Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
fvhale
Dojo: none
aikido & yoga sutra

Enjoying many recent threads on AikiWeb about flash, ki, diet, do/michi and Zen, I have come back again to the Yoga Sutra, written somewhere between 200 BC and 200 AD.

Please excuse the Sanskrit in what follows; it is hard to translate, of course. The eight limbs of yoga in the sutra are: (1) yama, social behavior, including ahimsa, nonviolence, and satya, truth; (2) niyama, inner discipline and responsibility; (3) asana, the physical postures of yoga practice; (4) pranayama, breath exercises; (5) pratyahara, withdrawl from sensory distracions; (6) dharana, focusing the mind on one point; (7) dhyana, non-dualistic meditation or Zen; (8) samadhi, englightenment?

Has anyone commented on this sutra from the perspective of their aikido practice, or looked at their aikido practice from the perspectiv of this sutra?

A very nice site for the sutra is http://www.santosha.com/philosophy/yoga-sutra.html

Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Interesting concept Frank. Reminds me of when I first read "The Secrets of Aikido" by John Stevens. In those days I really tried to "live" the "". Haven't been so focused in recent times though.

When I did follow/meditate on it however, things started appearing to me that I had not seen before, especially in the way the philosophy affects on mat and off mat training and then how one could apply those techniques and principles to life. Things regarding how when one moved from a centre of peace and projected that energy it tended to infect and affect everything you came into contact with. It was baffling, almost scary how some situations that appeared almost certain to end up in a nasty fight ended up in friendship instead.

At a certain point a lot of very important life decisions depended on my reflection on this and other sutras. Also, there is a buddhist one called the heart sutra that is at the back of the Stevens book - things can get really interesting when meditating on that one as well.

It's interesting to note that the book "The Art of Peace" expands upon each of these "eight limbs" in a very interesting fashion via the quotations of Ueshiba M. on Aikido training and life.

Just my thoughts.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca