Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: Aikido Video Clips...Please Post

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
You would think that, in this day and age, people would know better... Oh well.

Perhaps Mr Smith is trying to comment, from a position of total ignorance, on the fact that African Americans do not seem to be proportionally represented in the ranks of Aikido students. This I believe is the case and I would not be sure why that was true. I would hazard a guess that it might be the lack of focus on functional self defense in the art and that it takes so long before one can be very functional from a practical standpoint. In my youth, when Aikido was starting to take off, African Americans formed the vast majority of the students, at least in urban areas, in Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu. I think that they felt themselves to be more likely to encounter some self defense situation than the middle class white folks who flocked to Aikido.

Anyway, in the DC dojo where I trained, there is now a quite substantial African American student base, although given the fact that DC is by far a majoty African American as a population, it is still an under-represented group at the dojo. Perhaps where Mr Smith has trained this is even more the case...

So, rather than castigate Mr Smith for his ignorance, perhaps an attempt should be made to at least partially educate him...

Yes, Mr Smith, there are African Americans in Aikido.

First of all, if you consider the family of closely related aiki arts to be forms of Aikido, or Aikido as a form of one of them, then we have to start with Moses Powell Sensei. He calls his style Sanuces Ryu but there isn't anything in the style which an Aikido person with a bit of background in karate wouldn't recognize. This man is a living legend and ran a school in New York City for many years back in the seventies. His style did not suffer from any "lack of practicality" so to speak. Most of his students were African American so I think he is very significant in that he trained more African Americans in aiki than any other teacher has. Many run schools around the country today.

In Aikido proper, it is an important fact to know that THE senior American in Aikido, on the mainland, ( by rank anyway) is Amos Parker Sensei at 8th Dan in the Yoshinkan System, an African American. It is perhaps telling that 90% of Aikido students if polled wouldn't know that. Steve Miranda, who regularly posts on the forums is a student of Parker Sensei.

Of course, we should mention that one of the senior teachers of Aikido in the states is an African American female, Lorraine DiAnne Sensei. She is a senior student of Chiba Sensei and trained in Japan for a number of years. In fact there is a notice popping up on the homepage of Aikweb advertising one of her seminars...

If one buys Aikido videos it is impossible not to have encounetered Donovan Waite Sensei's video on Ukemi. He is one of Yamada Sensei's senior students.

I have a friend, Teddy Wilson Sensei, whom I met at the first Aiki Expo... he is an African American Sensei who teaches the Japanese martial art of Aikido in Istanbul, Turkey... true globalization at work...

Anf of course, even if you have never heard of any of these prominent African American Aikido pioneers, any Aikido student worth his salt knows of Ron Tisdale... I mean, where have you been? Ron is internationally known through his cogent posts on all Aikido related forums and has, as you may have noted, already contributed one here.

Anyway, no one be offended if I left someone important off the list here (which I am sure I did) I wrote it totally off the top of my head and didn't even look in the Aiki Encyclopedia to refresh my memory...
Thank goodness. A breath of fresh air amongst the intelluctually stifling, closed-mindedness of liberals.

For the love of God, not everyone is integrated yet folks. Maybe it was a sincere question. Didn't you see "Million Dollar Baby?"

Any of you with a negative response can chock it up as not only a wasted opportunity at improved race-relations, but also as an example of not being the understanding, welcoming person that every white person is expected to be to blacks.

If this guy hasn't been exposed to the "right" thinking, why would you expect it?

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 01-31-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Re: Race and Aikido

"Thank goodness. A breath of fresh air amongst the intelluctually stifling, closed-mindedness of liberals."

Jean i think that has been 'spun' 180 degrees!!!
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liberal

Edwin Neal

Old 01-31-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Adam Alexander
United_States

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
"Thank goodness. A breath of fresh air amongst the intelluctually stifling, closed-mindedness of liberals."

Jean i think that has been 'spun' 180 degrees!!!
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liberal

Agreed. It's a shame that a group of people hijacked the word.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Any of you with a negative response can chock it up as not only a wasted opportunity at improved race-relations, but also as an example of not being the understanding, welcoming person that every white person is expected to be to blacks.
BS. Sometimes tough love is where it's at (as a conservative, you should be familiar with that one). I don't expect every white person to be understanding or welcoming. Experience has taught me not to set my goals that high. Experience has also taught me not to expect that from every black, yellow, or brown person either. And please don't misunderstand me...the vast majority of my cross-cultural experiences of any type are positive these days...overwhelmingly so. But that doesn't vitiate the experiences I have had (and still have on occation) that run counter to the improvements I see today.

I do expect a modicum of 'live and let live' at the *very* least, and hope for some amount of mutual respect if possible. The fact is, the blatant ignorance shown in the post is not nearly as common today as it once was. The reason it's not as common is because people like myself don't have to swallow it anymore. We can speak up, forcefully, immediately, and without equivocation. And we will continue to do so.

If some white male somewhere feels put upon by that...get used to it. Black folk are here to stay.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Adam Alexander
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
BS. Sometimes tough love is where it's at (as a conservative, you should be familiar with that one). I don't expect every white person to be understanding or welcoming. Experience has taught me not to set my goals that high. Experience has also taught me not to expect that from every black, yellow, or brown person either. And please don't misunderstand me...the vast majority of my cross-cultural experiences of any type are positive these days...overwhelmingly so. But that doesn't vitiate the experiences I have had (and still have on occation) that run counter to the improvements I see today.

I do expect a modicum of 'live and let live' at the *very* least, and hope for some amount of mutual respect if possible. The fact is, the blatant ignorance shown in the post is not nearly as common today as it once was. The reason it's not as common is because people like myself don't have to swallow it anymore. We can speak up, forcefully, immediately, and without equivocation. And we will continue to do so.

If some white male somewhere feels put upon by that...get used to it. Black folk are here to stay.

Best,
Ron
Then you responded that way because you believed it was the most effective way to educate the offender about racial sensitivity?

Okay. However, I think it has more to do with your sensitivity than his lack of. In any case, that's not for me to deal with.

Perhaps the reason that people aren't as racially insensitive as they used to be has less to do with you and others "not taking it" and more to do (atleast in my life) with interaction.

As a person who once had a woman accuse me of not waiting on her first because she was black (couldn't possibly be because she was standing five feet out of line and no-one even knew she was there). "Not taking it" in the wrong situation only breeds more problems: It's Aikido: Someone attacks and you sidestep and apply technique--everyone comes out better. However, when you meet force with force--such as might be the case here--no one gains.

On the last statement of "feeling put upon," the issue isn't black folk here to stay, the issue is an out of context attack.

And really, if you read about the Chicago 7, Union 8, the (if I recall the names correctly) groups associated with them and the era, it wasn't about (as I once would of agreed with you) black folks not taking it. It was about white folks recognizing that racism is wrong in most contexts. (It's like Americans thinking it was Washington who won the war rather than recognizing he was crushed had it not been for the French.)

As has been remarked on the time: How could Johnson support racism when he was pointing his finger at other countries for human rights violations?

Even in our wildest dreams it wasn't the threat of people not taking it anymore that caused the change. It was a culture of increased acceptance that changed this country, the eyes of America being opened to what was happening.

Goodness. Just thirty years earlier, MacArthur and Co. was killing our own people during the Great Depression (Vets striking for early payoff).

In any case I'd say your original post only served to reinforce stereotypes. It's too bad. Larry Elder would be disappointed.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

As I recall, most of the Chicago 7 were either white or Jewish.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Jean and Paige,

While I respect your opinions, I completely disagree. This isn't the place for a history lesson, and I'm not the best person to give it anyway. I can only go on what I know, and what I believe to be the best way to proceed.

Youth is no excuse. Isolation is no excuse (especially with cable, the internet, and public libraries). And when good men are silent, bad things happen. I may not be all that good...but I will speak up when I feel it is warrented. The aikido I have learned is about entering. And that's what I will continue to do.

As far as Larry Elder is concerned...I'm sure he would appreciate your speaking for him Blacks are not a monolith...I have a right to my opinion as he has to his. If you think you can shame someone into changing their mind by referencing him...you've got a ways to go.

Last, nothing in my post was an attack, or out of context. If you don't get that...so be it. Sensitivity? Hmmm, I remember a certain group of posts you wrote some time ago that were just bursting with sensitivity. I think I'll find another teacher for that, thanks.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Sensitivity? Hmmm, I remember a certain group of posts you wrote some time ago that were just bursting with sensitivity.
Are you talking about the Catholic Aikido thread? Or are you even talking about me?

If so, the situations are very different.

James made no attack toward you, he simply asked a very stupid question that was directed towards black people.

In the Catholic Aikido thread, Monty Collier made claims about how Catholicism was wrong and unjustified, and yes i think that calls for some sensitivity.

If James had said "Black people can't do Aikido, they are black and aikido is for white people" Then i would be right there backing you up becaue i think something like that could be considered an attack and I'm very much against racism. However that's not what he said.

I really don't understand why you would consider this a big deal Ron. Even if James was a racist, it would be what he wanted for you to give him a reaction.

*Paige*

Last edited by aikigirl10 : 02-02-2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #9
Ron Tisdale
United_States

No, that particular comment was for Jean, based on comments made here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...007#post120007

There are several statements in this post and others in that thread that make me quite uncomfortable (of course, keeping me comfortable isn't Jean's concern, and shouldn't be).

I personally believe that the comment James made wasn't an 'attack' period. And I didn't treat it as an attack. I treated it as a stupid statement from a person displaying a great deal of ignorance. I always consider ignorance around racial issues a big deal. I have been physically asaulted based on just such ignorance. By groups of people...not just individuals. Perhaps if someone had addressed that ignorance before it grew into violence, I wouldn't have had to deal with that.

But most people not in a similar position may not get that. Oh well.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 02-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido

I think it's a big deal. People saying 'ill advised' or 'ignorant' things in public shows you what is there underneath. I don't think it matters much if its ignorance, lack of maturity or hate that spawns such nonsense. If Ron (or anyone) let's that slide, then James doesn't get educated on this issue: the problem continues on. Maybe he'll be a different person 10-20 years down the road because he got smacked in a public form, maybe not.

Anyway, I'm a white guy, my opinion of what Ron should or shouldn't consider a big deal on this topic is unimportant, BUT I think it is important to speak up when ignorance is boldly displayed.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #11
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
As I recall, most of the Chicago 7 were either white or Jewish.
That is correct as far as it goes. But before they were the Chicago Seven, they were the Chicago Eight. While a number of the defendants engaged in political theater that mocked the legitimacy and decorum of the courtroom, it was Bobby Seale of the Black Panther Party who was bound and gagged at the defendants table.

It appears that Judge Hoffman, a former law partner of the infamous Mayor Richard Daley, found Mr. Seale's outbursts characterizing him as a racist, fascist pig more offensive than Mr. Hoffman's remark that ""you are a disgrace to the Jews. You would have served Hitler better."

Seale's case was severed from that of the other defendants, at which point the Chicago Eight became known as the Chicago Seven.

Although Seale was sentenced to four years for contempt of court, his contempt conviction, like that of the other defendants, was overturned on appeal and the US Government opted not to retry the charges.

In the "truth is stranger than fiction" addendum, it should be noted that addition to his autobiography, Seale is also the author of Bobby Seale: Hickory & Mesquite Recipes

Ex-Panther David Hilliard and singer Al Green have also independently developed a product suitable for use with Seale's cookbook, "Burn Baby Burn: A Taste of the Sixties Revolutionary Hot Sauce," the proceeds of which go to benefit the Huey P. Newton Foundation.

FL
Old 02-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #12
Qatana

Thanks Fred. I couldn't remember if Bobby Seale was the seventh or eighth member, but I DO remember the Trial! Course I was a Junior Revolutionary at the time!

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #13
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I personally believe that the comment James made wasn't an 'attack' period. And I didn't treat it as an attack. I treated it as a stupid statement from a person displaying a great deal of ignorance. I always consider ignorance around racial issues a big deal. I have been physically asaulted based on just such ignorance. By groups of people...not just individuals. Perhaps if someone had addressed that ignorance before it grew into violence, I wouldn't have had to deal with that.

But most people not in a similar position may not get that. Oh well.

Best,
Ron
Having been in a similar position myself when younger (being mixed ethnicity* - Indian/European - but nowadays not obviously so) I'd agree that any kind of racism needs to be nipped in the bud and quick.

Once that kind of behaviour and attitude becomes normal for the person then it is doubly hard to convince them that it's stupid, ignorant and harmful as they tend to think that, since nobody mentioned it up to now, there can't be a problem with their behaviour.

My personal situation tends nowadays towards the surreal as, looking like an English skinhead (as I do these days), I tend to get racist idiots being a little unguarded in their comments when around me and looking a tad surprised when they get a mouthful, or more, back.

I hope that James' comment was merely the result of bad phrasing and not a result of an underlying problem. If there is a problem then I hope that he can overcome it whilst he's still young.

As for Jean's comment,

Quote:
RonJon wrote:
it wasn't about (as I once would of agreed with you) black folks not taking it. It was about white folks recognizing that racism is wrong in most contexts.
So everyone just waited around till the white folks "got it" did they?

I don't think so.

and,

Most contexts?!?

Are you implying that there is a context where racism is right?

I do hope not.

Cheers,

Matt.

*Ethnicity rather than race. The "race" is humanity.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
*Ethnicity rather than race. The "race" is humanity
Bingo. My bad...I don't think the 'race' word is appropriate either.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 02-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Matt Molloy
Scotland

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Bingo. My bad...I don't think the 'race' word is appropriate either.

Best,
Ron
Sorry Ron,

I certainly didn't mean this as a criticism of yourself. It's just a personal thing that I'm always pushing.

Best to you,

Matt.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #16
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Not at all. It's a good point. Hey, I'm willing to learn, I just insist on good teachers...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 02-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #17
MikeLogan

United_States

Quote:
Matt Molloy wrote:
Are you implying that there is a context where racism is right?

I do hope not.

Thanks for pointing this one out, though I wonder if this was explained by his american revolution analogy as a means of explaining the "thoughts of those times".

Or that's me being hopeful and optimistic until I need to be otherwise.

Perfect posting Ron.
Jean, no cookie for you. (liberal close-mindedness indeed)

And as for james, not all of his posts were this stupid. He is a young dude. Looking at it further, I can see the sarcasm, but as a warning I'll tender that writing sarcasm is tough, because one can't observe the tone and nuance present in speaking first hand.

Have a good weekend all
Old 02-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #18
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Matt Molloy wrote:
Yeah, but saying that we have to end ethnicityism is too much of a tongue twister for me!

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 02-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #19
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Current research would indicate that as human animals we are basically hard wired to recognize approximately 40 or so individuals as being from within our group. Everybody else is outside. This comes from hundreds of thousands of years of evolution in which we existed in hunter gatherer groups of around that many.

In other words we are programmed to be "racist' on some level... It is completely natural for people to focus on whatever differences they perceive and in terms of evolutionary history that would have represented a threat so we inherit this not so admirable trait. One only has to look around at any human social group to see this in action...

In Ireland and Bosnia you could see people slaughtering each other who exhibit no discernable difference from the standpoint of an outsider. Remember High School? Don't be that kid who was different... it could be a school of all white kids, speaking an identical version of the language, sharing the same values and going to the same churches and the one who is smarter is ostracized. Don't be the "dip" in your school or your four years are hell...

There isn't a culture in the world where there isn't racism... Look at France... American blacks found France to be welcoming and open compared to the states, yet when Algeria fell, their own white colonists were terribly discriminated against when they tried to return to their mother country...

The tendency to look for and find differences is innate in human beings. The only way to keep that from becoming discriminatory racism is by a) constantly reinforcing our laws which disallow discrimination based on race, culture, sex, sexual preference etc and b) working to maintain as much diversity as possible.

One of the biggest changes in race relations came as a result of WWI, WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. Initially, the airmen known as the Tuskegee Airmen were purposely kept out of combat by a military in which Southerners held the greatest influence. When they were finally deployed to fly fighter cover over Germany, the bomber pilots resisted having the Black flyers assigned to their units for cover until it became apparent that the bombing units protected by the Black fighter pilots were coming back safely in greater numbers. By the end of the bombing campaign, everyone wanted the Tuskegee airmen flying cover for them.

By the time you come to Viet Nam, units were completely integrated. The guy watching your back could be any color and any ethnicity. Attitudes changed rapidly as the result of this kind of exposure to people previously perceived as "different".

Athletics is extremely important in this respect... not the NBA / NFL professional level athletics, but the Pop Warner, Pee Wee Hockey, Youth Soccer level athletics. Kids from diverse playing on the same teams brings people together and starts to erase the perception of difference.

Shared experience is the single most important element in changing the perception of "difference". But there also needs to be that legal underpinning coupled with educational reinforcement of the values of equality. We need to remember this every time an issue comes up involving some over reaction of "political correctness". Political correctness is just a formalized set of attitudes meant to correct an imbalance that has existed for thousands of years. It seems silly at times but it is a society's way of arriving at "what should our values be?' when they aren't sure yet. There's over reaction, then counter reaction, and eventually we reach a new equilibrium in which we are more confident in what our values are. This process happens over and over and needs to evolve continuously.

The Blacks who have been the targets of discrimination for hundreds of years are just as capable of racism against Koreans or Jews as anyone... the Mexican illegals who come to the States will discriminate against the other Mexican illegals that come here who have more apparent Native ethnic makeup. In Brazil, where the ethnic makeup is extremely heterogeneous, the lighter skinned folks discriminate against the darker skinned folks. In Ghana, where an effort has been made to encourage an "Israel" style return of American Blacks to their homeland, the natives discriminate against the returnees because they are "different". Only education and direct experience with peoples of other ethnicities and cultures will reduce this... it is our not very admirable trait as a human species. It may have had survival value at some point in the past but it could be the cause of downfall if we don't get a handle on it at some point.

Last edited by George S. Ledyard : 02-02-2006 at 04:07 PM.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #20
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Yeah, but saying that we have to end ethnicityism is too much of a tongue twister for me!
lol i agree.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #21
Adam Alexander
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Jean and Paige,

While I respect your opinions, I completely disagree. This isn't the place for a history lesson, and I'm not the best person to give it anyway. I can only go on what I know, and what I believe to be the best way to proceed.

Youth is no excuse. Isolation is no excuse (especially with cable, the internet, and public libraries). And when good men are silent, bad things happen. I may not be all that good...but I will speak up when I feel it is warrented. The aikido I have learned is about entering. And that's what I will continue to do.

As far as Larry Elder is concerned...I'm sure he would appreciate your speaking for him Blacks are not a monolith...I have a right to my opinion as he has to his. If you think you can shame someone into changing their mind by referencing him...you've got a ways to go.

Last, nothing in my post was an attack, or out of context. If you don't get that...so be it. Sensitivity? Hmmm, I remember a certain group of posts you wrote some time ago that were just bursting with sensitivity. I think I'll find another teacher for that, thanks.

Best,
Ron
Come on, Ron!

I was right there with you until you accused me of attempting to shame you (I think that's what you're saying). Total misinterpretation. I was bouncing a joke of your joke about me being conservative.

On the sensitivity. I'm sure no-one would be hard-pressed to find a post or two where I threw a temper-tantrum. However, not there or in the chain of similar posts that involved Neil.

That's just an example of me throwing my hands up

On the Chicago Seven (to the person who asked). Although they were whites and Jews (for all I can remember they might be white Jews) They went to Chicago (as I recall) to stage protests in the form of restaurant sit-ins at privately owned segregated establishments (as I recall it was more a specific location that was rather notorious).

They'd go in as a pair of whites, and then a black or two would come in and sit down.

By the end of the night, because the other white patrons demanded the inter-racial folks be served, and the police wouldn't arrest them, they were served.

Also, that group (which I think four of them were a part fo the Union 8) was involved with a bunch of anti-war groups. Basically, the black-equality/anti-war movement was pretty much combined for maximum effect.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #22
chris w

United_States

Athletics is extremely important in this respect... not the NBA / NFL professional level athletics, but the Pop Warner, Pee Wee Hockey, Youth Soccer level athletics. Kids from diverse playing on the same teams brings people together and starts to erase the perception of difference.

i think that there a lot of passive racists in this country, and some of them are parents. so even if kids of different ethnic backgrounds can play together on the field, ice or playground, they are still being influenced by the attitudes of their parents. and they grow up holding onto the same prejudices. i think james smith might be an example of this. i would be willing to bet that he doesn't think of himself as hateful or racist, but he might be. just like a lot of your friends and neighbors.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #23
Qatana

Jean I don't know where you got that information. here's wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Seven

As to "white jews", in some parts of this country white people do not consider Jews as white.Since I am of 100% non-European descent I consider myself not white.YMMV

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #24
Adam Alexander
United_States
Confused Re: Race and Aikido

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
Jean I don't know where you got that information. here's wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Seven

As to "white jews", in some parts of this country white people do not consider Jews as white.Since I am of 100% non-European descent I consider myself not white.YMMV

A couple/few of the seven were involved in what a cited just prior to the DNC. You've got me: I jumbled the occurences.

However, the original point, the development of the movement involved whites, etc.

If you're interested, book was called, fittingly, "Direct action : radical pacifism from the Union Eight to the Chicago Seven" by James Tracy.

I guess it's an example of modern-day Thoreau-esque foolishness.

On white-jews...Who cares? You probably care as much about whether I consider myself "Native-American" or white. It just doesn't matter.

Racial sensitivity is for racists.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:33 AM   #25
Matt Molloy
Scotland

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Agreed. I generally just say that we should end bigotry, stupidity, ignorance, intolerance and prejudice.

Tall order but I don't remember anyone saying that this life would be easy.

Cheers,

Matt.

Last edited by Matt Molloy : 02-04-2006 at 03:35 AM.