Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
Kevin Scheetz
United_States
Middle aged Newbie

Hi all. My name is Kevin Scheetz and as the title implies I'm an Aikido newbie. Or more accurately I'm a Wannabe as I have not yet started training. I've been lurking the forums and checking the different web sites to try and educate myself. Man are there a lot of opinions about the different flavors of Aikido.
I'm 41 years old and in reasonable shape but I have had a lumbar discectomy a couple years ago. Does any one know if Aikido and lower back troubles are compatible?

Hoping to learn lots more
Kevin
Old 07-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Middle aged Newbie

Quote:
Kevin Scheetz wrote:
I'm 41 years old and in reasonable shape but I have had a lumbar discectomy a couple years ago. Does any one know if Aikido and lower back troubles are compatible?
I started at 44. Almost 12 years ago.
I have four disc bulges in the lumbar area.
Learn to relax, breath, keep good form, and go slowly.
Welcome.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Hi Kevin,
I started Ki Aikido 2 years ago...when I was 44yrs old. I am still a newbie getting ready for my 4th kyu level test. Like you, I have a lower back problem (disc herniation) and had to get my doctor's approval to get into training. I don't know the extent of your back problem but in my case, the ki class and ki exercises gently stretches my back and made me more aware of correct posture and movement. In general, I've had no problems with my back even when doing rolls and taking ukemi. I'm having a blast.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Scheetz wrote:
Hi all. My name is Kevin Scheetz and as the title implies I'm an Aikido newbie. Or more accurately I'm a Wannabe as I have not yet started training. I've been lurking the forums and checking the different web sites to try and educate myself. Man are there a lot of opinions about the different flavors of Aikido.

Hoping to learn lots more
Kevin
Depends on how good a surgeon you had and how well you learn to roll and fall. I would recommend avoiding high falls.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I'm 43, been training for about 3 years, and find that gentle falls and rolls are good for staving off backaches. Previously I had recurrent back problems and had to do daily exercises to fend them off; now I'm fine, though I have to go back to the exercises if I stop doing aikido for more than a few days.

I train in a style which does not emphasize high falls, and it's been very positive for me. Not only do the stretches and falls help keep my back limber, but my teachers insist on good posture, which is beginning to carry over into the rest of my life.

It's a good idea to visit a dojo before joining it. You can see what the falling style of the school is, and how accomodating they are of older students or ones with physical limitations. I have trained in a few places which were too physically demanding for me, but there are many dojo which are excellent with older students. Which style you choose is not as important as the individual dojo (for example, there are two Ki Society dojo in my home town, but one is much gentler than the other).

Good luck, and have fun! I found learning to fall initially quite challenging, but now it's tremendously fun.

Mary Kaye
Old 07-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Greetings Kevin,

Welcome...hope you able to start training soon...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:18 AM   #8
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

I train with someone who began Aikido when he was in his late sixties; he is a constant source of inspiration.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

I'm 50. I have had all kinds of back problems over the years including lower but I have found that the gentle stretches and (slow) rolling in Aikido almost always alleviates any problem. When my back is hurting, I rest one day then head for practice. I am always well the next day.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 07-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #10
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I do hope you give Aikido a good try. I have also found that rolling alleviates back problems. One good practice to develop is the 'every other' day practice. In other words, to refrain from practice any two days in a row. This is because stiffness from the previous day's practice can lead directly to injury in the next day's practice. In gassho
Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Generally, If I am having back problems, It is not because of Aikido but because of playing with my children. My back does pretty good with aikido. I train 4 days aweek and teach two days. I am 41. Get in there and play!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States

Hey Kevin
I am only 18 so I don't have much personal experience with physical limits or pain but, one of my teachers has been practicing for many years after having some funky slipped disk lumbar thingy. He is in his 50s and one of my personal heroes. On his 56th birth day he took 56 break falls (I threw him). He is so much fun to practice with and I'm sure you will be too
Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
Nich Sanctis
Dojo: Yellow Springs
United_States
A wiry lamb

Like Ms. Rose, I'm only 18 as well so I can't emphathize with you. However, I run almost every night before training and I find practicing aikido both spritually uplifting and a good cool down to relax my muscles. As others have said and I've experienced, the slower you go the less it hurts when you're learning the ukemi or the part of aikido involving the taking of the technique. Just be careful and communicate with your fellow aikidoists.

Also I reccomend stretching afterwards more so than before you practice. This helps relieve the lactic acid in your muscles and also familiarizes you with your flexibility. The more you know about your limitations the safer you can practice.

Good luck in safely practicing aikido and I hope you've had as much fun as I've had!