Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany
Terry Dobson

I have just translated the book "Itīs a lot like dancing" by Terry Dobson and it will be published by Schlatt publishers here in Germany soon. The publisher is now looking for some more information and facts on Terry Dobsons life and asked if I could maybe find out some more about him. Apart from the book I donīt know that much about him so I thought Iīd ask here if anyone could point me into the right direction. Do you know where to get hold of anything like that (internet, books, interviews, etc.)? I do know his interview in "Aikido in America", but that is pretty much it.

Thanks very much for yout time,
best regards,
Sonja
Old 10-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea
Re: Terry Dobson

Ellis Amdur talks a bit about Terry Dobson and his interaction with him in "Dueling with OSensei". It is an interesting read. Unfortunately aside from the AJ Encyclopedia I don't know much more. Maybe by adding my voice to yours we can elicit a few anecdotes from those folks that knew Terry Dobson. I have a high regard for him without really knowing much about him or having seen him in action. Hopefully, some folks can tell us a few stories....
Old 10-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

FWIW, here is the Mother Jones article about Terry Dobson:

http://www.motherjones.com/commentar...03/vienne.html

And letters rebutting the article:

http://www.motherjones.com/commentar.../backtalk.html

I'm sorry to say that I never met him.

Whether aikido is a lot like dancing or not, perhaps there is something in dance that aikidoka would find worth observing. The following is from Joan Acocella's Talk of the Town piece in the 10/16/2006 issue of the New Yorker. The subject is Azari Plisetsky, the brother of the famous ballerina Maya Plisetskaya. Plisetsky became a famous ballet teacher himself.

"Plisetsky is an ordinary-looking sixty-nine-year-old man, with a bald head and a paunch. But the minute he took his position in front of the class his body changed. His spine elongated; his shoulders moved back; even his cheekbones seemed to rise. The drill he led was very hard, as a master class...is supposed to be. ... Many of the corrections he gave had to do with the most basic principles of ballet; above all, with how to initiate the movement --- from the middle of the body, not from the extremities. One dancer was told to pick up her left buttock, as well as her right, before turning. The whole class was told to plie from the pelvis, not from the ankles, and to pirouette from both legs, not just from the back leg. This centering of movement is what makes ballet look 'classical' --- unified, harmonious, natural --- but everybody has to be reminded of it constantly."

I suspect that Terry Dobson would have approved.

Jim Sorrentino
Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

I had the chance to meet him once, at his next-to-last class (he taught Aikido right up until the end).

It was easily the most unusual class I'd ever taken. He was quite a character.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote:
I had the chance to meet him once, at his next-to-last class (he taught Aikido right up until the end).

It was easily the most unusual class I'd ever taken. He was quite a character.
How so?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

There is a video of him teaching a class - but yes not enough about him around all considered.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

You might try contacting Ken Nisson at Aikido of Modesto <http://www.aikidoofmodesto.org/>. He and Terry founded the Bond Street Dojo in 1973.

Jim Baker

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote:
How so?
Some of the things he had us doing were not what you'd call standard technique (standing very close to uke and taking turns, gently smacking each other on the forehead; crawling around on all four's while uke tries to stay on top of nage; etc).

Also, he was a good storyteller. Very chatty, too...esp with the ladies.

The thing that stays with me is his choice to teach, right up until the end. He was having health problems, and he knew his time was limited, but it didn't stop him from teaching on.

Ten minutes after the last class he taught for a seminar, he collapsed and remained in a coma for 2 weeks before he died. That kind of dedication is very inspiring (even tho he was critical of my strugges with technique, lol ) .
Old 10-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States

I am curious about Terry Dobson as well. Chris Jordan Sensei speaks of him fondly as a fearsome fellow. The feeling I get, he was volatile and unpredictable and charismatic. In Chris Sensei's class we get an occasional glimpse of what his technique and temperament were like. Some stories too. But beyond that, I have nothing to add, except read the essay "Knights of the Moldy Rope" by Ellis Amdur.

--Chuck
Old 10-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
markwalsh
United Nations

There is a dojo in North Cal that has audio tapes of interviews with him - tried to get hile there buit to no avail. Firget the name sorry - anyone help - little place run by two ladies - he used to teach there.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Jim Sorrentino wrote:
FWIW, here is the Mother Jones article about Terry Dobson:

http://www.motherjones.com/commentar...03/vienne.html

And letters rebutting the article:

http://www.motherjones.com/commentar.../backtalk.html

I'm sorry to say that I never met him.Jim Sorrentino
Very interesting articles Jim, thanks. I think the 1st article is a bit "over the top" but it does paint an interesting and very human picture of Terry Dobson.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:44 AM   #12
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Thanks to you all for all the information. Iīll pass it on to the publisher.

Warm regards,
Sonja
Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
markwalsh
United Nations

http://www.bujindesign.com/dvd_dobson.html