Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
Mario Gunter Frastas

Germany
Ki (as in 'The Force')

Ki (as in "The Force")

It is relatively easy, so to speak, to explain how Aikido techniques work.
And it is also easy I suppose, to explain the philosophy that lies behind those techniques.
But even if someone would use his Ki power to walk through walls, people would still misunderstand what Ki is and how it works.
On top of it all, you have active Aikido practitioners who still don't get it, or when they do, they "confine" their Ki ability into their Dojo walls.
Meaning:
When you start controlling your Ki (which is the greatest start of all) you should improvise with it in your daily life and not keep it just for the "throw around people" routine.

A Martial Art that makes no prime use of Ki within its techniques looks like controlled violence.
A Martial Art (any Martial Art) that is based on Ki power looks like magic and I would like to explain why.
As I often say, Ki power is invisible to the eye but its effect is unbelievable to the eye!
People look at it and say "that just can't be happening" or at least say so until they join in…
Now imagine how it feels to the one applying it, or better don't, because it is beyond words and imagination. So, let's leave it at that.

There are detail explanations in "The Book In Between" about the use of Ki power, which are supported by a number of photos, and there is a Video demo two clicks to your left… but what's the use?
Still people, and I mean the majority of them, express their thoughts to me about their experience they once had by reading a book or books, lessons they took with a "guru", organizations of "enlightenment" they joined, "mind control" seminars they had, and much more of this than I care to remember!
And all this from the comfort of a chair or (believe it) while lying down on the floor.
Looks like I missed something a few decades ago, when I took it up to learn the Arts, and since then torture myself and my students with practice!
Now I know, I have finally seen the light, I should have stayed… lying down!

People who are interested in Ki power matters and everything that goes with it (and it's a lot!) are often more confused and lost than the ones that aren't interested in anything all together.
So, what do we do now?

If experience, ability and solid proof can't make it, what else can?
Maybe a fairytale can! So here you have it.

A long time ago in a galaxy far,
far away…

I don't know if we should thank George Lucas for his Star Wars or just go ahead and… sue him.
His concept of the Jedi Knights order, the peace warriors code, the training and use of the Force, is soooooooo much Aikido like!
The master-apprentice relation, the ability of insight, the light saber… ok that's enough let's sue this guy…
Maybe this fantasy is closer to any reality, at least any reality that can be explained and stop being misunderstood.

In this fantastic dialogue (that stands in the way just about every other day) after having explained for about two hours what Aikido is, comes the bomb question:
-So, you are into Zen and Karate (at this point making gestures and funny noises) and you eat only Sushi?
-No… (desperate) we are training ourselves into something that resembles more to the Jedi Knights.
-Oh! Do you "have" Dark Sith Lords too? (wicked smile)
-If you push it… you never know!

So, by fairytale or not, what is Ki after all, and how can we approach it?

…you must unlearn what you have learned…
Life creates it, makes it grow
Its energy surrounds us and binds us
You must feel the Force around you
Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere
Yoda
(from the motion picture The Empire Strikes Back)

(This text first appeared on MarioAikiBook.com, January 18, 2006)
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: Ki (as in 'The Force')

I will not touch the relationship between Aiki and the Force, but I would like to point out that the ideas in Star Wars were not those of Lucas, but instead those of Joseph Campbell.What Lucas has done with the original vision of Star Wars is shameful, and he has not produced anything even remotely as inspirational as the original trilogy since Campbell passed away.

One more thing, for any young people out there who are interested in starting to walk the thread of the hero path, track down copies of The Power of Myth and The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

Last edited by bkedelen : 05-07-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
reisler
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
Canada

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
I will not touch the relationship between Aiki and the Force, but I would like to point out that the ideas in Star Wars were not those of Lucas, but instead those of Joseph Campbell.What Lucas has done with the original vision of Star Wars is shameful, and he has not produced anything even remotely as inspirational as the original trilogy since Campbell passed away.
?????.. I think you missed the point

Mario,
I love the comparison between Aikidoka and Jedi!!!!
Just last night we were talking about using the Force. (The lights in the Dojo went out just before bokken practice.)

Roberta
Aikido - a kinder, gentler can o' Whoop Ass.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Not a coincidence, Lucas used OSensei and his comments about ki as a basis for Yoda and the force.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Mad Ki! Don't mess wit it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJOVPjhXMY
Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Sweet!

Since my "style" of Aikido is from Larry Reynosa (former student of Steven Seagal), then I guess I'm of the Sith variety. You may now address me as Darth Dewey!

Seriously, though.

I'm not sure what to make of Ki. Speaking to my experience thus far, I'd regard it as twofold. One, I consider it as heiho (martial strategy). Second, I'd consider it biomechanical electricity and applied leverage.

Last edited by Dewey : 05-08-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Dewey
United_States

Some months later...

wonder if he ever sold any copies of his book?

As we would say in Missouri: "may the Farce be with you!"
Old 07-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

My sensei always say ki is timing, speed and energy, and total aikido also mentioned that "ki is mastery of balance"

KamiKaze
Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 AM   #9
boyana
United_States

Mario well done!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #10
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Ki synonyms

There are countless beliefs and ideas about a life force or life energy in the world, some of them quite similar to the concept .

I made sort of an encyclopedia of such concepts, more or less synonymous to ki (qi). It became a book, but a large portion of it I also put on the web:
http://www.qi-energy.info/qi-synonyms.htm

And yes, the Force is there, too

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

I believe topics like this are more complicated than words can ever express.

The truth of something like ki is seen in the very act of a fist hitting a face - I know sounds ironically the opposite of ki, but its not.

Everything is intertwined and wrapped within itself - a life of singularity trying to act as duality - we live a life of drama which is all enacted upon a stage...nothing serious as we are all 'one'.

All this sounds mystical mumbo jumbo, but things connect.

The point is though, we dont fully understand how things connect - so we take basic concepts and turn them into fairy tale magic.

This in itself can be powerful upon the other minds that get entangled within your belief system - but on something outside of your belief system, it has no effect.

Reminds me of the old Aikido master on youtube who had his students dropping without touching them (mental suggestion), and then got his arse beat by someone who felt no unconscious tie to boost his ego.

So ki and Aikido - a lot more than meets the eye initially for sure.
And no, I dont expect this post to make much sense or for it to clearly reflect what it is Im thinking - but as I said at the beginning...this is a complex topic which words do not due justice to.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
eric_lecaptain

United_States

i have to share something amazing!!
i'm very "western" so prior to last nights practice i would have told you there is no such thing as "ki". however, my sensei showed me something yesterday i find unbelievable.
he "extended his ki" while standing on one foot and challenged me to push him down. i was unable to move him at all! even while he stood on one foot and i pushed will all my might.
absolutely amazing to me!!! i would not have believed it had i not participated...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
MM
United_States

Quote:
Eric LeCaptain wrote: View Post
i have to share something amazing!!
i'm very "western" so prior to last nights practice i would have told you there is no such thing as "ki". however, my sensei showed me something yesterday i find unbelievable.
he "extended his ki" while standing on one foot and challenged me to push him down. i was unable to move him at all! even while he stood on one foot and i pushed will all my might.
absolutely amazing to me!!! i would not have believed it had i not participated...
Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVCZf53XIE0
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
eric_lecaptain

United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
sorta, except more impressive as i was pushing him backward instead of sideways....
Old 07-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel

but there is a difference between life force and self hypnosis, it seems that the people in the videos including the so called master have mastered the self hypnosis method for believing they can control people with their life force (KI)...

now the question is, who live in a false world, we or them?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
eric_lecaptain

United_States

Quote:
Brian Dewey wrote: View Post
Sweet!

Since my "style" of Aikido is from Larry Reynosa (former student of Steven Seagal), then I guess I'm of the Sith variety. You may now address me as Darth Dewey!

Seriously, though.

I'm not sure what to make of Ki. Speaking to my experience thus far, I'd regard it as twofold. One, I consider it as heiho (martial strategy). Second, I'd consider it biomechanical electricity and applied leverage.
hey i was just curious. what "style" is steven seagal into??
Old 08-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
Eric LeCaptain wrote: View Post
hey i was just curious. what "style" is steven seagal into??
Seagal is Aikikai (last time I checked). Reynosa is Aikikai...he has a formal relationship with Hombu Dojo in his own right.

Concerning your "ki" experiences: I'd strongly suggest moving those into a more dynamic environment. I've found that the whole concept of "ki tests" changes dramatically when an uke attacks sincerely (i.e. as in, throwing everything he has at nage). In that regard, this 5'7", 175lb. man has "felt" ki when he regularly throws everything he has at his sempai..."felt" as in my backside on the tatami and/or in painful jointlock...depsite my best efforts to fight against.

Regards,
Old 08-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #18
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

from wikipedia: "The literal translation is "air", "breath", or "gas""

...all three of which mystically occur at our dojo with frightening regularity.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #19
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Ki Symbol Ki kanji

Quote:
William Prusner wrote: View Post
from wikipedia: "The literal translation is "air", "breath", or "gas""
...all three of which mystically occur at our dojo with frightening regularity.
The kanji pictogram for ki, , actually consists of two parts: One is the sign for air, vapor, or mist, and the other (inside of the former) is the sign for rice. Boiling rice, the main nutrition for the Chinese and Japanese.
So, it implies an energy or nourishment within the air.

I have written about ki - and examples of how to exercise it - on my website:
http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/ki-energy.htm

Whether you believe in it or not, it is a rewarding method to develop your aikido. But of course, muscles are good to have, too

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd