Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
barnibis

Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Advice for an aikido pilgrim

Hi All,

I am planning to move to Japan for a year, the sole purpose being to enrich my experience in Aikido and Iaido by visiting the source.

I need to plan exactly where i will be going, so i wanted to get some suggestions for good places to go to. Dojos temples...etc.

Any suggestion, or feedback would be awesome, i am hoping to hear from people that have been.

o..
Old 03-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: Advice for an aikido pilgrim

Well, you cant go wrong with the Aikikai Hombu and Yoshinkan Hombu, both in Tokyu. One is in the Shinjuku district if I remember rightly? I think the Yoshinkan might be in roppongi? Peter Rehse has a shodokan dojo somewhere. Takeno sensei (formerly of the yoshinkan?) also has a dojo that would be worth a visit, I cant remember where it is.

If shrines and temples are your thing, then you cant go wrong with nikko and kyoto. Kumamoto is well worth checking out if you like Miyamoto Musashi.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Peter Rehse has a shodokan dojo somewhere.
Peter's dojo is in Himeji. Though (since you're talking honbu dojos here), the Shodokan dojo is in Osaka.

Sean
x
Old 03-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Cheers Sean, I knew someone would fill in my blanks

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

The Sengakuji temple/shrine in tokyo is also well worth a visit. It's the burial site of the 47 ronin. And the Imperial Sword mueseum, also in Tokyo, is a pain to find (it's out in the suburbs) but well worth a visit, especially for an Iaido practitioner. The Eishin Ryu Hombu is in Osaka I think? Where Grandmaster Miura sensei teaches, so that might be your thing. Sorry about the multiple posts, I keep remembering things randomly, it's been years since I was there

Old 03-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
barnibis

Hey don't apologize for the multiple posts i want info! gimme gimme!

i think that since my post i ams seriously considering Iwama dojo, in Ibaraki prefecture, so ifanyone can help, i would like to know how i can find out info about training there. i wonder if i need qualifications to be allowed, i don't know.

Also I forgot to ask, but i suppose thatthis is after all and aikido forum, but i also practice iaido, so thanks Nick for the heads up on the imperial sword musem. If I move to Ibaraki prefecture, it is apprently anloy about 100Km to tokyo.

Please i ned input regarding iwama dojo, and iaido dojos.

o..
Old 03-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Otto Lam wrote:
Hey don't apologize for the multiple posts i want info! gimme gimme!

i think that since my post i ams seriously considering Iwama dojo, in Ibaraki prefecture, so ifanyone can help, i would like to know how i can find out info about training there. i wonder if i need qualifications to be allowed, i don't know.

Also I forgot to ask, but i suppose thatthis is after all and aikido forum, but i also practice iaido, so thanks Nick for the heads up on the imperial sword musem. If I move to Ibaraki prefecture, it is apprently anloy about 100Km to tokyo.

Please i ned input regarding iwama dojo, and iaido dojos.

o..
Hi Otto, this may help :
http://www.iwamasaito.com/index.html

cheers
Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
barnibis

Whoa!

it seems that Saito sensei has left the original Iwama dojo, and opened up his own? is that what has happened? If i had to choose between Saito sensei's dojo and the other Iwama dojo run by Hombu,
I think I would go to see Saito sensei, as I am guessing that the other Iwama dojo is merely a branch of Hombu. So it become a choice of Hombu vs. Saito sensei. in terms of which dojo to choose. Also, it looks like Saito sensei's school only offers a live in student program as opposed to walk in classes like other dojos, do i have that right?

o..
Old 03-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Otto Lam wrote:
Whoa!

it seems that Saito sensei has left the original Iwama dojo, and opened up his own? is that what has happened?
Yup.

Quote:
If i had to choose between Saito sensei's dojo and the other Iwama dojo run by Hombu,
I think I would go to see Saito sensei, as I am guessing that the other Iwama dojo is merely a branch of Hombu. So it become a choice of Hombu vs. Saito sensei. in terms of which dojo to choose.
I think you are guessing wrong. The dojo I'm currently practicing is Iwama style. It is also Aikikai. Morihiro Saito was part of the Aikikai, and all of the dojo's run by his students in Japan were also part of the Aikikai. When Hirohito Saito broke from the Aikikai, some went with him, but most stayed. And they didn't suddenly drop Iwama style, they continued it, as before, underneath the Aikikai umbrella.

The instructors at Iwama have been there for some time; they studied with and under Morihiro Saito, just like my instructor, and I'm fairly certain their style remains as it was before Saito died. The split was political, not stylistic.

Quote:
Also, it looks like Saito sensei's school only offers a live in student program as opposed to walk in classes like other dojos, do i have that right?
No. However, the walk-in (tobikomi) rate is quite expensive: 5,000 yen. If you plan to be in the area for a while and wish to practice often (while not being an uchideshi), you probably want to pay the registration fee (5,000 yen) and then the monthly fee (7,000 yen). That'll let you attend the classes held everyday.

Can you read Japanese? If so, check out this site:

http://www.iwamaaikido.com

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
barnibis

Josh!

did you say that you are training there now? i am planning to go over shortly after august, and was lookingt at these two Iwama schools. If I got you right, you are saying that both schools teach the same style? and that either one would be good for me? what dodjo are you practicing in? if i end up going there i wonder if i can talk with you more regarding how to sign up, and what it is like.

I wish to focus on Weapons training amoung onther things.And will be in Japan for at least 12 months, and perhaps longer if I can figure out how to get a visa that will allow me to.

o..