Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Non-profit resources

Hi All,

We recently attained federal non-profit status where I teach. My question to all is where might I find good resources that are now available to us? In other words, how can we milk this for all it's worth?

Thanks,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Non-profit resources

IMHO, and I used to write grants and run a non-profit child abuse treatment center, go to the local library and get books on grant writing. I have a generic process and outline I use I can send you. get you program defined. Talk with the reference desk for the foundations directories. Find ones that are funding what we are doing. Call them and get on their RFP (request for proposal) list. They will send you an outline, submit accordingly. Local service clubs also have fund for the asking.

I was born and raised in Pontiac, let me know if I can be of help.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Bronson

Thanks Lynn If it's not too much trouble I'd love a copy of the process and outline. If it's something you can email you can send it to aiki_b@yahoo.com. If it's a snail mail thing I can send an SASE...I'll just need to know where to send it. I'm not the one really dealing with it but I can pass it along to the folks who are. I'll try to stop into the library and see what they've got on the shelves.

Thanks again for the info.

Bronson

p.s. I remember reading somewhere that you come back to MI occasionally. If you ever want to make trip over to the left side when you're up this way let me know. I'm sure my sensei would love the chance to have you in class as he used to study with Tri sensei.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-16-2004, 08:18 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
I'd love a copy of the process and outline.

I'm sure my sensei would love the chance to have you in class as he used to study with Tri sensei.
Consider the outline attached and sent.

My Sensei will be please to hear his brother is remembered.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
AsimHanif

On a similar note, when is the best time to seek non-profit status? We are a small group that opened in July. We operate out of a health club.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
Bronson

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
On a similar note, when is the best time to seek non-profit status? We are a small group that opened in July. We operate out of a health club.
Hmmm, I don't really know Our club is coming up on it's ten year anniversary. I think they were waiting until one of the judo guys finished his accounting degree and could advise for free

Bronson

Old 09-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
Bronson

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
Consider the outline attached and sent.
Got it. I'll pass it along. Thanks.

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
My Sensei will be please to hear his brother is remembered.
My sensei often talks fondly about his training with Tri sensei and how much it impacted his aikido. He says that Tri sensei was the first sensei he ever had a "connection" with.

Old 09-17-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
On a similar note, when is the best time to seek non-profit status?
To the best of my knowledge, it isn't about time, its about what you function is, are you willing to do the work to become and maintain your non-profit status. Check your local regulation.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
Old 09-17-2004, 08:48 AM   #9
AsimHanif

Thanks, will do.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
Sue Trinidad
Dojo: Island Aikido
United_States

Hi, Bronson--

Here are a couple resources that help nonprofits use technology, fwiw:

www.npower.org
www.npohost.org

Good luck!

Sue
Old 09-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:

Asim,

Here is the resource that I used five years ago. It was single-handedly the only thing I ended up needing. From the day I ordered this book, I received my organizations 501(c)3 Status (advanced ruling) about 10 weeks later. I used no accountants or lawyers, and it cost me a few hundred dollars - and that includes the book. My immediate suggestion should you decide to move forward is get the book, read through it and attempt to fill complete everything that you are required to do. Your questions will come up based upon the process itself. For the issues you can't seem to decipher, your two best resources are the IRS's not-for-profit group - call them and ask them to explain every little thing you don't understand, and your state department - they too will answer all the questions about forming the initial corporation, associated by-laws, and particular requirements that are State-dependant.

Secondly, presume it will take you quite a while to raise the over the $25,000.00 (may be different amount now) per year limit for smaller foundations. This will require you to put up much less money from the outset.

Third - be clear from the outset on the following points:
1. Determining factors that differentiate a public charity and a private foundation.
2. Advantages & disadvantages of the voting members versus non voting members models
3. How to structure your board, what is their function versus the program staff, and who to have, and more importantly who to never have on your board.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #12
Sue Trinidad
Dojo: Island Aikido
United_States

Shaun, what book was that? It looks like maybe your post is missing a link. . .

Thanks!

Sue
Old 09-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #13
Misogi-no-Gyo

Sorry - Repost - due to timeout while editing original post.

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:

Asim,

Here (click here) is the resource that I used five years ago. It was single-handedly the only thing I ended up needing. From the day I ordered this book, I received my organizations 501(c)3 Status (advanced ruling) about 10 weeks later. I used no accountants or lawyers, and it cost me a few hundred dollars - and that includes the book.

My immediate suggestion should you decide to move forward is get the book. First - read through it and attempt to complete everything that you are required to do. Your questions will come up based upon the process itself. For the issues you can't seem to decipher, your two best resources are the IRS's not-for-profit group, and your state department. Call each of them and ask them to explain every little thing you don't understand. They will answer all the questions about forming the initial corporation, associated by-laws, and particular requirements that are State-dependant. You should always ask if there is a way to expedite the process - which usually comes down to paying an additional fee of between 10 & 15 dollars per step.

Hints to smooth out the process of obtaining your Advanced Ruling:
1. Always keep backup copies of everything in both electronic and hardcopy (faxable) formats.
2. Always ask for and write down the name and ID numbers (and telephone extensions if they will give it) of each and every person you speak to along the way
3. Always ask "who" is getting your paperwork next - get their name and phone extension if at all possible.
4. Mailings - send everything via FedEx, as that will require manual handling of the receipt and processing of your documents. Include prepaid FedEx return envelopes inside of each and everyone you send them. This will allow them to forward back to you the necessary receipts you will need to track the process of and ask questions about your organizations advanced ruling process.
5. Documents - order multiple copies of everything. That would include at least two certified copies of all receipts and certifications, etc., and extra copies which are not certified to be kept as backups in your document archive.
6. Contact info -- Give everyone you speak with at the IRS & State department your cell phone number and ask them to call you to confirm receipt of documents, confirm that there are no questions problems or issues noted upon the receipt of documents, confirm the mailing of return of documents, and to confirm that the status is moving forward, as expected.

Second - presume it will take you quite a while to raise the over the $25,000.00 (may be different amount now) per year limit for smaller foundations. This will require you to put up much less money from the outset.

Third - be clear from the outset on the following points:
1. Determining factors that differentiate a public charity and a private foundation.
2. Advantages & disadvantages of both the "voting members" and "non voting members" models.
3. How to structure your board, what is their function versus the program staff, and who to have, and more importantly who to never have on your board.

The last thing is get a PO Box and use it for your office's official point of contact. Plan to receive a ton of junk mail from the time you file your articles of incorporation with the state.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #14
AsimHanif

Thanks for the input. Waiting for the book link.....
Old 09-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #15
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
Thanks for the input. Waiting for the book link.....
Book link was in my last post (under "click here")

so:

---------> Please Click Here! <---------

Old 09-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #16
AsimHanif

Thanks Shaun.
BTW- I was trying to find our you dojo hours. I'm in NY alot and wanted to come train on my next trip. Are you still in operation on LI? You can send me an email or PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #17
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

Non-profit corporate status is one route to go. However there are many different legal ways to organize an Aikido group. It can be organized as a personal business. It can be a partnership. It can also be a commercial corporation. There are several different types of commercial corporations that you can create.

If you decide on a non-profit corporation, there are several ways you can apply for federal tax-exempt status under 501(c)(3). All of these possibilities have to be explored and thought through. You may not want non-profit status, because the goals of your group may be outside the limits of that structure. You probably need to talk with others to figure out what the goals of your group are.

As was mentioned before, these laws also vary from state to state. It's best to look at your situation and look at your local laws. The Illinois Secretary of State publishes a free guide to organizing a not-for-profit corporation. Your State Secretary may do the same thing.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-21-2004, 07:10 AM   #18
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
Thanks Shaun.
BTW- I was trying to find our you dojo hours. I'm in NY alot and wanted to come train on my next trip. Are you still in operation on LI? You can send me an email or PM.
Asim,

Thank you for your interest in training with us. Please find some information here ---------> Please Click Here <--------- If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me privately.