Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States
O'Sensei's sight

Greetings everyone,

While I was viewing the e-card section with pictures of O'Sensei, I noticed 2 interesting things.

First he almost always looks into some unknown dimension as if he is looking not outside but inside. Very concentrated sight on something either internal or external, but imaginable (not existing in our physical dimension and not smth that you can focus your sight on). I'm not sure if I understand that sight correctly and my apologies if my opinion is incorrect. My first question would be what that sight means? Is that some sort of meditation (kind of dynamic one when you meditate while you live) of high level of concentration on smth and if so on what? I recall from yoga philosophy that meditation is the highest degree of concentration, so maybe my question is not very correct... Anyway, how would you interpret that sight.

Secondly, from the pictures when he work with uke I noticed that he does not look neither at uke nor at his own hands. (As smth close to this I would point to an example of musicians closing their eyes during concert not to be disturbed, but this is I guess smth different). Maybe that's just pictures and not the reality, but if that's true then how would you comment that? I haven't seen many people doing that. In general aikidoka during technique uses his eyes to control his movements.

I would appreciate your comments.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: O'Sensei's sight

I've been taught that the eyes lead the mind (ki). If you are looking at your hands, everything stops at your hands. If you are looking at uke, everything stops at uke. Look were you want to go or where you want to direct your energy.

YMMV

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Suren,

Probably not what you are looking for, but O`Sensei was apparently very near sighted. That could be a reason for how his eyes look. Also, not talked about very much was his problem of senility in his later years. It`s interesting that in these days of the various attempts to deflate the "O`Sensei myth" this subject is rarely expressed.

Charles Hill
Old 07-14-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Thanks guys,

At least now I have some opinions.

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
Probably not what you are looking for..
I'm looking for some facts/opinions/ideas, not for something that sounds or looks good, so your opinion is very welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks again,
Suren.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Dear Suren,

We have five senses, six some argue (but that's debatable). Meditation in my understanding is trying to minimise inputs into our sensory instruments and allow our mind to focus (info from Discovery Channel). In Zen meditation we allow our mind to wander and explore our subcouscious while disallowing external input to overwhelm our reflective mind.

Maybe o'sensei was doing moving Zen, trying to shut out unneccesary stimuli while trying to concentrate on doing his aikido.

Just my $0.02 though,
Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:41 AM   #6
Martin Ruedas

Dojo: Makiling Southside
Philippines

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
I've been taught that the eyes lead the mind (ki). If you are looking at your hands, everything stops at your hands. If you are looking at uke, everything stops at uke. Look were you want to go or where you want to direct your energy.
That's the same thing I've been taught