Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effective as you age into your elder years?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of October 15, 2006:

Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effective as you age into your elder years?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: Poll: Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effective as you age into your elder years?

I have found as I get older that I am much stronger, flexible and agile than most people my age. My aikido getts simpler and more refined and more effective.

I wonder to the people who wrote no...why are you training in aikido if you don't think it is effective?

Mary
Old 10-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Poll: Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effective as you age into your elder years?

Although it may not be true of the majority, in every art there are some people who train just to train.Then there are others who think that as they age, their physical ability will naturally decline. There are also the the physical 'athletes' who know they won't be able to keep their youthful aggressiveness however hard they try. I learned early in my aikido training that 'to question effectiveness is to kill effectiveness'. I think it was Morihiro Saito Shihan who taught that.

In gassho,
Mark
Old 10-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Yes, as long as I keep training.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States

I think that the answer is yes! I plan on training until I die which won't be for another 50-60years from now, and like all great masters, i will go from strenth, to technique, from technique to no technique!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai

I would hope that those who have responded so far are in their "elder" years. Since the poll lacks clarity in this aspect ,and as we all know , with any good debate the defining of the terms allows for clear and incisive discussion. We should perhaps undertake this exercise at this time.

First let us look the contention "Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effective as you age into your elder years?"

What do we mean by physical ?
phys·i·cal adj
1. relating to the body, rather than with the mind, the soul, or the feelings
2. existing in the real material world, rather than as an idea or notion, and able to be touched and seen
3. involving or needing a lot of bodily strength or energy
4. involving a lot of bodily contact or aggression
5. tending to touch people or involving touching, especially in an affectionate or sexual way (informal)
6. used to describe sciences such as physics and chemistry that deal with nonliving things such as energy and matter

Since I am the first person, I will choose behind door number 2, existing in the real world.

For my second definition I'll choose abilities.
a·bil·i·ty n
1. the capacity to do something or perform successfully
2. a particular talent or acquired skill
3. a high degree of general skill or competence

Door number …………………………………2 a particular talent or acquired skill.

And so not to pass into obsurdity I will only look at only one more definition, and that is of the key term "elder"

eld·er1 adj
1. born before others, especially within a family, or having more seniority. See
2. superior to others, either by rank or experience

Let's pick number 1.

So what do we have? We have real world aikido, which is an acquired skill, effectively performed by your older brother or sister! (That is debating terms, might be called a minor "squirrel" of a topic.)

Now that we understand the poll I can vote ……………… perhaps

and you all can vote again.

P.S.

That was fun since I'm the third youngest elder in our dojo , plan on being the eldest in 10 to 30 years, my son will be my age in 40 years, and he will be in University in 2 and those young'uns got a long way to go if they want to catch me 'cause I can still run real fast. So take note Mark! Colin ! Todd!! et al
Old 10-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

Do I think my abilities will keep getting better as I get older?

Duh! Or why keep doing it? Aikido is the art of neutralizing aggression -- why assume that a younger, more aggressive practitioner is naturally "better" than one who is old, less (obviously) aggressive, and wise?

My first sensei, Norio "Mike" Mamura (may he rest in peace) was and on the mat teaching until shortly (days) before he passed away at the age of 82. I'd only known him for 20 years, and he was kicking butts the whole time I knew him -- a sincere attack meant a serious fall/pin/lock was coming your way. He embodied the art of Aikido: technique executed not with strength, but with ki -- a proper application of minimal force in the right time and place to ensure maximal results.

He was the was a "typical" frail old man, 5ft-3 and maybe 120 lbs dripping wet, with a history of ailments as long as your arm (battled cancers, wore a pacemaker, walked witha cane), but none of that kept him from practicing his beloved art, and none of that kept him from constantly working at improving his aikido. And he really did get better as he got older

I can only strive to follow his example.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
Gwion
Dojo: New York Ki-Aikido
United_States

I think aikido abilities are spiritual abilities, not physical abilities, so the question is based on a false premise.

whether my ability to conquer contention and competitive mindedness in myself and transform my attacker into my friend would get better... I would certainly hope so.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 AM   #9
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Just to play the Devil's advocate , what about your ability to take ukemi? As you get older, will you be able to take that koshinage from the 6'6" 230lbs Nage? What about you're ability to take the ukemi from a kicking attack? Or what about your ability to provide a constant "realistic" attack as Uke for you partner?
These are some things to consider especially if you assign any importance or correlation between your ukemi ability and your ability to execute a technique.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Poll: Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effectiv

Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
Just to play the Devil's advocate , what about your ability to take ukemi? As you get older, will you be able to take that koshinage from the 6'6" 230lbs Nage?
The further I go in training I find it increasingly easy to "flow over" most koshinage -- molasses-like rather than chunk-like. My falls are more directed back at nage's center, which while it increases radial speed of turn in the fall markedly diminishes applied acceleration time for the same throw. I seem to have better sense of the rotation at contact with the ground, which distributes and delays impact force.

So it remains to be seen, but so far (I'm 40, ~20 years training) they are getting easier and softer, certainly from an impact standpoint.
Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
What about you're ability to take the ukemi from a kicking attack?
Kick? You are kidding, right? Those are the toguhest ukemi to take , without a doubt, And I doubt I will volunteer for those after about 70 or so. Of course, I cannot actually imagine wanting to try to employ a standing kick offensively. There are some interesting kaeshi-waza from the one-legged stance that may change my opinion on this, however, but they are only sketches of technique for me so far. The only kicks I find that remain routinely useful to me are close yokogeri or maegeri leg sweeps from the ground following ukemi -- or big, hooking back leg sweeps to clear the area while getting up.
Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
Or what about your ability to provide a constant "realistic" attack as Uke for you partner?
Precision should be feared more than mere force. Atemi get increasingly precise, I find, and I find almost every part of my limbs with a strike coming on line as I move more properly than I did when I was younger. So as I get older, I find opportunities for more, and more effective, strikes. I am not sure if that is "realistic," or just real.
Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
These are some things to consider especially if you assign any importance or correlation between your ukemi ability and your ability to execute a technique.
Without a doubt I do -- but increasing refinement in displacing force, whether through ukewaza or nagewaza, not enduring the application of that force, seems the key to constant improvement with no obvious endpoint other than death.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #11
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Poll: Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effectiv

Quote:
Wayne Wilson wrote:
I think aikido abilities are spiritual abilities, not physical abilities, so the question is based on a false premise.
I differ with you there on -- spiritual grounds.

The distinction between mind/spirit and matter is itself a false premise.
Quote:
Wayne Wilson wrote:
whether my ability to conquer contention and competitive mindedness in myself and transform my attacker into my friend would get better... I would certainly hope so.
I gave up the idea of "making" friends. I cannot "make" uke do anything. Uke does everything -- I just help out

That, for me, is the heart of aiki. I simply do for him what he wanted to do -- just not the way he wanted it done.

All I offer is my hand -- how he takes it and what he does from that point are entirely up to him. He has the opportunity to transform his spirit, but that transformation can only be meaningfully expressed in the body.

I do not "try" to do anything, because to "try" anything would disturb his expression of spirit through his body -- which is the only way I can ever know if he changed his mind.

"Do -- or do not -- there is no try."

{I stilI love that quote.}

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #12
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Good points, Eric, and I agree with you that as we progress in our Aikido our ukemi waza improves, but as we progress in age our physical ability degrades overall and all around. Bones become brittle, joints cease to function well, reconstructive surgery, bursitis, sciatica all can work to impede our range of motion and suppleness. Time waits for no man, and death comes to claim us all in the end...
Now at 40, maybe we can still take the high, hard falls and we even don't seem to land very hard, but how many 60-70 year olds do you know that are still willing to risk injury during aikido practice?
And, I'm not talking about ones ability to apply kaeshiwaza which in and of itself requires great ukemi skills, but in the course of regular aikido practice, on any given Sunday, the ukemi ability or willingness to participate 100% in a high fall or even overly aggressive ukemi diminishes.
I have seen a 70 yr old uchi-deshi in Japan, which is very motivating and inspiring, but he wasn't doing the hard ukemi either. Nor was anyone really willing to throw the guy hard.
Bottom line, even though I'm an optimist, as we get older our physical abilities in general decline, that is a fact of life, and if we include ukemi waza as part of our "physical aikido abilities" then, surely, we must face the reality that even though we may dream otherwise, there will be a decline.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
Gwion
United_States

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
I differ with you there on -- spiritual grounds.

The distinction between mind/spirit and matter is itself a false premise.
I gave up the idea of "making" friends. I cannot "make" uke do anything. Uke does everything -- I just help out

That, for me, is the heart of aiki. I simply do for him what he wanted to do -- just not the way he wanted it done.

All I offer is my hand -- how he takes it and what he does from that point are entirely up to him. He has the opportunity to transform his spirit, but that transformation can only be meaningfully expressed in the body.

I do not "try" to do anything, because to "try" anything would disturb his expression of spirit through his body -- which is the only way I can ever know if he changed his mind.

"Do -- or do not -- there is no try."

{I stilI love that quote.}
Very nice Eric, but if you want to 'win' a conversation that way, why stop there? This entire discussion board is based on the false premise that words are capable of communicating the absolute experience of reality, which is impossible. So all discussion is a futile exercise in false symbols that don't represent reality anyway.

and btw, I never said try. But thanks for the star wars quote.
Gonna quote monty python next?

Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #14
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Ni!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
Gwion
United_States

Jill, you made me laugh.

How're things up in Kitchener btw? I just met Jason Yee of Toronto Ki Aikido at a Kashiwaya Sensei Seminar in Chicago. Know him?