Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Adam Henderson
United Kingdom
Where?When?Can I find classes near me? HELP

Yeah well i am a person that likes to do somthing new and exiting and after recently quiting american football (Becuase i went as far as i thought i could go), I thought this time id try another martial arts becuase i prevouisly did Go Kan Roo or somthing like that which i was finding was Bu** S**T.

Ive Looked this up anhd researched this one quite a bit i like the look of it !
Any help on finding a class near me ????????

Help would be much appreciated Thnx
Old 04-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: Where?When?Can I find classes near me? HELP

There's this handy website...Boogle...Doogle..something like that...

http://aikidostoke.com/1.html

took me about 20 seconds.

kvaak
Pauliina
sorry, but how could I resist?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

I looked at that link, and it's a nicely put-together website.

I have a personal quibble, though, with dojo websites that don't have any information either on the dojo affiliation or (at least as important) on the training histories of the instructors - who their teachers were, how long they have been practising, and so on.

It's also unusual for a dojo in the UK not to be part of a BAB-registered organisation - if you look here there is no mention of this dojo in Stoke.

Alex
Old 04-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
It's also unusual for a dojo in the UK not to be part of a BAB-registered organisation - if you look here there is no mention of this dojo in Stoke.

Alex
and that proves what Alex? Is that a comprehensive list of all BAB affiliated clubs?

No is the correct answer.

Is membership of the BAB dependent on achievement of some technical qualification that clubs outside of the BAB do not have.

Again - the answer is No.

Its not that unusual, but it is irrelevant.

FWIW I'd say check out all the clubs and go to the one that best matches personal aims.

Regards

D
Old 04-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
and that proves what Alex? Is that a comprehensive list of all BAB affiliated clubs?

No is the correct answer.

Is membership of the BAB dependent on achievement of some technical qualification that clubs outside of the BAB do not have.

Again - the answer is No.

Its not that unusual, but it is irrelevant.

FWIW I'd say check out all the clubs and go to the one that best matches personal aims.

Regards

D
Daren,

Sorry if my post came across as trying to offer authoritative advice - it was mainly an observation on the lack of information on the website. A dojo with 3rd and 4th dan instructors has presumably been going for a while, so the complete lack of any information about histories and so on is remarkable in itself. Even "independent" dojos tend to have connections to local groups.

I did a search for the name of the dojo, and most of the Google hits for Aikido Tenshin Ryu are to a dojo in the States - perhaps this dojo is connected to Seagal's organisation.

BAB non-membership may or may not be relevant, but it is indeed unusual. I know there are cases such as those dojos connected with Henry Ellis, who have historical reasons for not joining.

Perhaps the website is new, and not all the pages are up to date.

Alex
Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Daren,

Sorry if my post came across as trying to offer authoritative advice - it was mainly an observation on the lack of information on the website. A dojo with 3rd and 4th dan instructors has presumably been going for a while, so the complete lack of any information about histories and so on is remarkable in itself. Even "independent" dojos tend to have connections to local groups.

I did a search for the name of the dojo, and most of the Google hits for Aikido Tenshin Ryu are to a dojo in the States - perhaps this dojo is connected to Seagal's organisation.

BAB non-membership may or may not be relevant, but it is indeed unusual. I know there are cases such as those dojos connected with Henry Ellis, who have historical reasons for not joining.

Perhaps the website is new, and not all the pages are up to date.

Alex
No worries - on rereading my post could have been a bit friendlier too.

Bad hair day..or would be if I had any!

D
Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Quote:
I have a personal quibble, though, with dojo websites that don't have any information either on the dojo affiliation or (at least as important) on the training histories of the instructors - who their teachers were, how long they have been practising, and so on.
I guess that can all be regarded as legitimizing information. It means nothing to a newbie, however.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I don't know...it may mean nothing to a newbie, but you have to start somewhere, and it might as well be on your own dojo's website. That kind of information should be really basic.

I always wonder when someone doesn't post it. If they are part of say, Saotome Sensei's organization, at least then I have an idea if there is no specific lineage posted. But if they are independant, or part of a lesser known organization, it can be really helpfull.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

I tend to agree with Ron, but for a different reason. Newbies aren't the only ones who surf websites for a new dojo. I may be relocating in the future, and have been scoping out the schools in the areas I might end up. It's amazing how much or how little information is available on different sites. What is truly irritating is when the link to a dojo you might really want to visit is dead. Then you're left not only wondering when they practice but also whether they're still practicing at all. For some reason (*ahem* Ron?) I've stumbled across over half a dozen Yoshinkan sites that are dead...

However, I have also learned that what you read on some of the sites is not always very factual even though it looks good. There's one site that lists the instructor as the head of of X organization for Y martial art linked to Z Sensei, the recognized head of the international organization of Y and legitimate heir to the leadership (like Doshu). However, a brief conversation with Shihan A of organization B who has a very well established and recognized relationship with Z Sensei (and pulled some half dozen years as uchi-deshi with Z) revealed absolutely no relationship between X and Z. In fact, a student of A dropped in anonymously and found X doing a number of things that Z Sensei specifically and emphatically tells his students *not* to do.

Confused yet? I hope that didn't trigger ugly flashbacks of algebra class for someone!

So the moral of our story is - while there is some really great information about some really awesome groups on the 'Net, doublecheck any information that is critical to you with an external source.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
while there is some really great information about some really awesome groups on the 'Net, doublecheck any information that is critical to you with an external source.
Absolutely. Thought that would go without saying...and even more so, make sure you go by and take the ukemi...

Quote:
For some reason (*ahem* Ron?) I've stumbled across over half a dozen Yoshinkan sites that are dead...
I wouldn't know anything about that. From my limited experience, it would seem that some of the American yudansha move around quite a bit, and often teach out of necessity so that they may train without going to other methodologies. This may lead to the condition you reference, as they continue to move about for carreer and family.

Best,
Ron (just my best guess)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

Quote:
Lori Snidow wrote: View Post
For some reason (*ahem* Ron?) I've stumbled across over half a dozen Yoshinkan sites that are dead...
I know exactly what you mean. I do Yoshinkan, and live in Ontario, and cant figure out what dojo in this province are still open and which are not...

it's not that hard to update a website - especially if only to say the dojo is closed.

Spike

--
Michael Kimeda
Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Ah! I think one of the people that Lori is looking for used to train with you...perhaps you can PM her and help her locate him.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------