Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2003, 11:14 AM   #1
bob_stra
Australia
Help!! Grading Question

Hi folks

Can any of you provide a explantion /URL / gif / animation / picture of the following -

KATA
Happoken no kata
Sambo geri no kata

TAISABAKI
Nagashi
Okuri

WANRYOKU YOSEI
Nigiri-gaeshi
Morote-kote-dori suihei

UKEMI
What the heck does "mukae" mean? (eg: Ushiro kaiten mukae ukemi)

I've just double check and yep, that's the right spelling according to the requirements for "6th Kyu" at my (Yoseikan) club.

(question...shouldn't that be 5th - I thought 6th was white belt?)

Failing that, can you give me a "word for word translation"? For example something like Zenpo kaiten migi ukemi translates to front right forward roll. (praise be to the aikido faq)

Anyone??
Old 02-04-2003, 08:39 PM   #2
JW

Re: Help!! Grading Question

Well, the terms are mostly foreign to me so I'm not much help.... sounds kinda weird that they are surprising you with stuff..
Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich (bob_stra) wrote:
Hi folks

Happoken no kata
Is it the "eight-direction cut"? (hard to

verbally describe! front back right left diagonal diagonal diagonal diagonal)

Nigiri-gaeshi sounds like a dinner-table move.. heh heh sorry

hope someone else knows more..

--JW
Old 02-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Re: Help!! Grading Question

Quote:
Jonathan Wong (JW) wrote:
Well, the terms are mostly foreign to me so I'm not much help.... sounds kinda weird that they are surprising you with stuff..

--JW
It's more the names rather than the techniques. For example hiji-kudaki is always called "bodysit armlock" in class. Took me a while to find the same tech on the net under its Japanese name.

I *think* nigiri-gaeshi is a wristlock of some type... possibly as a defense against morote-kote-dori-suihei (lit. two hand wrist capture, horizontal)

But thanks for trying Jonathan ;-)

Guys...a little help here...?

(sigh... I'm gonna have to pay for a private class and tape it, aren't I ? )
Old 02-04-2003, 11:53 PM   #4
Bud
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines
The terminology is not familiar to me. Why don't you ask your sensei he can teach a review class.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:48 AM   #5
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
Buddy Acenas (Bud) wrote:
The terminology is not familiar to me. Why don't you ask your sensei he can teach a review class.
<pouts>

But I WANNA KNOW NOW!! WAAAH WAAH ;-)

Seriously though, I thought I'd show some initiative of my own. I'm actually planning on taking a private lesson sometime next week and video taping it for reference.

You aikido ppl are wacky. Just call a spade a friggin spade already...kote this, gaeshi that...

(whoops...I'm aikido people now ;-)
Old 02-05-2003, 08:59 AM   #6
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
It is interesting to break down these techniques. The kanji would be much help to get a more literal translation.

Happoken no kata - 8 sword movements

I have no idea what "sambo" means

Nigiri gaeshi - two cut turn away

BTW, Hijikudaki literally means "elbow crusher" and can be likened to rokkyo in some styles.

Of course, I could be way off base.

I find it interesting how different terminology for the same techniques can be so...well...different.

Just another thing that adds flavor to our Aikido.

Last edited by MikeE : 02-05-2003 at 09:02 AM.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 02-05-2003, 09:00 AM   #7
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
http://bama.ua.edu/~usbudo/taisabk6.htm

hope this helps with at leats one of them

gotta dash

Old 02-05-2003, 09:27 AM   #8
Bud
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines
Quote:
<pouts>

But I WANNA KNOW NOW!! WAAAH WAAH ;-)

Seriously though, I thought I'd show some initiative of my own. I'm actually planning on taking a private lesson sometime next week and video taping it for reference.

You aikido ppl are wacky. Just call a spade a friggin spade already...kote this, gaeshi that...

(whoops...I'm aikido people now ;-)
Wacky? LOL

Aikido is taught in several different flavors and each style has its own terminology for technique, attacks, etc. I don't do Yoseikan aikido so I don't know what any of those are.

But I still think you need to ask your sensei.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:24 PM   #9
Kent Enfield

United_States
Re: Help!! Grading Question

Happoken no kata

This could be eight-direction fist(s) or eight direction sword(s) among other things, though "happoken" when refering to swords sounds weird to me. My guess would be that it's what I would call happo giri undo.

Sambo geri no kata

If it's actually supposed to be "sampo" then it would be the form of kicking in three directions. If it's also supposed to be "giri," then it would be the form of cutting in three directions. Various sampo giri are found in iaido/battojutsu schools.

Nagashi

"Drain/shed/wash away." I can't guess what this would be, as I've only ever encountered the term in sword work, in the compound uke nagashi.

Okuri

"Sending." I'm guessing this is footwork (okuri ashi) in which the leading foot moves first.

WANRYOKU YOSEI

Probably "arm-power somthing." Without kanji, there are way to many compounds read yosei or yousei.

Nigiri-gaeshi

"Grip reversal." Either a counter or a movement with a grip.

Morote-kote-dori suihei

"Double handed wrist grab something." The only suihei I know are horizon and naval tactics.

What the heck does "mukae" mean? (eg: Ushiro kaiten mukae ukemi)

"Going out to meet." It can be when one thing intercepts another. The notion of "mukae ukemi" doesn't make any sense to me.

I've just double check and yep, that's the right spelling according to the requirements for "6th Kyu" at my (Yoseikan) club.

Just because it's on a sheet somewhere doesn't mean it's spelled correctly. Some mispellings get institutionalized. In judo stuff, one sees "kyo tsuke" for "ki o tsuke" all the time. And I count the number of times I've seen "Shotokan" translated as "small pines school" when "kan" means building or hall, not school.

Failing that, can you give me a "word for word translation"? For example something like Zenpo kaiten migi ukemi translates to front right forward roll. (praise be to the aikido faq)

That'd actually be forward rolling right fall. There's only one front/forward in it.

Kentokuseisei
Old 02-06-2003, 04:52 AM   #10
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Re: Help!! Grading Question

Thanks to all for the help.

I've just spoken to a class mate - the "sambo" refers to some sort of kicking kata. The other (happoken) is a 8 direction body shift.

The mukae ukemi is a "double" rolling ukemi - still not too clear on that one, though it could be the obvious.

Thanks for the taisabaki link Kev - if only they'd get the rest of the cirrucilum on line ;-)

BTW Kent, I thought Okuri meant double as in Okuri Ashi barai - double foot sweep?
Old 02-06-2003, 02:30 PM   #11
Kent Enfield

United_States
Re: Re: Re: Help!! Grading Question

Quote:
BTW Kent, I thought Okuri meant double as in Okuri Ashi barai - double foot sweep?
Not that I'm aware of. Okuri ashi barai, at least in judo, is one foot sweeping one foot. The difference between okuri ashi barai and de ashi barai is what direction things are moving. "Sending" versus "going out."

Kentokuseisei
Old 02-07-2003, 02:53 AM   #12
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Help!! Grading Question

Quote:
Kent Enfield wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. Okuri ashi barai, at least in judo, is one foot sweeping one foot. The difference between okuri ashi barai and de ashi barai is what direction things are moving. "Sending" versus "going out."
I had to refresh my memory, not being a footsweep man myself

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...iashiharai.htm

Seems your right - I think the "double" might be a mnemonic I've used to remember it (like "soggy nappies" for jigotai etc)