Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-09-2002, 09:15 AM   #1
Fminor

Bruised...

I need some tips about bruises -
I've been practicing Aikido for almost a year now and I keep getting these "temporary tattoos" on my arms (especially from Ikkyo and from enthusiastic katate-dori grips...).
People at work must be thinking I'm an abused woman...
Do people get eventually "immunied" to these marks ?
Do guys suffer from it as often ?
Any tips how to make them disappear quickly ?

Efrat
Old 09-09-2002, 09:33 AM   #2
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Hi Efrat,

been doing aikido close to twenty years and I still get those bruises too! Some people are more sensitive than others to bruising. Arnica gel helps a bit, but not tremendously.

the bruises do seem to lessen a bit, but if you take a week off, then they are back....

best,

Rachel
Old 09-09-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
aikigreg
Dojo: Mizu Aikido
Same here. Bruises on arms each and every week, and Dogi imprints from breakfalls as well. . Just look at it as a badge of honor unless it hasn't healed enough and still hurts. Makes the next day's yonkyo a real chore, lemme tell ya!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:10 AM   #4
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Same here.. I mainly get bruises on my triceps from ikkyu nikkyu etc. I usually put a little neosporin on the bruises and that seems to clear them up quickly, ice works well too.

Cheers

diesel
Old 09-09-2002, 12:07 PM   #5
Jermaine Alley
Dojo: Aikido Of Richmond
Dings and Bruises

I have been studying MA for a little while and get bruises all the time. It really depends on how sensitive your skin is.

I think that as long as you practice or participate in aikido, you will always suffer a minor boo-boo depending on what you do.

I think that it happens to all of us..especially to those of us that like to put a little bit of "umph" in our attacks and defenses.

I had to take off for about two weeks, cuz of my schedule this past month. This past saturday, i had to teach class and wanted it to be a bit on the grueling side if you know what i mean. Well, at the end of class, i had scratches on my wrist (from participating) and my right buttock was sore from taking a bad fall. I love to feel the burn the day after a really hard class.

After some time, i think that you will become immune to them.

I studied one martial art where we practiced conditioning the knuckles, forearms, shins etc. i always had a sore spot. But then i am african-american and dark skinned too..so a lot of stuff doesn't really show upon me at all. Things would be worse if I were fair skinned.

Try to take it easy in the beginning. The sore spots will be reduced as your experience in aikido improves also.

You might want to take note of which people in your dojo cause the most bruises on your person and file that away for future practices...have fun..j
Old 09-09-2002, 03:23 PM   #6
Fminor

I know what you mean about "noting" people in my Dojo (like those who like to use their thumbs during Ikkyo, etc).
I usually ask them after class if they want to sign their name next to the work of art they've left on my upper arm...
Tell you the truth - I do enjoy those "proof I've being practicing" marks, but it doesn't look so good to other people I know.
I do have one admirer at my work who keeps asking to see "the latest marks", so there's maybe hope for me after all...

Efrat
Old 09-09-2002, 04:11 PM   #7
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Ice. Can't beat it for bruises. There's some excellent medications I think (Someone mentioned neosporin), but I've just always rubbed ice around the bruise. Works great, and adds an interesting flavour to your drink. (Ick!)

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:32 PM   #8
akiy

It's been said that arnica works pretty well for healing bruises.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-09-2002, 06:56 PM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
I`ve been doing Aiki close to 11 years now and like everyone else here, I still bruise up a treat. It varies from uke to uke and technique to technique as to how hard they feel they need to grab me. Sometimes I go for a few weeks without bruises, sometimes I`ll get them every day. I have found over the years that they seem to disappear a little quicker. Arnica has already been mentioned, try using the tablets to complement the cream.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 09-10-2002, 12:58 AM   #10
Fminor

Thank you all for your replies !
Apart from ice, you've mentioned 2 medicines (Arnica and Neosporin).
I'm not sure I can get these ones here, but there must be something similar.
I'm curious - what does it do to heal the bruise ?

Efrat

P.S The other Aikidokas in my Dojo are quite amused by the fact I've started a thread about bruises...
Old 09-10-2002, 01:29 AM   #11
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Arnica is a natural homeopathic medicine. If you can`t find it locally, do a browse on the web, you should be able to find somewhere that will do on line orders.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 09-10-2002, 01:35 AM   #12
Ali B
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I must say I´m a little surprised at the answers on this subject...I have aways thought that if you bruise its because your not relaxed enough. It has been my experience (meagre as it is), after changing from a class where I was black and blue twice a week, to one where a bruise was a rare occurrence.

The aikido (IMHO) was even more powerful than the first class but the teacher always emphasised the importance of completely relaxing. This of course helps your ability to take technique As we all know yonko hurts more when your tense. Which is why we bruise...

Im not explaining it well, I hope you get what I mean...

Love and light

Ali
Old 09-10-2002, 02:02 AM   #13
Misogi-no-Gyo
Macrobiotic approach

Quote:
Efrat Nir (Fminor) wrote:
Thank you all for your replies ! Apart from ice, you've mentioned 2 medicines (Arnica and Neosporin).

I'm not sure I can get these ones here, but there must be something similar.

I'm curious - what does it do to heal the bruise ?
...on another note, there are literally hundreds of basic treatments that we learn as part of macrobiotics. For bruises and swelling due to impact, there is always a hot ginger compress. The ingredients are readily available at any local grocery store and are very inexpensive:

1. fresh ginger

2. cheese cloth

3. pot of boiling water

4. one large towel, two small towels

5. (optional) moist heating pad

Simply grate about a cup of fresh ginger and put in a cheese cloth. Place in a small pot of boiling water. Reduce the flame and let it simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Remove the cheese cloth and ginger. Place one of the small towels into the hot water and remove with a pair of tongs if you have them. Ring this towel out just enough so that the water does not run. Wrap the injured area with the other, dry small towel and wrap the wet towel (as hot as you can stand it) around the first towel. Cover both towels with the larger one to keep the heat in.

If you have a moist heating pad, pre-heat it and then wrap it around everything else. Your best results will be to treat your injured area for about 15 minutes at the highest heat you can stand once in the morning and once in the early evening.

One thing you should know, ginger is a detoxifier. If you are treating a (minor) lower back injury due to bad ukemi, etc, and are going to treat the area with a ginger compress, [BOLD]PLEASE NOTE[/BOLD] you will probably begin to detoxify your kidneys. You may find that you get extremely tired about twenty minutes after treating your lower back. If you have never done a kidney detox, it can be equated with drinking 6-8 beers in about two minutes and then running a 440 at full sprint only to drink another 6-8 beers - i.e. plan on sitting down (horizontal-like) for a while. Best to just sleep it off. Oh - don't mind the wicked headache when you wake up. Just a precautionary note to the uninitiated.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:23 AM   #14
aikigreg
Or the most obvious thing could be a deficiency of some sort of vitamin or mineral. If you're not taking a good supplement you're probably doing yourself an injustice anyway, and it might help with the bruises.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:28 AM   #15
Fminor

Quote:
Greg Gross (aikigreg) wrote:
Or the most obvious thing could be a deficiency of some sort of vitamin or mineral.
What sort of vitamins and minerals ?
The whole natural medicines and food supplements area is an unfamiliar territory to me.

Efrat
Old 09-11-2002, 04:41 AM   #16
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
I've always found that witch hazel on a compress will bring out a bruise and help it disappear quite quickly. Smells nice too. I used to bruise a lot when I first started Aikido, it doesn't happen so much now, only when I'm practising yonkyo with a gorilla!

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-13-2002, 01:44 PM   #17
jeda
Speaking of bruising.... Has anyone ever had a bruise that affects the muscle? I slammed my shoulder harder than I thought and now I've got a blue knot on my back. Outside of a blunt force trauma (like a smack with a bat)I've never seen anything like it.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:29 PM   #18
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: Bruised...

Quote:
I need some tips about bruises -

I've been practicing Aikido for almost a year now and I keep getting these "temporary tattoos" on my arms (especially from Ikkyo and from enthusiastic katate-dori grips...).
Bruises are just a sign your body has been exposed to an outside force. As IMHO this is usualy a sign of using lots of muscle during training by both partners, the simplest remedy would be to soften up.
Quote:
Do guys suffer from it as often ?
Strong and inflexable minded guys do, soft and relaxed guys don't.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 09-13-2002, 02:31 PM   #19
kung fu hamster
Bruises

Someone assured me that Citrus Bioflavenoids help with bruising, instructions were to take about 2000 mgs a day (orally). If I'm not mistaken, bioflavenoids are like those healthy but nasty tasting orange and grapefruit white rind portions of the peel that I normally throw away, so if you can peel the zest off a grapefruit and eat all that white stuff along with the pulp, it supposedly helps. Easier to take the pills though. Actually the 'pain' feeling of the bruise stops immediately as soon as the person lets go (until they tweak it again), which seems to mean that I either mind it less these days or I have de-sensitized somewhat. Also, it seems that I get over it more quickly, I think over the years my body realized the bruising wasn't going to stop so it decided to heal faster. =
Old 09-13-2002, 07:51 PM   #20
joan
Dojo: Michigan Technological University
Thumbs down

I used to bruise horrendously--I started taking a bioflavonoids capsule daily and now only very rarely show a mark. I never noticed arnica helping with bruises although it works wonders on muscle strains.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:43 AM   #21
erikmenzel

Netherlands
Re: Bruises

Quote:
Linda Morimoto (kung fu hamster) wrote:
Someone assured me that Citrus Bioflavenoids help with bruising, instructions were to take about 2000 mgs a day (orally). If I'm not mistaken, bioflavenoids are like those healthy but nasty tasting orange and grapefruit white rind portions of the peel that I normally throw away, so if you can peel the zest off a grapefruit and eat all that white stuff along with the pulp, it supposedly helps.
The white of citrus fruits is also under research currently for being a suspect factor in the development of stomach cancer.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
Old 09-17-2002, 01:54 AM   #22
Fminor

Quote:
alison macdiarmid (Ali B) wrote:
...I have always thought that if you bruise its because your not relaxed enough. It has been my experience (meagre as it is), after changing from a class where I was black and blue twice a week, to one where a bruise was a rare occurrence.
Quote:
Erik Jurrien Knoops (erikknoops) wrote:
As IMHO this is usually a sign of using lots of muscle during training by both partners, the simplest remedy would be to soften up.
Hi, Ali and Erik.

To soften up is a very good suggestion for myself, especially when I perform all sorts of Ukemi (I've learned it the hard way on breakfalls).
The problem is - how do you soften up your Uke ?
I don't want to be the nagging partner that keeps saying "don't grab so hard" and "you're hurting me" and so on.
After all - they are not giving me a special "hard time", I'm just more sensitive to bruising then others.
Anyway, I've got a seminar coming up this weekend, so I'll get plenty of opportunities to try your recommendations...

Efrat
Old 09-17-2002, 06:10 AM   #23
erikmenzel

Netherlands
Quote:
The problem is - how do you soften up your Uke ?

I don't want to be the nagging partner that keeps saying "don't grab so hard" and "you're hurting me" and so on.

After all - they are not giving me a special "hard time", I'm just more sensitive to bruising then others.
Hmm, tricky. Normal way for uke is to learn by him/herself not to grab to hard and not to squeeze nage to death.

It is difficult to tell from behind the keyboard whether your ukes are really grbbing to hard or whether they are doing it normally and you are just more sensitive for it.

Still, even if you bruis very very easy, there is no shame in asking uke to be considered!

Erik Jurrien Menzel
Old 09-17-2002, 06:25 AM   #24
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Quote:
Hi, Ali and Erik.

Anyway, I've got a seminar coming up this weekend, so I'll get plenty of opportunities to try your recommendations...

Efrat
I think one of the main things to remember is that it is your body. Your Uke should respect that and you should get used to either adapting your technique to not allow them such a strong initial grip or ask them to tone down the grip.

Especially when you a seminar comming up as these can take their toll on your body more than normal training if you have a persitant problem like this.

Your uke probably wont be aware of the problem unless you mention it to them, and when you do they should understand and take that into consideration. (which is one of the reasons we bow to each other before training, a respect for each other in allowing the other to use your body for training. in the trust that you will come to no deliberate harm)

Old 09-17-2002, 12:44 PM   #25
aikigreg
Quote:
What sort of vitamins and minerals ?

The whole natural medicines and food supplements area is an unfamiliar territory to me.

Efrat
Well, at lot will depend on your diet - everyone is usually deficient in something. I try to take a multivitamin at least. I'll snap it in half and take half with breakfast and half with lunch so that I get more of the benefit. I personally supplement a lot with flax oil, extra vitamin E, and some things like glutamine and creatine because I bodybuild as well.

But definately take the vitamin. Will do you a world of good over time.