Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
divinecedar

United_States
Red face What's my technique?

Firstly, let me state that I know that questions of this nature are generally useless and futile. However, I nonetheless feel compelled to ask it. I believe E.A. Poe called it the "Imp of the Perverse." Anyhow...I frequently "spar" (let's not get into whether that is a good idea or not) with a close friend of mine who is 6'7 and 300+ lbs. and has learned not to fully commit to grabs on my wrist/lapel. I often see chances for the application of iriminage, but he is too tall to successfully implement the technique. Humor me, if you will, with your suggestions as to which technique would be appropriate in this situation.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 AM   #2
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: What's my technique?

Gedanate!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Cody Bruce wrote: View Post
I often see chances for the application of iriminage, but he is too tall to successfully implement the technique. Humor me, if you will, with your suggestions as to which technique would be appropriate in this situation.

Thanks!
No, he is not too tall.Your iriminage is not good enough - surely mine isn't either
If you cannot imbalance him, the only way is to try with pain - not necessarily a good idea, when sparring with a friend. You might try (next to gedan ate) kotegaeshi or nikyo.

Maybe it is wise to aask your sensei, how to apply iriminage or a simple ikkyo on tall, well-centered uke

Best regards

Dirk
Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
dps

Quote:
Cody Bruce wrote: View Post
who is 6'7 and 300+ lbs.
Shiho Nage Ura

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
divinecedar

United_States

Thanks for the input! I will try gedanate and shihonage ura, but am apprehensive about utilizing kotegaeshi in a resistant sparring situation as I really don't want to break his wrist. I've had luck before with deashi harai and okuri ashi harai, but those aren't exactly Aikido techniques.

Last edited by divinecedar : 08-08-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

without knowing if he is rooting, moving forward, moving back, etc -and assuming his energy may be different on each attack - it is impossible so suggest one technique in advance.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
gregg block

United_States

Pick on someone your own size. Seriously unless you are of a similar size , a person of his stature would be very difficult to do any technique without a good, strong, damaging Atemi. This kind of strike or for that matter strikes you would not want to do on a friend . Some people will argue that if your technique was correct you could take him down no problem. They can believe that if they want but if I met your buddy on the street and he had bad intentions I wouldnt dream of "tying" up with him until I had him near unconscious. Just my opinion
Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Step in with the opposite foot (of the hand attemptimg to grab you) and atemi to the face, and when his other hand comes up to block, attempt to apply (insert name here)~kyo to the original hand.

...or I could be wrong.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Practice of techniques in hanmi-handachi can give good insights on how to deal with much taller attackers

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 08-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote: View Post
Gedanate!
The obvious is never obvious! These traditional folk don't seem to see it..... have to say I like that one mate Lol!
Tony
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Hit him with a really big stick. He will do one of two things: A,fall right down. B, Come running at you with a fully commited attack, then you can use the technique of your choice.

For training sake you can use a padded stick, just tell him to react like its a real one.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Sutemi-waza, followed by ne-waza.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
divinecedar

United_States

Umm...yeah.

1) I'm 6'3, 230 lbs. so nothing is impossible.

2) If I wanted to smash him with a strike, I would use Muay Thai.

3). Hanmi-handachi practice sounds like very good advice.

Last edited by divinecedar : 08-14-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

You ask an impossible question. Aikido techniques are adapted to specific situations, recognized by position, directions of power, momentum, and intentions (depending on your own level).

Without an exact description of all the above. One could only throw meaningless technique names at you. And you will likely not be able to apply any of them.

There is a reason we learn to be soft and harmonious in Aikido - the technical family we learn - locks and throws, is nearly impossible to apply, unless you are soft and harmonious. Locks and throws are techniques of opportunity, each ideally suited to a slightly different situation. To apply them, one has to be good enough to identify the opportunity before it is really apparent, and apply the technique. There should not be any visible preparation for the technique, so the other would not be able of realizing the trap is about to spring, otherwise he would evade your technique before hand (by resisting the preparation or changing the situation). And you should keep your mind open to any changes in the opportunity, and apply the appropriate action immediately.

A strong Atemi, is a way of giving you a slight edge, since his reactions would likely be slower and more predictable. A good Kuzushi is very efficient in achieving this too (and Atemi could gain Kuzushi). Further, once you started applying a technique, you should know the common ways of resisting to it and be ready to utilize those in another movement (some Aikido technique are actually built this way, such as irimi-nage and Shiho-nage).

I know this answer does not help you. Had you been able to do the above, you would not have had all those questions. And let me clarify, I do not claim to be able to this either. At best I have succeeded a few times, in friendly free-play Korindo Randori in slow to medium speed.

In truth, the ability of really acting in the way I described above under duress, is not common, and we consider those who can do it as masters of their M.A. (be it Aikido or any other, the concept is not unique). Yet, this is not the highest level of M.A. mastery, to my current understanding, that would be controlling the situation before hand and making the other follow your lead (he may think he is attacking, but in fact he responds to your “invitation”).

Amir