Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-02-2003, 07:12 AM   #1
Hanna B
Sweden
Regular web board participants

Most aikido people choose not to spend their time om web boards such as this one. We who do, are a minority.

Why do we? How are we different from the rest of the aikido people out there? Do we have something in common that the others don't?
Old 03-02-2003, 07:23 AM   #2
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Quite honestly Hannah, the major reason I do is that I work from home, and when I have something printing up, my time is free and I play around on the site. I do find it very useful though, having asked for help on numerous subjects, and having received a lot of thoughtful response. In particular the thread that I started on getting a dojo up and running has been tremendously helpful.

Last week there was a thread on why we use the forums, you can find it at:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=3443
Old 03-02-2003, 07:38 AM   #3
Hanna B
Sweden
Thank you Rachel, I actually had that thread in mind when I started this one. The two questions are slightly differently angled, I think.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:45 AM   #4
rachmass
Okay Hannah, I read it more carefully this time...

...I think we are computer geeks!
Old 03-02-2003, 08:04 AM   #5
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~Hi Hanna! I participate here because it seemed a receptive medium for sharing ideas, getting feedback and advice in areas where I'm struggling and 'meeting' Aikidoka from around the world. I also don't mind my thoughts, concepts, perceptions, etc. being challanged, as do many folks who keep their heads down in their own little dojo. Got nothing against them but that's not my choice. I like far horizons and this lets me feel that I'm part of a world dojo

~~Paula~~
Old 03-02-2003, 08:39 AM   #6
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
I work from home. And this is the only board that interests me enough to participate in. (Once in a while I'll post at Aikido Journal...but, not very often)

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 03-02-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
rachmass
I wonder what the percentage of regular posters are who work from home? Seems we have a bit more flexibilty to spend our time surfing than those stuck in a cubicle. Any thoughts anyone else?
Old 03-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
Erik Young
Dojo: Wilmington Kokikai Dojo
I don't work from home, but I do multi-task a lot. I'm also a chronic procrastinator (never do today what you can put off until tomorrow!).

Anyway, I tend to work in short, intesnse bursts with frequent breaks in between sessions. So, I will frequent this and other forums pertaining to my other interests. It passes the time and keeps me sane.

As to are we a minority? I dunno. Perhaps, however, I try to use all the resources at my disposal to train...this forum is one of them. FWIW.

PEace,

Erik

HAve you heard the one about the agnostic dyslexic? He wasn't sure if he believed in the existence of Dog.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: Regular web board participants

Quote:
Hanna Björk (Hanna B) wrote:
Most aikido people choose not to spend their time om web boards such as this one. We who do, are a minority.

Why do we? How are we different from the rest of the aikido people out there? Do we have something in common that the others don't?
Because we are nerds?????????

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 03-02-2003, 03:00 PM   #10
ikkainogakusei

Quote:
Hanna Björk (Hanna B) wrote:

Hi Hanna

I do it because I get a little fried from research/study and it's an easy distraction since I'm already at the computer.

I choose aikido, instead of any other web discussion board, probably because I am amongst very self-involved youngin's who are interested in beer, fashion, and drama (not theatre, but rather the real-life stuff). Ahh, to be a decade older than most other students. So all of these things seem to cause me to yearn for a more aiki-discussion.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:19 PM   #11
bob_stra
Australia

Strange working hours + uni + insomnia = Aikiweb.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #12
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
Quite the opposite, I post from work - otherwise I would be working. Although I will deny it if asked.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 03-02-2003, 06:00 PM   #13
Bogeyman
Dojo: UW-La Crosse Aikido
Because I know little and as a whoole we come up with things that no one person would.

E
Old 03-02-2003, 10:23 PM   #14
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
perhaps others have found themselves in the same position?........namely finding yourself out in the "boonies" as it were, with only a few others from your dojo to connect with.

Class not meeting tonight? log on, and at least get a bit of info/feedback/ as well as a chance to *Wallow*? (Is that too weird sounding?) in the art that I have searched for, for too many years to mention. Damn bucolic rural life!

Since this is still relatively new for me..(six monthes, testing for 5'th kyu in April I think!) since this is still so new, the freshness of the art is cool to touch via the net.

Also an ongoing learning process with the computer makes the two interests "coincide".

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 03-03-2003, 02:59 AM   #15
Ta Kung
I also post from work, mostly. Keeps me from sitting in front of that damn computer in my office all day... hey wait! No it doesn't!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:29 AM   #16
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
As an English participant it's nice to see what the rest of the world does in the practice of Aikido. It's also very useful for me to see that Aikido is worldwide. BTW there are some people from my own Dojo who just lurk (are you there Bob?).

Mostly I post from work, it's a much faster connection.

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 03-03-2003, 08:33 AM   #17
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
I'm one of the folks out in the aikido boonies. I've never been here to chat. This isn't like a virtual aikido pub for me.

I've always browsed this site and others to fill my craving for information about aikido.

I guess I'm lucky that the art I stumbled into is aikido which through this site and others is so well represented on the web.

That said, it took a while to learn to separate the good sources of information from the not-so-good. Thank goodness for Stan Pranin, Peter Goldsbury, et. al.

YMMV,

Greg Jennings
Old 03-03-2003, 09:20 AM   #18
Ray Kissane
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido
I think one of the big benefits is that I can get a feel for what others are doing in different styles of Aikido. I also like the technical discussion because it allows me to touch on sources who are not in my dojo or oraganization.

Ray Kissane
Old 03-03-2003, 01:47 PM   #19
SeiserL

United_States
Isolation at times and the the desire for conversation about Aikido. Outside the Dojo, I have very few people to talk to about my passion. Have learn a lot here. Hopefully others have learned a little something from me. Its a great place to practice mental and verbal Aikido.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-03-2003, 03:00 PM   #20
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Hey Lan!

You BETTER test in April! Your "stature" as an Uke makes my technique look good!! And I'll be testing too!

Right Sensei??

:::looks around to see if Sensei is here.

I know I post here because my line of work is always running hot or cold. So when I have free time, I like to research and get feedback on things that interest me. Jun's website is perfect for that!

THANKS AGAIN, JUN !

Old 03-04-2003, 02:37 AM   #21
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I do it because I LOVE to talk about aikido - I'm very verbal.... and because I'm too weak to stay away even though I should be spending more time on work and less on the board.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-04-2003, 08:58 AM   #22
one4k4
We're AikiHackers. I agree with Erik Young, I multitask quite often as well. Right now, I've got a telnet session open, this window, another window looking at a report, lunch in front of me (mm, chicken), an AIM window blinking away.. no wonder my eyes get tired by 2pm.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:54 AM   #23
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
I'm at work as well. Well not now but usually I post from work. I work a night shift and some times it gets very slow so I pass the time talking and learning about my favorite topic.

Since I've been here I find this type of communication is a good tool for anylizing how I interact with people. was my ego entering into the conversation? Was the other persons? How should I deal with it so it dosn't escalate into more hurt feelings in the future?

These are all questions I find I'm asking myself. What I learn about myself here spills into all my relation ships. I think for the better.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:04 AM   #24
Alfonso
similar reasons, easy access to internet, intense compulsion to think about aikido all day (and night). I'd worry about the obsession, but it seems pretty benging, as this forum allows some relief to the need to think more actively about it.

plus I don't mind making a fool of myself too much, compared to some of my friends who lurk and exercise better restraint on their gabbiness.

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 03-06-2003, 05:47 AM   #25
xaj

im here! but i dont really like the board system, so i dont post much lol.