Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
mrfeldmeyer

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Iaido Knees

Hello All,

I have been practicing Aikido for a couple of years and Iaido for around one year now. I am still fairly young (25), but am starting to feel some soreness in my knees for a day or two after practice (for about 4 weeks now). The last thing I want to do is cause permanent damage to my knees, and not be able to practice anymore.

I have been avoiding using knee pads in Iaido because the ones I have always bunch up behind my knee and feel as though they are cutting off the circulation in my leg. I have the knee protector that came with the Iaido package A from Tozando.

I am hoping someone out there makes a knee protector for Iai that doesn't bunch up behind your knee and leaves one fairly comfortable during a 2 hour practice. If anyone out there knows of a good place to look, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Iaido Knees

Quote:
Matthew Feldmeyer wrote: View Post
I have been avoiding using knee pads in Iaido because the ones I have always bunch up behind my knee and feel as though they are cutting off the circulation in my leg. I have the knee protector that came with the Iaido package A from Tozando.
Nike makes a softball kneepad that several people in my Iai dojo use when we're on hardwood. (Clicky)

I've used their volleyball thin-fit kneepad and like how thin it gets when compressed. It still bunches up a bit behind the knee however. Our Iai class is held in an Aikido dojo though so we have a padded floor and I almost never wear kneepads, they drive me nuts.

Out of curiosity, what kind of knee pain are you experiencing? Kneepads really only help minimize bruising on the outside of the knee (at least in an activity like Iai), if you're feeling pain in the knee, you may have something else going on.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 06-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

try these
http://www.homestead.com/floatingmountain/Kneelons.html

when i started in iaido, i used these. velcro straps above and below the knee. and the pad is not too bad

good luck
Old 06-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
dbotari
Canada

I like Chris use a Volleyball kneepad. Mine have a section of the elastic cut out from behind the knee so the "bunching up" is kept to a minimum.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

If you have a pair of pants you can customise to wear under your hak, check out my old Mirror column on adding soft knee pads to the front of the pants legs
http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/themirror/2005_11.html

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
mrfeldmeyer

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Out of curiosity, what kind of knee pain are you experiencing? Kneepads really only help minimize bruising on the outside of the knee (at least in an activity like Iai), if you're feeling pain in the knee, you may have something else going on.
Mostly just a bit of stiffness and uncomfort when they are in a bent position. It feels fine when I am walking or going up stairs, but if I'm sitting w/ knees bent for a while the uncomfortable feeling shows up a bit.

We have also recently started introducing some kicks into the Aikido regiment and I think I am having some aching due to moving my legs in ways that they haven't moved in a while. I practice Iaido on an aikido dojo floor around 6 times a month and a hardwood racquetball floor 2 times a month, so I am looking for some protection during the racquetball floor nights mostly. The dojo usually causes little to no pain.

Thanks for the suggestions.