Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-20-2002, 08:18 AM   #1
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
The Seminar Hound ...

I guess I am a seminar hound, as in I have begun to go to at least six seminars a year while I have tested in four years since my last kyu grade. I notice how the seminar instructors were wondering why I had not advanced in this arena, and although it was partially due to illness, this didn't seem to affect my affinity to attending seminars?

Are any of you affected by the syndrome of wanting to see more of the differences or simularities of Aikido beyond your dojo training?

If so, how do the variations affect your outlook on what is taught at your dojo, and your growth in training in Aikido?

Does it make you want to learn more from books, videos, and other sources, or is it enough to attend class and seminars?
Old 09-20-2002, 09:39 AM   #2
lt-rentaroo
I try to attend as many seminars as possible, however time off from my career (AF) and funding makes it difficult to attend all the seminars I want, so I have to be more selective. I'd say my average is about three seminars each year.

I enjoy attending seminars with instructors whose Aikido is different than what I grew up with. For example, eventhough Ikkyo is a pretty basic technique, each seminar I've attended has shown me a slightly different way to execute it. I've found this adds to my "tool box" of Aikido techniques/applications.

The variations I see do not necessarily affect my opinion of what is taught at my dojo, but rather enhance my belief that eventhough there are many ways to execute the same Aikido technique, the ultimate goal is still the same.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:48 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
My compliments for your courage. I have only gotten of the home mats a few times in the past years and must admit, it was great. It really helped valaidate my training. I didn't see a thin at the Expo I didn't get dialy at home. It did make me more aware of differences and that they all seem to work. Actually after seeing so many people know each other at the Expo, I started posting here. I already have a large video and book collection, so didn't change there excpet to have a body sense of what that means now. I train Aikikai, met one man that made me want to show up at some Ki-Society trainings.

All in all, I can't say I am a seminar hound, more like a puppy.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:59 AM   #4
akiy

If my counting is correct, I'll be heading out to a seminar with Kashiwaya sensei tomorrow, marking my 100th seminar...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-20-2002, 12:09 PM   #5
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
Louis, hear hear! I haven't been on the seminar crcuit lately, but as I ramp up, I'll be doing the same thing -- adding to the "tool box" and only enhancing what we teach, with yet the same principles.

Excellent comment, I liked that.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 09-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

I attended my first seminar after just a few months of training, and was at the first aikido-L seminar, featuring a variety of styles, when I was a 5th kyu student. I was confused but thrilled, and since then I have made a point to try to expose myself to the whole spectrum of aikido, whether its via seminars or where I visit while travelling.

I have also trained with many sempai, people with many more years of experience than me, who have never stepped outside their home dojo except for a seminar or camp their instructor was involved with. Their view of what is aikido, what is possible with it, and how it works is incredibly narrow.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-21-2002, 03:26 PM   #7
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
100, really? Now I am really motivated to get better to do even more seminars than I have been going to.

100 seminars over how long a period of time, Jun? Just wondering, My average is seven per year over the last five years.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:20 PM   #8
akiy

I've averaged at least one a month so far...

I do know of one gentleman in Germany (wonderful guy -- does a great teapot impersonation) who went to, I believe, over 45 weekend courses in the span of one year. I think he lowered this number down to something in the 30's the following year to appease his wife...

-- Jun

PS: I had a good time at the seminar with Kashiwaya sensei. It was great seeing a bunch of people I knew who came in from all over the country for the seminar.

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-22-2002, 05:48 AM   #9
Gri

Dojo: Fukushinkan Dojo
I attended my first seminar (G. Jones, 6th dan Aikikai, UKA) last November while in my sixth month of training. It was a wonderful experience and there were many things that made sense all of a sudden, thanks to the intense training. Since then I've attended three more (four if you count an iaido seminar taught by a teacher who is an aikido teacher as well and we did some aikido on the side) and I hope to attend as many as I can afford. Alas couldn't do the Aikido-L Euroseminar this year but there are at least six I hope I can manage until this year is over. I don't dare to even think in Jun's terms but I'll try my best <g>.

Gri
Old 09-23-2002, 05:19 AM   #10
Chuck.Gordon
United_States
Em and I don't hit as many as we'd like, and we try to attend as many koryu and such as the aikido seminars.

And yes, look in the German dictionary under seminar-lust and you'll see Andy's smiling face. He didn't do the teapot dance or the crystal balls thing at this year's European Aikido-L seminar, but he taught a fine class, nonetheless.

THAT seminar, by the way was GREAT.

Folks in the USA (or anyone willing to travel to California this year) looking for a powerful, cross-cultural, multi-style, non-denominational aikido venue need only attend the Fifth Annual US AIkido-L Seminar. Details at www.aikido-l.org under seminars.

Teachers include:

Jim Baker sensei (4th dan, UASF-East)

Robert Bryner sensei (6th dan, Shotatekan)

Chuck Clark sensei (8th dan, Jiyushinkai)

Dennis Hooker sensei (6th dan, Shindai Aikikai)

David Kunis sensei (4th dan, Stanford Aikido Club)

Larry Novick sensei (3rd dan, ACE Aikido Club)

Now THAT'S a lineup! Em and I are hating that we can't make this one.

More later,

Chuck