Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #26
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: First Strike Philosophy - Sensei Darren Friend.

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Demetrio,
Salve Demetrio!! Strapping on my toga, and pondering on your words,I would suggest that some of our veritable readers are not familiar with Latin.How about a translation for the plebs?Vale, Demetrio.
Mr. de Vos did a good translation some time ago

So, who wants peace, prepares for war. Who wants to achieve victory, trains his soldiers with diligence. Who aspires to success, fights with strategy, not leaving anything to chance. No one dares to provoke or offend whom he knows to be superior in combat.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=277
Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #27
kewms

And sometimes the other guy is just crazy, and doesn't care how capable you are.

Katherine
Old 06-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #28
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
No one dares to provoke or offend whom he knows to be superior in combat.
Who dares wins

Motto tsuyoku
Old 06-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #29
Sojourner
Australia

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
Utterly ridiculous. Why does it even need discussion? If you cannot initiate movement then you cannot even begin to learn to control or ultimately control your attacker. I would just laugh at someone who said such. Indeed, I have.
Looks like it turned out to be a pretty good discussion point....
Old 06-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #30
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Richard Campbell wrote: View Post
Who dares wins
The motto of one of the best trained SPECOPS units in the world.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #31
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

I don't do philosophy, y'all. I do tactics though.

There are two fundamental ways an attack happens, tactically: 1) known, and/or 2) unknown. Note: The conjunctive addition is intended.

The first is a "battlefield," whether such is on a square mile of the German front, or in the men's room of a bar perhaps one should not have been in - in either case, the potential attack is spotted before it is unleashed, and defensive measures can be "initiated."

The second is some sort of ambush situation, where the attack is not spotted by the defender until it is unleashed.... same two situations are fine, e.g. the same square mile of the German front, or in the men's room of that smelly bar your buddy talked you into going inside against your best judgment.

In the latter situation is where your practice of good, all-around ukemi skills will save your life, as they train you - if you let them - to accept energy/force, translate it from one type or direction into another, and redirect and or dissipate it through a larger area thus decreasing the impact potential (another e.g., this is the prototypical rolling with a punch/strike, going with the throw (throws can surprise folks, why do you think Olympic-level judoka get tossed for Ippon?). But, this isn't the "initiative-taking" situation.

In the known attack scenarios, I would ask that someone who thinks there is no initiative in aiki-theory to point out where that comes from? I think it's a misunderstanding of some core thought, personally. A misconception of the apparent willingness of the aikido person to wait, and accept what comes, and then take advantage of what's being presented to them.

While the above is true enough... is there a rule somewhere that says that, when the blowhard bad guy starts beating his (or her) chest in the bathroom, one couldn't begin the "defense" by taking a maneuver/step or two to a more advantageous position? Shoot, even just step back out the door? Initiative taken, conflict abated, perhaps avoided, nobody got hurt, especially the guy who just walked.

Yes, I get that doesn't sit well with people who really, deep down, just want to fight, so let's put that in a differnet tactical situation. The blowhard is between the aikido person and the only exit, thus meaning that one is forced, because of situation, to deal with the person. Again, hen the posturing starts, is there a reason somewhere that says that a step to open up, or close down, the attacker's position is barred? I've never heard of one... Shoot, sometimes merely stepping towards a person who is trying to be intimidating short-circuits their thought process and that ends it. In any event, it is possible to merely "move" and be in a dominant position. So, why not do so?

This discussion has been taken though almost every dojo of substance probably tens of thousands of times. Who actually initiates? Chicken or egg? And, does it matter? it's who can seize that initiative who ends up safer in the end.

These things can happen "inside" an attack, too. Same bar bathroom, "good guy" wants to leave, "bad guy" wants to stop him/her for whatever reason (rape, robbery, bull-headedness, drunken-love, who knows...), good guy moves to take advantage, bad guy is startled and makes a countermove (push, swing, grab, whatever), and good guy, having (hopefully) reduced bad guy's options to something predictable "deals witht he move with something which is, or isn't, elegant and awesomely Aiki-appearing and has bad-guy in a control of some kind.

... and then bad guy pulls a blade from somewhere and we start all over again, you see. Does good guy see/feel the blade come into the encounter? If not, when does the realization occur? Does he/she have time to evade and react to the "new" threat? I can go on and on with this, as you can probably imagine for yourself. You should be able to see how the initiative moves back and forth between the combatants.

See it, hear it, feel it, find it. Deal with it.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #32
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
I don't do philosophy, y'all. I do tactics though.
Me too. Hit or be hit! Like it or not

Motto tsuyoku