Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-17-2002, 09:40 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of March 17, 2002:

Do you think running away from an attacker is a valid method of resolving conflict using aikido?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:05 AM   #2
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Running away is valid if it works. Otherwise, you're just prolonging the situation and changing the location. Of course, these may be viable tactical tools.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 03-17-2002, 11:40 AM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Question Running Away/ Aikido?

Is running away Aikido? Good Question!

What is the relevence of the situation?

Is it a moral, or social dilemma you are willing to die for? Or something that will work itself out even if it leaves your ego bruised and hurting?

The reason Martial Arts came into being was injustice and inequities by larger stronger people over smaller people giving tactical advantage to the smaller person. It isn't stressed by all teachers in each class, but you must do what ever it takes to preserve your well being to live.

Rule one: We do not fight unless we have to. If you always remember rule one, then very rarely will you have to fight.

Rule two: If we must fight, we do not fight for material gains, or our own glorification.

Fits right in with Aikido, doesn't it? Problem is, the hormones of youth sometimes overcome reason so the imagination see's hero's and MA characters out of some movie script ... until reason of middleage to old age sets in, if you live that long!

That is the difficulty of clear mind, clear thoughts in this particular decision? What do you see in front of you?

On the whole, if in your heart you know no good will come of fighting, walking away is the option. You may have to pick your spot with something more serious, but then that is why we train? To support the morally correct freedom of our society, so there are more of us who endorse it than those who would destroy or create kaos, isn't it?

If it isn't, maybe we should do as O'Sensei suggests ... bring many of the troublemakers into the Aikido circle so that practice will wear away the roughness, polish the spirit, and help to make them a productive part of humanity. (something like that...)

Walk away?

If you know in your heart it is the right thing to do, and especialially if you know you could win but still walk away, yeah, I would call that Aikido.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:34 AM   #4
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Clark
Running away is valid if it works. Otherwise, you're just prolonging the situation and changing the location. Of course, these may be viable tactical tools.
Sometimes running away feeds the frenzy of the attacker(s) and you've not only changed the location but escalated it in the form of the frenzy or a couple of extra's who joined for the chase.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:47 AM   #5
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Please notice that I said "running away is valid if it works."

Like all other strategic decisions, we don't know if it's a good choice until we know if it really worked.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 03-18-2002, 08:08 AM   #6
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
Absence of body is better than presence of mind .
Old 03-18-2002, 08:52 AM   #7
Edward
Thailand
Well, it depends on who has the better physical condition

Feeding the frenzy of the attacker, in case he catches you finally, might serve your aikido better than a "calm" attacker who knows what he's doing.

In case you can get away from him, you will probably spend the rest of your life wondering who would have won, but at least you would be alive to think about it.

Cheers,
Edward
Old 03-18-2002, 08:55 AM   #8
Edward
Thailand
By the way, the decision to run away or face the attacker depends very much on the attacker's size vs. mine, and the chances he might have any weapons.

For example, I would run away from a guy with a knife but not one with a firearm.

Cheers,
Edward
Old 03-18-2002, 12:24 PM   #9
Erik
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Clark
Please notice that I said "running away is valid if it works."
I did notice that.

I just wanted to add that running could even escalate the situation and piggy backed it on your post. It's non-standard Aikido doctrine and I liked it.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:41 PM   #10
JPT
Dojo: trad
Running way.... yes it is a viable defense e.g 1 against 50.... but I prefer to call it a Tactical Retreat at Speed. Or how about this against one attacker, Get up to full speed but then slow down letting your attacker catch up. Then just at right moment (as they are about to grab you) drop down into a ball on the floor, & your attacker will go flying straight over your body. A lovely Aiki Nage, which I used 20 years ago at school to catch out the bullies.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:49 AM   #11
Johan Tibell
Dojo: Aikido Dojo Gamlestaden
Or you could do like in "Life of Brian". Run in circles until the attacker dies of a heart attack... All for fun...

- Johan

Pour your spirit and heart
Into daily technical training
To approach the many through a single principle
This is "The Way of the Fighting Man"
Old 03-21-2002, 09:51 AM   #12
Johan Tibell
Dojo: Aikido Dojo Gamlestaden
Re: Running Away/ Aikido?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker

The reason Martial Arts came into being was injustice and inequities by larger stronger people over smaller people giving tactical advantage to the smaller person. It isn't stressed by all teachers in each class, but you must do what ever it takes to preserve your well being to live.
Well, yes and no. Depends on what you define as martial art. Bujutsu are techniques/tactics originally used in war. By both weak and strong...

- Johan

Pour your spirit and heart
Into daily technical training
To approach the many through a single principle
This is "The Way of the Fighting Man"
Old 03-21-2002, 11:50 AM   #13
REK
using "aikido"

I suppose it depends upon how you define "aikido", and how much of the philosophy of the art that you make manifest in your daily life.

I voted no. Running away IS a valid method of resolving a conflict. I am not convinced it is a valid way of resolving a conflict using aikido. Sure, there are circumstances in which an efficient advance to the rear is the only sensible response. But how does running away "blend with the incoming force" or "redirect it into a more positive direction". Or does that only apply to the training in the dojo?

Just some thoughts

Rob

Old 03-22-2002, 04:06 AM   #14
gadsmf@aol.com
Dojo: Kokoro,Tucson
Smile

"Of all of the 56 fighting forms, running away is by far the most effective"
Confucious, China, 8th Cuntury

DL Gadd
Old 03-22-2002, 11:58 AM   #15
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Quote:
Then just at right moment (as they are about to grab you) drop down into a ball on the floor, & your attacker will go flying straight over your body. A lovely Aiki Nage, which I used 20 years ago at school to catch out the bullies.
its great when it works doesn't it? unfortunately, for the sometimes that it doesn't... this is what happens.

aggressor, brakes at full speed using his leg and your ribs. Then keels over with a drop elbow on your exposed head. Says opps and dangnammit... Leaves the scene with a smirk on his face. (unless of course he was also an aikidoka who's conditioned to fly at a drop of a dime)

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:46 PM   #16
Brian H
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Bad guy will just move on

So you got away!! Now somebody else will get their ass kicked instead! Maybe the altruistic thing to do is to let the Bad Guy work out his aggressions on you and save the next guy some pain. Maybe you are having a good day and the Bad Guy will work things out by smacking the ground REALLY HARD a few times. Maybe not.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:15 PM   #17
JPT
Dojo: trad
Quote:
aggressor, brakes at full speed using his leg and your ribs. Then keels over with a drop elbow on your exposed head. Says opps and dangnammit... Leaves the scene with a smirk on his face. (unless of course he was also an aikidoka who's conditioned to fly at a drop of a dime)
Of course this could happen (or something similiar) if you do any of the aikido technique's incorrectly outside the dojo !!!

Quote:
But how does running away "blend with the incoming force" or "redirect it into a more positive direction". Or does that only apply to the training in the dojo?
I am not sure if this qualifies for answering your question but I'll tell you the story anyway.........
I once got into a bit of a scuffle with a little drunken irish man. At the time I had only done about 1 1/2 years of Karate (no Aikido). Myself & a few friends were walking home ,after a night at the pub, and physically stopped this chap from going swimming in the local river. Our reward for this good deed (for he was extremely drunk) was for him to accuse us of nicking his money and get angry. Naively I assumed my Karate pose and warned him off " I'm a student of Karate & don't want to fight etc..." Which was answered by him putting his hand in his back pocket and threating to cut me with an alleged blade. I knew from my karate training that if I had proper maai then he wouldn't be able to reach me. So as he advanced I backed off. As I backed off I had a great idea, which was to head towards the centre of town where I knew there would be lots of police. Soon after, we passed an extremely large man, who was going about his business in a notorious drug selling street. The irish guy, seeing that he wasn't getting any joy/action from me, started to shout at & insult this man. There was no doubt in my mind that if I let the irish guy continue then he would be in serious trouble. So I redirected him into chasing me again by taunting him & shouting that I was the one he really wanted to fight (thus saving him from a good kicking). I kept it up all the way back into town where the police finally had words with him.

Last edited by JPT : 03-23-2002 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:02 PM   #18
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Lightbulb Yes!!

Sure once your gone the baddie might go for a easier prey but lets face it you wanna live and you have not been in the situation yet to acually fear for your life from someone assulting you. Neither have I. if I could find an opening for running then im out period, no what abou the next victum i wanna live... and besides
you could run to a police sation and describe the man and the police could be on a lookout. you dont have to beat the guy to resolve conflict, aikido is about using nonviolence running is nonviolent, and if i dont have faith in my technque then im better have more faith in running eh??

oh by the way if someone has a firearm studies show that if you run away you acually have a better chanch of survivle. untill then peace.

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 03-23-2002, 11:35 PM   #19
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
A tactical retreat is part of every combat system - must be for a reason eh?

It will however rarely end a situation only delay it giving you time to get help, get a weapon, choose your ground, etc..

As for resolving conflict I don't think so. Unless the agressor chooses to let you go (or you can run faster) AND you have no need to go back to where he is then all you are left with is a very uncomfortable situation just waiting to explode.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #20
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay
Re: Poll: Do you think running away from an attacker is a valid method of resolving conflict using aikid

There's a thing I've read, that was something like "pain is temporary, pride is forever". I always thought this was INCREDIBLY stupid.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #21
Kyudos
United Kingdom
Re: Poll: Do you think running away from an attacker is a valid method of resolving c

Lucy... agreed! Very stupid!

Consider if you get killed, then temporary = forever!
Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #22
Josh Reyer

Japan
Re: Poll: Do you think running away from an attacker is a valid method of resolving conflict using aikid

I would say...

Running away is not aikido.
Aikido may be running away.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer