Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
JesseGraves
United_States
thinking about taking aikido

hello ive been thinking about takin aikido for awhile now. but ive been readin alot of rather bad things about aikido and how its not practical.and how the training is ''dead'' ive been split on judo or aikido but i like the way aikido looks. i would really like to look into tomiki (i hope i spelled that right) but theres no where in my city
Old 05-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
ESimmons
United_States
Re: thinking about taking aikido

I recommend contacting whatever dojo is nearest you and scheduling a visit. Affiliation may be of less consequence than you suspect; besides, an outsider cannot be expected to effectively discern which style of aikido among the myriad of styles best suits him/her without actually getting some experience in.

While judo doesn't seem to be the target of as much criticism as aikido, it seems to operate on similar principles and isn't in the upper echelon of street-efficient martial arts. If your choice is between the two, I think you should pursue which art you find more interesting, which seems to be aikido.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
JesseGraves
United_States

thanks alot eric for being the only one to respond
Old 05-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Yeah, getting a taste is about the best thing I can think of. Without knowing what you want to get out of it, it's hard to make recommendations (which I assume is why you're posting here). Most of my experience is in a different style, but I've just begun Shodokan (Tomiki ryu) and I certainly like it. They're like two different kinds of candy: both are sweet but with different flavors.
In my limited opinion, if you're looking for practical self-defense it depends more upon the teacher than the style. Aikido does teach many important principles, and you often learn how to "fall" without hurting yourself, which has come in handy for me playing sports, among other things, but you might find another approach suits you better...you never know until you give it a try.
I think it's important to check around a bit before committing to any particular school. There are many very open-minded people out there, but obviously each of us is doing what we think suits us best, and some people think what they do is the best way to do it, period. Experience as many different "flavors" as possible before handing over your hard-earned cash.
Best of luck,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 05-29-2006 at 07:56 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

So where are you planning on taking aikido? out for a nice candle lit dinner with soft music? sorry I couldnt resist.....

Dan Hulley
Old 05-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
JesseGraves
United_States

well the place ive been lookin at is www.aikidojo.com seems to be a very nice lookin dojo. and my main reason for wanting to get into martial arts is that i want a hobby and ive always wated to do it. but my parents would never let me. but now im an adult lol
Old 05-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
JesseGraves
United_States

i like the idea of judo because i kinda like the idea of tournaments. but i really like aikido because of the spiritual aspect of it. and the throws look real nice lol. but the only dojo in my area is all anti tournament which isnt a deal breaker but, it would be nice to use the aikido in a real life excercise
Old 05-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
dps

hi Jesse,

I know Shodokan Aikido (Tomiki) has competition. I think Yoshinkan also does. Any Aikido is better than no Aikido.
Below is a link you might find interesting reading.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ighlight=month

Good Luck
David
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
Dajo251
United_States

Wow that does look like a beautiful dojo...

Dan Hulley
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
JesseGraves
United_States

yeah i love the traditional look to the dojo the others ive seen look nothing like this place.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, "practical" is in the individual's ability to apply it.
Aikido works just fine for me.
If you like the looks, you'll love the training.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Jesse. ASU is a good solid organization and it appears the dojo you looked at has a wide variety of available classes with several instructors.

True, except for Tomiki and Ki Society, aikido does not have tournaments or competitions. However, I think you'll find with aikido your biggest competition will be with yourself. The struggle for constant and never ending improvement and refinement of your technique is ongoing and never ending.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #13
JesseGraves
United_States

thanks alot guys
Old 05-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

If you are looking for practical/street application...Shodokan/Ki society is the way to go...

If you are looking for technical/theoretical application...ASU or USAF is ideal...

Just keep focused...you only get out of it, what you put into it....

Where are you located, if I may ask?

Miku-san
Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
JesseGraves
United_States

im in louisville kentucky, from what ive found there are only two aikido dojos in this city and one of them just kinda rents space from local judo dojo
Old 05-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #16
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

nothing wrong with a dojo that rents space from another school. My dojo is in a ballet school. As much as I would love to train in a beautiful Japanese style dojo with a real kamiza and dressing rooms and a permanent mat, I think my sensei is worth training with wherever he finds a floor to put down the mats.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 05-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #17
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Not sure if you've checked them out. But, here are two Aikido dojos in Louisville, which are part of the United States Aikido Federation:

http://uoflaikido.com/news.php
http://www.okolonaaikido.org/

No tournaments, however.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #18
Guilty Spark

United_States

Quote:
i like the idea of judo because i kinda like the idea of tournaments. but i really like aikido because of the spiritual aspect of it
You don't need to physically do aikido to practice it spiritually.

If you can't decide which to take then take both.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:12 AM   #19
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

If you are young, healthy, and want to learn how to tussle, start with judo. Aikido is always out there, waiting...

I would try both and see which feels more satisfying immediately if this is your first martial art.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:00 AM   #20
JesseGraves
United_States

well i am kinda young (21) but ii dont know about being soo healthy. one of the reason to get into martial arts as a work out lol i used to wrestle in high school and i was told that i could kinda incorporate that into judo. anyone ever hear something similar to that? but i also heard it doesnt matter the body type in aikido. in the last few days im startin to really lean torward aikido. reason the aikido dojo ive been loookin at is totally beautiful and aikido lessons are alot cheaper
Old 05-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #21
Guilty Spark

United_States

In our dojo we've found younger guys don't stay too long. Aikido may seem a little slow for you my friend. Theres no punching or kicking. Younger people seem drawn to that (me for example doing taekwondo).
If you try out aikido and don't like it don't feel bad, it's not for everyone. You can always quit and try out another martial art or come back to aikido later on.

While it may not seem like it I can promise you aikido is tough. You'll get a work out. Some of the stances you will be in your body totally won't be used to and it's gonna sting. You'll flip and roll around the dojo so much when you stand up you'll see stars and be dizzy. I love aikido and i'll be doing it for the rest of my life. I'm going to tinker with getting back into taekwondo and playing with a few martial arts like judo & Capoeira.
Rule #1, have fun. The biggest step is getting into the dojo and taking your first class.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #22
Dajo251
United_States

Im 21 too, I started aikido when I was 12, I stopped when I was 14 and I came back about 6 months, ago, once aikido gets in your blood, you can never get it out

Dan Hulley
Old 05-31-2006, 11:22 AM   #23
DonMagee
United_States

Wrestling will help you a lot in judo. In fact you will find a lot of it applicable to throwing defenses and ground work. I say try them both and see what you like. I started with aikido and eventually moved to judo (although I still train in aikido). I love the hard randori (sparing) that comes with judo. A lot of people move the other way as well. Judo will complient any martial art you train in.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein