Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-26-2001, 03:32 AM   #26
petra
Dojo: samourais,Eindhoven
Okay, my name is Petra, I've been studying aikido for 2,5 years now, aikikay style. I seem to be the only person up till now who trains outside the USA, namely the Netherlands and am also the first woman to respond to this thread. I'm 1.78 m which is about 5,10', 70 kg ~ 150 lbs, I just turned 27 yesterday. My teachers name is Ad van Dongen, he studies with Sugano Sensei, Tamura Sensei, Claude Pellerin and encourages us to go to all the seminars we can get to. I have been fortunate enough to be able to go to seminars given by the above mentioned teachers/senseis.
Anyone else from Europe around?

Petra

I haven't failed, I have found 10.000 ways that won't work.
Old 02-26-2001, 03:48 AM   #27
sulzwulf
Hi Petra, (and everyone else!)
I am another female aikidoka, but I train in Australia. Specifically the Cairns Dojo of the North Queensland Ki Society with Sensei's Roby & Greta.
I have been training nearly one year and am now 31. I'm about the same height as you... my weight? about average for my height I guess, I don't have scales!
regards,
Sally
Old 02-26-2001, 06:27 AM   #28
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Petra! (and everybody else)

Quote:
petra wrote:
I seem to be the only person up till now who trains outside the USA
No you're not I'm from Denmark.

Quote:
petra wrote:
aikikay style.
Just wondering: is it a typo or do you call it AikikaY with the Y in the end ? We usually call it aikikaI with an I. Not that I want to make a big deal out of it, but it would be an interesting difference.

As to who I am: I'm male, about 6 feet (182 cm) tall, approx. 190 pounds (95 kg.) unfortunately not all of it muscle
I'm 30 and I have practiced Aikikai Aikido under the influence of Shoji Nishio Sensei for a couple of years.

Quote:
petra wrote:
My teachers name is Ad van Dongen he ... encourages us to go to all the seminars we can get to.
Well - we have got a seminar in my hometown with Nishio Sensei (8 th. dan Shihan) during easter, and you and your club-mates are very welcome to join us .

Sincerely

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 02-26-2001, 07:19 AM   #29
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
The profile button (1st icon in the list of icons in the top right of someones message) should give you most details.

Other than that I'm:

5 foot 7 1/2 inches
about 10 1/2 stone
male
trained on/off for 12-13 years
Aged 29

Does that mean someone is going to send me a free gi?

Ian

P.S. I'm in the UK.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:47 PM   #30
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
Cool Another from Sunny Florida

And another woman.

I have been training in aikido for a year and a half, and I have been with Florida Aikikai for the last year. I train under the direction of Peter Bernath who was a student of Yoshimitsu Yamada. My school is part of the Aikikai -- USAF, East.

I am currently a 5th kyu and I am getting ready for my 4th kyu test.

I am 30 years old, and 5'5" tall. I weigh about 180 pounds. I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where I attend law school. (oh, to you guys in Tampa, I graduated from USF in 1994.)

That's about it.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-03-2001, 04:39 PM   #31
paul spawforth
Dojo: wakefield tomiki aikido club
Smile

Hi

My name is Paul, I live in England and study Tomiki style Aikido under the tutelage of sensei Adrian Tipling, who is a 3rd dan and member of the British Aikido Association international squad. I have been studying for 7 months an am currently a 4th kyu (orange belt) managing to double-grade at my first grading. I am 23 years old, 5ft9ins tall, and about 11.5st in weight.

Regards

Paul.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:54 PM   #32
Kenn
Dojo: looking for a new one
United_States
Re: Another from Sunny Florida

Quote:
giriasis wrote:

(oh, to you guys in Tampa, I graduated from USF in 1994.)

That's about it.

Anne Marie Giri [/b]
Anne Marie,

come up and train with us some time!!!

Peace, kenn

Kenn

Remember, the only way to be happy always, is to be happy always, without reason.
Old 03-04-2001, 05:24 AM   #33
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Who Am I?

My name is George S. Ledyard

I am Chief Instructor of Aikido Eastside in Bellevue, WA and have a 5th Dan from the ASU.

I have been studying Aikido for 23 years. I am a direct student of Mitsugi Saotome Sensei under whom I studied in the very earliest days of his dojo in Washington, DC.

Whenb I moved to the West coast I was fortunate enough to be able to train at the dojos of Mary Heiny Sensei and also at the dojo of Bruce Bookman Sensei. About 1986 I became Chief Instructor of the Seattle School of Aikido when Mary heiny sensei moved to Canada. After three years I opened my own dojo which is still there today.

I am 49 years old this year, am a seriously big fellow, and divide my time between my dojo and my combined family of eight kids (have three grandchildren at this point as well).

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-04-2001, 09:56 AM   #34
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
Talking

I'm Anne Schwaderer and proud to fit in both of the favourite fringe groups here: being female and from outside the US (Germany in this case)...
I'm 25 years (since midnight...)
I've been training in aikido and aiki toho iai for about four years at the Kiel university dojo. We do mainly the style of Shoji Nishio Sensei. Our chief instructor is Ingo Heinrich Sensei.

Anne

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)
Old 03-04-2001, 03:15 PM   #35
Spudza100
Dojo: Seishinkan
Smile erm

well i have skimed though the heights and weights...and i am 22 140 pounds (i think) and 5'5, so i think its safe to say im the shortest man....woohhoo, i have spina bifida....dont ask me to go into it, its too complicated...look it up on the net if u must.

i have been doing aikido (seshinkan i think)since last october so im not really any good hehe, but hopefully i will get better...
well thats it for now
Ross