Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #26
AsimHanif
Reza- exactly. That's what I mean by the object of karate is not to protect the attacker. I still work kata every so often but with a different emphasis. Much more softer now than before and a different rhythm.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:45 PM   #27
boni tongson

Dojo: Club "43" Karate, Ki Aikido Asso. International, Nijon Bujutsu / Philippines
Quote:
A struggle or contest in which the participants attempt to clutch or grip each other or alternatively
in my opinion sir, which may be wrong, an opponent that can touch you can kill you.

I correct myself sir
"when you let yourself grapple an opponent on the ground"...or standing up will still put you on a vulnerable position.

"Grappling doesn't imply groundwork."
exactly, Good point sir

Good day

Last edited by boni tongson : 12-03-2003 at 05:49 PM.

Weak hearts and flesh do not exist where undaunted spirits dwell!
-PMA
Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 PM   #28
paw
Boni,
Quote:
in my opinion sir, which may be wrong, an opponent that can touch you can kill you.
Please don't refer to me as "sir". I work for a living. You may address me as Paul or paw whichever you are more comfortable with.

As to your opinion, I'm not sure what your point is.

I sought only to correct the misperception about the definition of grappling. I leave to others to decide for themselves if grappling is worthwhile to train for fun, sport, spiritual enlightenment or self-defense.

Regards,

Paul
Old 12-03-2003, 10:48 PM   #29
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
No, seriously. Pilates really does help you with your center. It strengthens your core muscles, ( abdominals, back, trunk in general), and has helped my Aikido, (and figure skating).

Jeanne
Old 12-04-2003, 02:06 AM   #30
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
I'm taking tai chi because my Sensei says it will help in aikido. My primary tai chi teacher (I train with two, at different schools) agrees, and sometimes demonstrates how a particular tai chi move would be done if it were part of karate and if it were part of aikido -- as he points out in these demos, the aikido versions are very close to tai chi.He also teaches us qi gong, which I find helps both my tai chi and my aikido.

I take a weekly pancrase hybrid jujitsu class my aikido teacher teaches because he feels very strongly that groundwork enhances aikido's effectiveness, and I do find that the two complement each other very well.

I've started weight training to strenghen my hands, wrists and back to help my aikido, and have recently begun looking into Five Animal Kung Fu because my Sensei trained in it and it seems to have elements that will help my aikido. Do any of you have experience with that?

I'm starting to train some with a bokken to help my aikido -- we did it a bit in aikido class and I can see that it helps.

I continue taking kenpo karate classes, but that's as a second activity (I started it before the school gained an aikido teacher), not to enhance my aikido. I find that the kenpo training increases my general strength, speed and stamina which helps my aikido, but the kenpo techniques themselves don't seem particularly applicable to aikido.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:39 AM   #31
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
Wow Wendy, that is an awesome array of training you got goin' there!

, can't find m s
Old 12-04-2003, 12:52 PM   #32
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Hey Wendy,

This is just my opinion which isn't worth much, but couldn't all time you're spending training in tai chi, pancrase, and kung fu, to help your aikido be spent on the mat training aikido?

I think cross training is great but I think it should happen after a base in a main style has been established, again my opinion.

I tend to agree with the people on this board who say the only way to get good at activity X is to do activity X.

YMMV

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-04-2003, 07:16 PM   #33
W^2
United_States
Wink Ahh what do you know...

Hello Mr. Diffin,

I find your last comments rather ironic, considering that Aikido is an amalgam of other Martial Arts itself.

Personally, I train in many different Martial Arts from various cultures, with accompanying differences in philosophy. I do this in accordance with a philosophy of continuing self-development, and in this light, Aikido is just one aspect of a synergistic whole.

Of course, that [philosophy] isn't for everyone...

-Ward2
Old 12-04-2003, 08:32 PM   #34
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
Bronson,

If my non-aikido classes conflicted with times when I could be doing aikido at the dojo, I wouldn't take them. As it is, I'm at every aikido class (just two per week so far) and every pancrase hybrid jujitsu class since my Sensei teaches that as a companion to his aikido. I think what I'm getting out of the other classes is worth the time and effort I'm putting into them.

Jesse -- yeah, well, there are those who say I'm obsessive. And after writing all that down, I have to admit it's just slightly hard to deny. But then, I couldn't even do one pushup when I started taking karate 15 months ago and now I can do loads of them ... and at 125 lbs and a hair over 5'3", I find it amazing that my aikido can knock over large men. Talk about "empowering!"
Old 12-05-2003, 03:49 AM   #35
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: Cross Training

Quote:
Asim Hanif (AsimHanif) wrote:
I would be interested in knowing if there are any out there who cross train in other martial arts or some conditioning program to enhance their practice? If so, what type, how much, and how does it help?
Salaams! I trained in Kung Fu for 7 years before starting aikido. I still do some of the excercises and conditioning training I learned back then. I think that all the training methods of all the arts are beneficial to conditioning your body. For example: There is a conditioning excercise for the body to develope tone and internal breathing at the same time called "dynamic tension." This is something beneficial for all martial artist. It will enhance your practice as well as the delivery of your technique immensely!

Old 12-05-2003, 11:06 AM   #36
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
Quote:
There is a conditioning excercise for the body to develope tone and internal breathing at the same time called "dynamic tension." This is something beneficial for all martial artist. It will enhance your practice as well as the delivery of your technique immensely!
tell us more...

, can't find m s
Old 12-05-2003, 12:31 PM   #37
AsimHanif
Jesse,

you may want to check out some tapes or books on Sanchin/Tensho or Seisan Kata from the Okinawan Goju Ryu.

Nafis -hope you received my email.

Kashiwaya Sensei will be here 12/30.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #38
AsimHanif
Correction 12/13 & 12/14.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:45 AM   #39
Bronson

Re: Ahh what do you know...

Quote:
Ward Ward (W^2) wrote:
Ahh what do you know...
About as much as you
Quote:
Ward Ward (W^2) wrote:
Hello Mr. Diffin
Is my dad here?
Quote:
Ward Ward (W^2) wrote:
Of course, that [philosophy] isn't for everyone...
Exactly. If it works for you...great. Doesn't work for me. Frankly I think everyones training would be better if they did it my way and only my way

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-06-2003, 12:50 AM   #40
Bronson

Quote:
Wendy Rowe (wendyrowe) wrote:
If my non-aikido classes conflicted with times when I could be doing aikido at the dojo, I wouldn't take them. As it is, I'm at every aikido class (just two per week so far) and every pancrase hybrid jujitsu class since my Sensei teaches that as a companion to his aikido. I think what I'm getting out of the other classes is worth the time and effort I'm putting into them.
Ok, as long as you aren't wasting your time with that other "crap"

If you can do the other training and not get everything all jumbled in your head, hands, and feet more power to you. I, and most people I know, seem to have a hard time of it, at least until a solid base in one thing or another is formed.

Again, YMMV

Bronson

Old 12-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #41
pbaehr
Somewhere around the middle of my aikido training I practiced ishinryu karate for about six months. I chose it specifically because it was so different from aikido. I was concerned an art with similar techniques would slow down my progress in aikido. It was definitely different and I enjoyed it, but I had to commit to just one art when my schedule became too full. The choice was pretty easy for me. I do have to say, though, I got a much better workout at karate. Strength and flexibility increased a great deal because the classes were much more physically intense. On the other hand, I find aikido much more compatible with my lifestyle. I hope to sample a few more of the "striking arts" when I have time and try to find one I really like. One of my instructors suggested JKD. Anyone trained in it?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:53 PM   #42
pbaehr
Oops, I meant "isshinryu." Apparently there is also an "ishinryu" karate. Just goes to show how little I know about karate. Go figure my spelling error was actually another form.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:54 AM   #43
AsimHanif
Yes, Isshin ryu is part of the Goju ryu family.

This leads me to another question that I will take up on another thread concerning past training and has it helped or hindered?
Old 12-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #44
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
I have a 14 year old student in my class that also practices Okinawan Karate. What is wonderful to see in a student so young is his attentiveness and awareness. He does not, as do some multiple-art students I have seen, try to mix both. When he comes to class, his entire focus is on whatever is being demonstrated and practiced, whether it be a technique or learning to turn in place and still maintain balance. (That took me 10 years to learn!! And I still get dizzy!!!!)

Earlier in this thread one mentioned his wife bikes and runs. While one is not done to enhance the other, the end result either way will be enhancement of physical and mental ability.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:29 AM   #45
paw
Larry,
Quote:
Earlier in this thread one mentioned his wife bikes and runs. While one is not done to enhance the other, the end result either way will be enhancement of physical and mental ability.
That was me.

And FWIW, my wife would disagree with you. To her biking, no matter how difficult, no matter how fast, no matter how long, is transportation (a means to get from point A to point B). She has not and likely will never consider it exercise. Running is another matter.

Personally, I bike to work and would not say that it has enhanced my physical abilities one bit. I have long since adapted to the demands of getting from house to work. As exercise, it has lost it's challenge. It is an activity, not exercise.

The point is there is a difference between "cross training" and training in two or more things at once. There is also a difference between "exercise" and "activity".

Regards,

Paul
Old 12-09-2003, 09:33 AM   #46
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
I am not totally without a brain...I will never argue with wife!!!!!!!!! :-)

To clarify my point, I will say that to me, one would enhance the other as both would be exercise for me. Being a computer jockey, I do not get nearly enough exercise!!

But I did not mean to contradict anybody...rather was speaking from what I felt when reading the thought.

Thanks for the correction
Old 12-09-2003, 02:00 PM   #47
W^2
United_States
Talking First, my apologies to everyone...

Ah Bronson,

I have deduced that you must be a Mathematician [or is it politician?]- Your reply to my post was entirely correct and completely useless...

Jokingly,

Ward2

PS I don't quite know how to say this but...I'm definitely NOT your daddy (just trying to show some respect).

Last edited by W^2 : 12-09-2003 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:17 PM   #48
pbaehr
I guess it would have made sense to mention before that while I was practicing isshinryu karate a very talented isshinryu black belt began practicing aikido with us. He picked up on things more much quickly than most of our new students, however his technique was noticably stiffer and more rigid as a result (I'm assuming) of his karate training. Similar to what Larry described, he regarded the two arts as entirely separate entities and didn't mix the two. Regarding Asim's question, I think overall it helped him. Also, I think my aikido experience helped me pick up the karate faster than the people with no other training who started with me.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:28 AM   #49
Bronson

Re: First, my apologies to everyone...

Quote:
Ward Ward (W^2) wrote:
Ah Bronson,

I have deduced that you must be a Mathematician [or is it politician?]
I'm afraid, my friend, you would be incorrect on both accounts
Quote:
Ward Ward (W^2) wrote:
Your reply to my post was entirely correct and completely useless...
Ahh, then my answer mirrors my life...excellent!
Quote:
Ward Ward (W^2) wrote:
PS I don't quite know how to say this but...I'm definitely NOT your daddy (just trying to show some respect).
While the respect is appreciated, Bronson will do just fine. Mr. Diffin is my father.

Train well (in your scattered all over the board way), be safe, and have fun

WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!

Bronson

Old 12-12-2003, 03:04 AM   #50
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
OT - Bronson, I've always admired your ability with quotes and smileys, you must teach me your technique sometime

So, has there been any conclusions with regard to cross-training and supplemental training? I'm a bit lost if there was.