Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2001, 10:20 PM   #1
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Today was intresting I jamed my thumb strait back in pe at school to day . big deal it hurt you say. heck yeah but it got all swolen and I could stand without being so dizziy i almost fainted. I dont know why. so over the course of the day I found out how much I really needed my thumbs ( luckly i didnt hurt my writing thumb!!) but I did still go to Aikido. some throwes ( like opening the dojo door!!) hurts. Sankajo was the worst, while I had to modify my koto gashi. anyhow it is swelling on and off.. but my main questions have you ever trained with a ( more than a bit) painful injury for a day or a year?? Did you have to modify anything?? well gotta sleep have fun!

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 02-21-2001, 03:23 AM   #2
petra
Dojo: samourais,Eindhoven
Thumbs down

Yep, not the thumb though, but my little toe. Amazing how often you use those little digits in day to day life. You only notice them when they are not functioning as they should. But to get back to my little toe, it gut stuck between two tatami mats during a role. (this will probably sound familiar to a lot of people). Big deal, I thought and went on with our warm-up exercises, untill we started our first technique, step, crack, AUTSCH!, the next half hour my foot was under cold flowing water. It got swollen really bad, half my foot got black and blue and the next hour I spent sitting on the sideline.
I am not good at sitting on the sideline, it starts itching, I want to do techniques, not sit and watch. So since my foot was already swollen and coloured, sitting on the sideline would only make it more stiff so I figured some exercise would probably be better. It hurt alot during techniques and I was realy glad we did not do suwari waze(did some nice jumps though). The next few weeks it was sore and fantasticly coloured (black, bleu, purple, green, yellow, the works), but I just went on training like always and got nice compliments from my fellow students on my variation in skin colour . After about 6-8 weeks it did not hurt so bad anymore and I am glad I did not miss any training sessions, although I am alot more careful with my toes when there is no cover on the tatami mats like in my regular dojo (of course this happened during a seminar, these kind of things tend to happen when you least want them to )

Petra

I haven't failed, I have found 10.000 ways that won't work.
Old 02-21-2001, 07:10 AM   #3
REK
At the risk of belaboring the obvious, it sounds like a good time to see your physician. S/he may be able to provide you good exercises and stretches that will shorten your recovery time and improve your long-term healing.

Rob

Old 02-21-2001, 07:14 AM   #4
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
I'm pretty sure I had a broken toe (ie a hairline fracture) when I started aikido. Hurt when it hit the ground coming out of rolls, had to stand on strange parts of my feet. I once did a class in tachi waza while everybody else did suwari waza beacuse my knee went nuts if I did shikko (I could just about sit in seiza.)
Oh, and I once had to train for about six weeks with a left arm that hurt when I lifted a mug because of a kotegaeshi gone wrong. Needless to say, I mainly didn't train on that side...
andrew
Old 02-21-2001, 07:45 AM   #5
petra
Dojo: samourais,Eindhoven
Rob, my toe was probably brussed real bad or maybe even (hairline) fractured. Then again, it is my little toe, they cannot do much about it, not put a cast around it or splint it. I contemplated going to my physician but he would probably confirm my diagnosis and tell me to keep on moving without doing extreme things. O yes, maybe I should mention that I have some experiance with broken/brussed bones (my recovery time and long-term healing are quite good) and a little medical training. Furthermore, my teacher is a trained and very experienced sports masseur. If he thinks someone is doing something they should not be doing with their body he probably pick them up and carry them of the mat himself if they wouldn't go voluntarily.
Thanks for the concern though, at least if you meant me, otherwise sorry for the non-related chit-chat.

Petra

I haven't failed, I have found 10.000 ways that won't work.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:24 AM   #6
BC
One thing we do in our dojo if you are training with an injured finger, hand, elbow, or shoulder, is to roll up the sleeve of the side that is hurting. That way you can request to your partner to please take it easy on that side, and they have a visual reminder of where you are hurting, so you minimize the risk that you will compound the injury.

Robert Cronin
Old 02-21-2001, 09:38 AM   #7
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
I know what you mean...

I have jammed my big toe and broke the second toe during class one night at my old school. I could do just about everything except rolls. You see, I couldn't bend my toes. And the pushing off for rolling was incredibly painful. So, for about a month I had to do everything standing up. I wrapped my two toes together and put on a sock and wore a martial arts shoe to remind people on the mat that I had a coupld of bad toes, otherwise they would occasionally step on it.

I know what you mean by how much you take things like toes and fingers for granted when they are healthy. I have sprained my ankle before on different occasions and the pain and the disabling condition of the toe seemed worse to me.

All I have to say is that I won't curse my big toe anymore.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 02-22-2001, 10:29 AM   #8
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I once dislocated my collar bone (not aiki related; falling drunk off a pedal bike). I didn't notice it much at the time, I thought it was a dislocated shoulder or really serious bruising. However it really incapacitated my upper body for several weeks. Using my back, twisting or even using my other arm, was painful.

It made me realise that the potential to get seriously injured in a fight can massively limit your ability to defend yourself. I couldn't do Aikido at the time, but I used to spend a lot of time down the gym kicking a punch bag. Though I would never use a kick in most situations, I always practise them 'cos you never know when the situation is going to be very different to what you'd expect - probably a good lesson to cross-train.

Ian
Old 03-11-2001, 12:09 PM   #9
paul spawforth
Dojo: wakefield tomiki aikido club
Thumbs down

At the last grading i took there was a green belt going for his blue belt, but in the pre-grading warm up and practice he damaged his shoulder, however, he was intent on grading so he continued, during the course of the day he had to be helped off the mat no less than three times each time in extreme pain, you had to admire his determination but it would have been wiser to stop and get the shoulder checked by a professional before training again, if i had an injury that kept flaring up during practice i would definitely get it checked out just to be on the safe side!

regards

Paul