Japanese summer, consider yourself very lucky) - dead tired and totally dehydrated.
Horisan,

You poor thug... is Osaka a city in a third world country? Hmmm maybe I should donate my used air-con units to you poor souls.
(Kidding!)

Anyway... you lucky bast@rd, you have the top people to train with. I guess I should be very afraid to face you in the mat if I ever have a chance.

Train well Horisan.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:22 PM   #21
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I have a new dojo group pic I will up-load. We will play spot the Shodothug. It will take a day or so for Jun to approve. Note the level of sweat.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-28-2005, 02:27 AM   #22
happysod
United Kingdom

There's one! (points upwards)
Old 06-28-2005, 02:30 AM   #23
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

True - they are all Shodothugs in the pici. But which one is Hori-san?
Pici not yet approved - too scary maybe.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #24
happysod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Pici not yet approved - too scary maybe.
probably, I want at least a 16Yuck rating on this (18Yuck for us fruities of course - sweat, the very idea..)
Old 06-28-2005, 03:10 AM   #25
eva

I voted "somewhat tired" but it really depends on who is teaching, who I'm training with (with beginners you usually get a lot more "standing around while sorting feet and hands" than with more advanced folks).... and it definitely depends on the weather: last night in this hot weather I already felt a bit tired after about 5 minutes of jo suburi (but the level of tiredness didn't really increase during the rest of the two hours.... )
Eva