Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-21-2000, 02:47 AM   #26
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I have heard Shoji Nishio Shihan say, that he believes that each 'generation' of Aikido-instructors will find ways to parse on their knowledge faster than they learned it, so that each new generation will be able to reach new hights in ability.

Whether or not O Sensei's skills will be surpased is in my view a question of definition. If we define Aikido as O Sensei's Aikido and the only true Aikido to be what he embodied then it is not possible to surpass him, as there will be nothing else than what he contained. If we accept that Aikido is in constant development (which I believe) and that everybody has their own Aikido and each person doing Aikido is unique then the matter of who will surpass who in skill is of little or no matter.

As you might have guessed i voted 'I have no idea'.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 09-21-2000, 01:02 PM   #27
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Talking

Quote:
Erik wrote:
Isn't the point of being a teacher to pass on what you know so that students don't have to make all the same mistakes you did?

I suppose another way of looking at this is that it allows them to make a whole bunch of new ones.
As Sensei once quoted to me.. "Mudansha make mistakes, Yudansha innovate.."

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall
Old 09-21-2000, 02:02 PM   #28
Bob
Dojo: Dryden Aikikai
The question asked was, and I paraphrase, "will we be able to recognize if someone's aikido is better than O'Sensei's?" but everyone seemed to want to answer the question "will anyone ever be better than O'Sensei?".

If we are to take the question as asked it is easy to see that only those who have seen O'Sensei could make that decision and they would have to have been as knowledgeable when they saw O'Sensei as they are when they judge someone else against him ... an impossible circumstance unless the comparison took place in the same time frame, I'd say.

yours in aiki

Bob
Old 09-21-2000, 03:10 PM   #29
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States
Do symbol

Quote:
As Sensei once quoted to me.. "Mudansha make mistakes, Yudansha innovate.."

Damn... I've been a yudansha for a number of years and I make more mistakes now than when I was a mudansha!