Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
aikido_diver
Australia
Brisbane Aikido

Hi Everyone,

I was an active member here some years ago, however I stepped off the mat due to work-life commitments as I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences.

However, I have recently moved to Brisbane, Australia (from Sydney) and looking to get back into Aikido training again. I had trained in Aikikai aikido, however was looking to expand a little more into Iwama-Ryu. Unfortunately there are no schools here to my knowledge, and was considering taking up Yoshinkan Aikido, as well as some Shinto Muso-ryu jōdo. Just wanted to hear your thoughts about this idea, and if there are some students here from Brisbane or from Yoshinkan Aikido I'd love to hear from you as well.

Cheers.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Brisbane Aikido

I train with a guy who did Yoshinkan in Brisbane before he moved to Tasmania. I've heard that his sensei was harsh and strict, but also very good. I'll ask him for more details when I get back to Australia. I'm in Japan at the moment.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

Quote:
Todd Allen wrote: View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was an active member here some years ago, however I stepped off the mat due to work-life commitments as I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences.

However, I have recently moved to Brisbane, Australia (from Sydney) and looking to get back into Aikido training again. I had trained in Aikikai aikido, however was looking to expand a little more into Iwama-Ryu. Unfortunately there are no schools here to my knowledge, and was considering taking up Yoshinkan Aikido, as well as some Shinto Muso-ryu jōdo. Just wanted to hear your thoughts about this idea, and if there are some students here from Brisbane or from Yoshinkan Aikido I'd love to hear from you as well.

Cheers.
There are three Aikikai schools following different shihan in Brisbane area, some are integrated with jodo/iai schools (e.g. baysidebudokai). Theres also takemusu - but not iwama lineage and SMR here as well. Drive north an hour to Palmwoods for SMR/aiki fusion.

Lots of other dojo too, Brisbane's pretty big..where you based??

best,
Dan

Old 07-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Carl Thompson

Japan

Hi Todd

I trained at Brisbane Aikikai a few years ago. I enjoyed the practice and there were some great people. I've also heard good things about the Yoshinkan dojo. I did a little Yoshinkan here in Japan and the 4th dan instructor said he went to Brisbane every year to train.

Regards

Carl
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
aikido_diver
Australia

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your replies and input.

At present I am on the north side of Brisbane,but studying at UQ. I am heading to Japan next month for work, but upon return I think I will try Yoshinkan Aikido, and do some Jodo/Iai when I can.

Let me know what you think?!?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Todd Allen wrote: View Post
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your replies and input.

At present I am on the north side of Brisbane,but studying at UQ. I am heading to Japan next month for work, but upon return I think I will try Yoshinkan Aikido, and do some Jodo/Iai when I can.

Let me know what you think?!?
It sounds like you may have found what you are looking for. At least when I was there, the Brisbane Aikikai club also had Jodo and Iai although I only went to the aikido classes. Where will you be in Japan? Perhaps you could get some experiences there too.

Carl