Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #1
ikkitosennomusha
Shihonage

How many of you often find it difficult to keep uke from spinning out of you shihonage?
Old 03-13-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Try keeping their arm infront of you, and maintain tension. Don't let their hand drift behind your head.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 03-13-2004, 02:49 AM   #3
shihonage
United_States
You may need to shorten the technique if the uke decides to get tricky.

You may have to drop uke in the middle of the turn instead of completing it.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:19 AM   #4
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
I used to have this problem but I think I corrected it by moving in and taking ukes balance as quickly as possible so that he doesnt have the chance to spin out. Atemi works good too.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:23 AM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Keeping tight to uke helps as well.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:27 AM   #6
Kensai
Keep low and extend the arm far out so that they have their balance taken, and hence cant spin out.

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 03-13-2004, 08:18 AM   #7
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
Quote:
Chris Gee (Kensai) wrote:
Keep low and extend the arm far out so that they have their balance taken, and hence cant spin out.
I was about to say that...Stretch their arm far out in front of you so that they have to be on their tippee toes to keep their elbow from hyperextending and keep your body really close to theirs so that you and your uke's shoulders scrape by each other. Never let uke get his balance back.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
ikkitosennomusha
Wow, I really don't need to comment on this one because you'all did a graet job on it. I agree with everyone so far.

If this ever happens for whatever reason, it is time for henka-waza. A great alternative would be this: When yous start to rotate underneath and uke spins out, maintain his arm extended while you slide behind uke for a traditonal figure 8 kokyunage. This works nicely and will remedy the situation!

Brad Medling
Old 03-14-2004, 04:59 AM   #9
Kensai
No need for Henka-waza if your Shihonage is good.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:44 AM   #10
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Spinning Out

Quote:
Brad Medling (ikkitosennomusha) wrote:
Wow, I really don't need to comment on this one because you'all did a graet job on it. I agree with everyone so far.

If this ever happens for whatever reason, it is time for henka-waza. A great alternative would be this: When yous start to rotate underneath and uke spins out, maintain his arm extended while you slide behind uke for a traditonal figure 8 kokyunage. This works nicely and will remedy the situation!

Brad Medling
I would like to point out here that "spinning out" is not a very good response to shihonage and that anyone who could have spun out could have done a kaeshiwaza and you'd be down already. Spiining out is usually only done by the new folks in the dojo who haven't been shown why they don't want to try it.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-14-2004, 07:27 AM   #11
Kensai
Good point Sensei Ledyard.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:15 PM   #12
ikkitosennomusha
I garee with you George. The new comers don't realize that I am being particularly slow when I brake things down for explanation or for their lack of experience. A few have gotten cocky, tried to spin out as if it would make me look like I am teaching an ineffective technique or I am incompetant as an aikidoka and this is when I put them straight down with a kokyunage etc. Afterwards I emphasize that "spinning out" is horse play and when I break things down, it is due to their experience level for which I am being cautious. So, After one good time of showing them that spinning will not work with me, it ends the problem immediately.

I should say that first, I let them spin out as to avoid having to do that and explain that it is for their benefit their way I carry the technique out. The 2nd time, if any, is when I get them!

Last edited by ikkitosennomusha : 03-14-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:46 PM   #13
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
One of my teachers in Japan doesn`t speak much in the way of English, but he always says "Aikido equals stretching".

You can still keep the stretch, even when you are breaking it down slowly.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #14
Tom Hooper
Dojo: Smac
I've found that when u take the arm it held like a sword and almost press the arm against your forehead

Tom (just a beginner)
Old 03-14-2004, 03:43 PM   #15
ikkitosennomusha
Tom and Brian,

Great comments! I tend to do this more often these days. When I first started teaching, I would relax the pressure so if I talked more than 20 or 30 seconds, I did not want to unncessarily wear uke's arm out.

Nowdays, I don't worry about that because I realized that I don't usually talk long enough for that to happen because I believe learning comes by doing!

Brad Medling