Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
aikishrine
Dojo: aikido of central new york
United_States
Aikido and Judo

I am quite sure that this subject has been broached before so i apologize for the redundancy.
my qestion is this, has anyone traind in both Aikido and Judo, stupid question i know also does anyone know of a place on the web that i can find out about this and its combination? i have tried Aikido web sites and the Judo info site but i only find very limited info, maybe someone knows of schools that have combined the arts or Sensei that have trained in both and teach both
again sorry for the redundabcy
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Aikido and Judo

Shodokan/Tomiki Aikido has elements of both Aikido and Judo as does Yoseikan Budo. A lot of the uchideshi of Morihei Ueshiba were also judoka. If your goal is to learn something of both, maybe try some classes of both that are available to you and communicate your goals to the instructors of each.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 07-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
DonMagee
United_States

What exactly about aikido and judo do you want to know?

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

You might find this diagram interesting, showing the Shodokan conception of how judo/aikido fit into the larger picture of the development of jujutsu into gendai budo.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/.../hatten_en.gif

There's another version that I recall liking more somewhere, but I can't find it.

Demetrio Cereijo posted it on Bullshido once...maybe he could post it here too?

Last edited by Paul Sanderson-Cimino : 07-11-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
Shodokan/Tomiki Aikido has elements of both Aikido and Judo
SNIP
I heard somewhere that Tomiki considered his aikido to be something like "arm length judo" does anyone know what i'm talking about?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
DonMagee
United_States

I'd suggest reading

http://www.judoinfo.com/tomiki.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/tomiki2.htm - especially this one

Last edited by DonMagee : 07-11-2007 at 08:56 AM.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Great links. Worthwhile reading.. and how these ideas are applied needs to be paid close attention to on the mat... but oh.. many people don't think you can learn much in the martial arts by reading.

A pity.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Depends on who is doing the writing.

I think with regards to on the mat Tomiki viewed the practice of Judo and Aikido as separate. There was quite a bit of effort to develop randori methods that trained aiki techniques as opposed to what already occured for judo. That there was an overlap in techniques was a given but the emphasis in aikido is more for the techniques apart. The difference between aikido techniques and judo is that aikido is what you do while closing the distance, judo is what you do when you get there.

To prepare for my nidan in aikido I went and got shodan in Judo. This had less to do with the grade (that just happened) then the need to up my randori (in the Shodokan sense) experience. Sure the techniques are different but the lessons learnt are transferable.

Did it help. I think so. In aikido styles that don't have randori (again in the Shodokan or Judo sense) I think judo is invaluable.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Depends on who is doing the writing.
Shoot, you mean there's crap out there too?

Quote:
I think with regards to on the mat Tomiki viewed the practice of Judo and Aikido as separate.
I've only done a little bjj and judo and a little bit more aikido, so it's hard to have a strong opinion.

While I've been reading a lot of his writing, I don't think I have to perspective yet to have an opinion about that. I tend to think of them as the same with different distances, but that's where I'm currently at and I really know nothing of judo in reality and only a little of aikido.

My focus has been more on principles without regard to whether a technique is a or b and it seems fruitful. Of course, I think most of what I'm learning is more to the aikido side right now.

Quote:
To prepare for my nidan in aikido I went and got shodan in Judo. This had less to do with the grade (that just happened) then the need to up my randori (in the Shodokan sense) experience. Sure the techniques are different but the lessons learnt are transferable.
Seems quite reasonable.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
While I've been reading a lot of his writing, I don't think I have to perspective yet to have an opinion about that. I tend to think of them as the same with different distances, but that's where I'm currently at and I really know nothing of judo in reality and only a little of aikido.
He viewed them as esentially the same also - separated only by distance. I was refering to the practice within the dojo.

This separation of practice had as much to do with the setup at Waseda University where he was specifically required to teach Judo. Originally he was teaching aikido to interested judoka and it was only later that Aikido was offered as an independent entity. Its a very chicken and egg type qestion - would Tomiki's approach be different if he wasn't originally bound by the requirements of others.

Mochizuki who did not have those constraints integrated judo with aikido much more. Still, there are olympic level judoka that I have met over the years that happily train aikido using the Tomiki model.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido