Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
mwible
Dojo: Aikido of Suenaka-Ha in Greater Richmond
United_States
Aikido Practice Away from the Dojo

im out of town for the next 2 weeks, so i am also unable to train for the next 2 weeks!!! which is quite unfortunate. but. i just wanted to start a thread asking what everyone does to practice aikido away from the dojo? like, is there anything in particular you like to do to train (other than taiso) away from the dojo? particularly if its just you and you dont have any other aikidoka to train with? just thought id see what i could turn up

in aiki

-morgan
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido Practice Away from the Dojo

Quote:
Morgan Wible wrote: View Post
im out of town for the next 2 weeks, so i am also unable to train for the next 2 weeks!!! which is quite unfortunate. but. i just wanted to start a thread asking what everyone does to practice aikido away from the dojo? like, is there anything in particular you like to do to train (other than taiso) away from the dojo? particularly if its just you and you dont have any other aikidoka to train with? just thought id see what i could turn up

in aiki

-morgan
Some of the footwork drills, ie with irimi tenkan and so forth. I also play with my jo and boken. Helps if you have a high ceiling, though.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Quote:

in aiki

-morgan
There are worse things than spending 2 weeks JUST doing taiso and bokken suburi.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
mwible
United_States

ok, well, since i didnt bring my jo or my bokken with me i guess ill just work on my taiso, haha.

thanks for the replys!!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:55 AM   #5
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

I don't know where you are for this two weeks, Morgan, but you might consider visiting a dojo where you are staying. It often is refreshing to experience a contrasting perspective, and most Aikido dojos are very accommodating of traveling students. Some of the finest people I know have been met this way.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Ki exercises.... every morning no matter where you are.
Mary
Old 07-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

the practice of mindfulness, simply being aware of your breathing, is also aikido off the mat.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 07-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Tijani1150

I suggest Kihon Dosa regardless of the style you practise I found it very handy in my Aikikai practise specialy when a new technique is introduced.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

In some cases a vacation from Aikido could also be considered a great practice. Rest is important to all training processes.

Aside from that, the circumstances may dictate your abilities to train. Personaly, I often found myself practicing Tai-Sabaki, but I only did it when I felt a need from within, otherwise, I prefer to let my mind rest.

Amir
Old 07-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
mwible
United_States

again, thank you all for your suggestions. and i would LOVE to go visit another aikido dojo over here, except i havent found any that are relatively close, and im staying with family so i dont know how polite that would be to them :/

-morgan
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
gi_james
Dojo: Misawa Aikido
Japan

Quote:
again, thank you all for your suggestions. and i would LOVE to go visit another aikido dojo over here, except i havent found any that are relatively close, and im staying with family so i dont know how polite that would be to them :/

-morgan
Morgan,

Thanks for posting this thread, I was thinking the same thing. I recently started, and I need more practice than 3 times per week, but I need to know how I can practice alone.

-James
Misawa AB, Japan
www.strickstuff.com
Old 07-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
mwible
United_States

Quote:
James Strickland wrote: View Post
Morgan,

Thanks for posting this thread, I was thinking the same thing. I recently started, and I need more practice than 3 times per week, but I need to know how I can practice alone.

-James
Misawa AB, Japan
www.strickstuff.com
james you are lucky to be able to practice 3 times a week! my dojo is only open tuesday's and thursday's! we do usually have atleast a 2 hour class, but still. i wish i could go 3 days a week :P

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!