Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
MM
United_States
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I will be in Ft. Lauderdale, FL from the late afternoon/evening of Sep 14th through Sep 21st.

If anyone would like to get together while I'm there, let me know with an email at markmurray at ma.rr.com

My PM box here is nearly full, so use the email function instead.

Mark
Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

you know that Florida is hurricane corridor this time of the year, right? Charlotte is a better place.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
you know that Florida is hurricane corridor this time of the year, right? Charlotte is a better place.
Wow. "Corridor" makes it sound so respectable. We just call it Hurricane "alley", sounds seedier. You know, like a dark confined place that you go to get in a fight with a hurricane.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
MM
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
LOL, yes. But work is sending me down there so I didn't have a choice for Charlotte. Although it looks like I'll be in Memphis in October and San Diego in November. Still not Charlotte, but maybe someday.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
crbateman

While you are in the FTL, you might enjoy a visit with Peter & Penny Bernath at Florida Aikikai (USAF) and Stephanie Yap at Aikido of South Florida (Iwama). Good people, all.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
MM
United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
While you are in the FTL, you might enjoy a visit with Peter & Penny Bernath at Florida Aikikai (USAF) and Stephanie Yap at Aikido of South Florida (Iwama). Good people, all.
Thanks! I'll look up their addresses and hopefully I'll get a chance to train with them.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Mark please feel free to come visit us at Florida Aikikai (www.floridaaikikai.com). We are used to visitors and easily welcome them. I'm usually there at the evening classes. So please come on down here to the Hurricane Magnet of South Florida.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
MM
United_States

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote: View Post
Mark please feel free to come visit us at Florida Aikikai (www.floridaaikikai.com). We are used to visitors and easily welcome them. I'm usually there at the evening classes. So please come on down here to the Hurricane Magnet of South Florida.
Thank you for the invitation! If nothing changes, I should be free in the evenings. And if the hurricanes will temporarily stop ... Hope you didn't get too flooded from the last storm.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Thank you for the invitation! If nothing changes, I should be free in the evenings. And if the hurricanes will temporarily stop ... Hope you didn't get too flooded from the last storm.
We didn't get flooded down here in South Florida (this time), but Central and North Florida got hit pretty hard. I'm from Melbourne, Florida (just south of Cape Canavrel) and some areas got around 24" of rain! And now the St. John's River is flooding due to the run off. And that's "just" a Tropical Storm. Gustav is not heading our way so we'll be okay.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

http://ft-lauderdale-schools-of-aikido.com/

This is our sister dojo in Ft. Lauderdale. They're a good bunch of guys.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
DH
United_States

Hi Mark
This is a dojo I'm hoping to be visiting this year.
http://www.aikidowestflorida.com/aikido.htm
It's Erick Meades home dojo in Western Florida. If you can find the time it would interesting to see / compare your own current understanding of aiki in aikido with he and his teacher who supposedly do the same things. His teacher is the guy on the right on the front page. You also might want to hook up with Howard Popkin's group down there.
Have fun, bud
Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Sorry Mark, I am working at the Army National Guard Operation Center for the Hurricane Watch team this weekend

no seriously...I am!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
giriasis
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Mark
This is a dojo I'm hoping to be visiting this year.
http://www.aikidowestflorida.com/aikido.htm
It's Erick Meades home dojo in Western Florida. If you can find the time it would interesting to see / compare your own current understanding of aiki in aikido with he and his teacher who supposedly do the same things. His teacher is the guy on the right on the front page. You also might want to hook up with Howard Popkin's group down there.
Have fun, bud
They're way up in Pensacola in the panhandle about 30 minutes from Mobile, Alabama. Almost Alabama, if it were. (I can say that, 'cause that's where my family's roots are.)

Any how, a few of our guys in the dojo join in the Howard Popkin training group. I could introduce you to those guys and I'm certain if there's a training group that weekend they'd might invite you to join them.

P.S. We're a Hurricane MAGNET.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
mjchip
Dojo: Aikido Jinsei Dojo

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
I will be in Ft. Lauderdale, FL from the late afternoon/evening of Sep 14th through Sep 21st.

If anyone would like to get together while I'm there, let me know with an email at markmurray at ma.rr.com

My PM box here is nearly full, so use the email function instead.

Mark
Mark,

A very close friend of mine, Richie Ciriello, has a little aikido dojo run out of a MMA school. He's in Boca Raton: http://www.bocaaikikai.com/

Look him up when you get down there and tell him I sent you. He's a really cool guy and funny as hell. He would also appreciate the internal training that you are doing.

Regards,
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
MM
United_States

I'll try to make as many places as I can. Thanks everyone for the invites.

Mark, thanks. I checked out the website. Looks like Richie has classes M-F, so I should be able to make one of them.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #16
MM
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Sorry Mark, I am working at the Army National Guard Operation Center for the Hurricane Watch team this weekend

no seriously...I am!
Well, you're in Arlington for the most part, right? Shouldn't be too much of a problem for us to get together one of these days. I'm not too far from there -- 4 hours or so.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #17
MM
United_States

Well, shoot. I received voice mail that my trip to Ft. Lauderdale has been cancelled. Yuck.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
MM
United_States

Yep, my work trip to Ft. Lauderdale was cancelled. Yuck. Was looking forward to meeting everyone. I'm rerouted to Bushkill, PA instead.

Sorry,
Mark
Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
Yamazaru
Dojo: Florida Aikikai
United_States

Darn, sorry to hear that Mark. I was looking forward to comparing some notes on internal work with ya...stop by for a visit in a few months once our Hurricane-induced ulcers have all healed up

Have fun in PA!

Rob MacPherson
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #20
giriasis
United_States

Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing you, too. Next time, then.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #21
MM
United_States

I had maps printed out, dojo schedules and addresses. All ready to go. and then yuck.

Definitely next time.