Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Yuishinkai

After watching the seminar DVDs and speaking to others I'm curious as to the sword work in Aikido Yuishinkai.

Does anyone have any info on the source of the shinkage ryu taught by Maruyama Sensei within Aikido Yuishinkai? Who did Maruyama Sensei learn it from which particular strain of Shinkage Ryu is it that is taught etc?

Am really irritated at still not being able to get to the seminars he has taught in the UK Am hoping to get there next year but will be getting married at around this time. Thank god my wife-to-be is also a budo junky or my life simply wouldn't work...

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Ed Stansfield

Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Yuishinkai

This is a question that has also occured to me.

On the courses that I've been to, I've always understood him to say that Shinkage Ryu was what O Sensei learnt / practiced but I haven't heard him talk about practicing Shinkage Ryu with O Sensei in the same way that he talks about practicing Aikido / taking ukemi for O Sensei etc.

On Monday, he talked about learning the jo kata from Tohei Sensei. (There's a sentance I don't write too often!) But, while he was quite specific about the Shinkage Ryu practice; the excercises and katas etc, he didn't talk about where he learnt it.

All I can say is that in my very, very limited experience Maruyama Sensei draws a clear link between the Aikido and Sword arts which he teaches and the Aikido and Sword arts practiced by O Sensei.

That isn't much help is it?

Quote:
Mike wrote:
Am really irritated at still not being able to get to the seminars he has taught in the UK
If you formed a renegade splinter group, you could maybe get him to do seminars in Aberdeen Have I suggested that before?

Alternatively, have you thought about emigrating?

Quote:
Ed wrote:
That isn't much help is it?
Take care,

Ed

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Yuishinkai

Quote:
Ed Stansfield wrote: View Post
If you formed a renegade splinter group, you could maybe get him to do seminars in Aberdeen Have I suggested that before?
I believe you have yes I would love to have Maruyama Sensei come to Aberdeen but we certainly couldn't afford it, nor do we have any role in organising his annual visit to the UK.

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr