Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-24-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
Bryan Siekierko
Slippery Tatami

Hi all,

Our dojo just bought a set of new tatami mats. Although it looks really good, the tatami feels like ice when I move around on it. This does not seem to be a big problem for other members at the dojo but I can barely stand up on it! Will the tatami eventually get a little more sticky as it gets used? Is there something I can put on my feet before I train so I can get a little more grip? We used to train on wrestling mats so this was never a problem before.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 10:50 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Slippery Tatami

If they are like the zebra mats tatami, they will get less slippery as used. It will take a little time though, and the change from wrestling mats is a pretty big one, since they tend to give a lot of traction. The new Zebra mats at the first Aiki Expo were also very slippery, but they got a lot better as they were used throughout the expo.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
jsuaikido
Dojo: Jacksonville State University

Slippery is GOOD. Almost all our injuries come from our mats gripping. I have a nice sprained knee due to our gripping mats. I would be thankful for your slippery mats! Think of it as a good opportunity for ukemi waza. The mats should get better with time and abuse.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:37 AM   #4
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Hi Bryan:

The only mat related injuries I have had have been from gaps in the mats, and sticky mats (specifically wrestling mats). I did the splits with my big toe and the next door neighbour toe and put my weight down on it. My poor toe was not happy, but it was OK for the rest of the seminar as long as I taped my toes together. Other than a bit of mat burn, slippery mats haven't been a problem- and can add to the drama of ukemi sometimes!
e ya later
Jill
Old 09-11-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

Too right; I have the same complaint as Jeremy. Our mats are just perfect; but going to a place with wrestling mats involves a double footload of seriously nervous piggies.
Bryan: If you're concerned about slipping on the mats; you could try putting a little talcum powder on the soles of your feet before stepping on. Not enough to leave a residue; just enough to control the sweat. Also; getting out of your shoes and walking around for about 10 minutes in bare feet prior to stepping on the mat helps a bit as well.

Cheers!

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

suriashi as part of your warmups can help on slippery mats too. I like them for ki-no-nagare practice, but for regular yoshinkan training, I tend to grip the mat with my toes a lot, so slippery is a little un-nerving. I usually hate canvas mats that aren't pulled real tight...I always end up with my right big toe jammed. Darn wrinkles...

On high traction surfaces (wearing sneakers, wrestling mats, etc.) I move the heel, knee, and hip as one unit...no knee problems that way. Actually I guess I try to do that all the time, but especially so on high traction surfaces...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Bryan Siekierko wrote:
Our dojo just bought a set of new tatami mats. Although it looks really good, the tatami feels like ice when I move around on it. This does not seem to be a big problem for other members at the dojo but I can barely stand up on it!
Hi Bryan,

Do you have very dry feet, with a lot of dead skin build-up? This can often be the cause of a person slipping on the tatami when others don't. If that's the case, a bit of work with a pumice stone, and applying moisturiser to your feet at night will help get rid of one slippery surface!

If your feet are ok, then you'll just have to get used to working on the new surface

Ruth
Old 09-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #8
M Sol Aguiar Castaņeira
Dojo: Dojo Central, Martinez, Buenos Aires
Argentina

Hi Brian;
A similar thing used to happen to me so I bought tabis. They are a sort of cotton socks, available in white or black. They prevent you from slipping either because of the tatami or because of sweat. It's a good solution. Hope it helps you.