Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-25-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How much progress do you think you made in aikido in 2005?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 25, 2005:

How much progress do you think you made in aikido in 2005?
  • I don't do aikido
  • A lot
  • Some
  • A little
  • Not much
  • Not at all
Here are the current results.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:01 AM   #2
Josh Reyer

Japan
Re: Poll: How much progress do you think you made in aikido in 2005?

A lot, considering that I'd been away from aikido for so long, and after a few months of study feel my "aikido sense" (to what degree I had it) is starting to come back. Pretty soon, though, I'll catch back up with myself on the learning curve...

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 12-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
GreenLizzard
United_States

A lot, considering that before I only practiced on and off, and was never really serious about it. When I returned in June this year, after being out of town for the past two years without any training at all, I wasn't sure if I wanted to attend aikido class again. But having nothing to do, decided to go to one class, just to say hi. Something happed in that class. I had forgotten all of the techniques, but found I had more of a feel for aikido than I had before. I can't really explain it, it is something you would have to experience to understand. Anyway, that is the day I decided to take my training seriously, and haven't missed a day since. During the months between june and december this year, I have officially joined the usaf, passed my first test, relearned the techniques better than I knew them before, started doing some forms of advanced ukemi, developed my visualization and observation skills, went to my first seminar, and found out how little I really know and how much more I would like to learn.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

This was my third year of training, and I learned a lot, including several pointed lessons about the limits of my knowledge. Around last December I was sure I was ready to test for third kyu. Finally tested in November, by which time I was much less sure....

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the difference between right and almost right is the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug. I know a lot of "almost right" things.

The single biggest lightbulb of the year was at a seminar. One of the sensei teaching said, "Uke is not in this throw (iriminage) to take ukemi. He is trying to hit nage to start with; then he's trying to come back up and hit him again; when that fails, he is pushing nage over with his hip. If uke never stops the attack, the throw will work." Suddenly instead of falling all over the mat, we novices were doing the throw and it was *working*. (Or sometimes uke would push nage over with his hip, but that was fun too.)

Mary Kaye
Old 12-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

After a number of years in one Aikido organisation, retaking my black belt in a different one.

Definitely a lot of progress! Learnin all the changes in the basic techniwues, although the actual basics were the same!

Osu!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

My biggest progress in 2005, is to re-learn how to do irimi nage properly.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

My goal for 2005 was to keep showing up. Mission accomplished.

I tend not to worry about progress because it will come if I train hard. I will train hard if I am having a good time. I had fun this year.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-29-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Sensei says I have. Thats good enough for me.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #9
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia

I did my Nidan and training for that I learn a lot, and was in 3 very good seminars,...

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 12-29-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Scott Josephus
Dojo: tokushinkan
United_States

Well, I increased to 5th Kyu this year, and have my 4th Kyu exam right around the corner. I improved in many techniques, including my weapons strikes. I learned Jo Kata #1, and Bokken Katas 1 and 2. And all that is very good.

But . . . the things that I am most proud of improving in this year are two intangible things: 1) My awareness is slightly better than it was. (Which for me is a huge thing . . . Ask my Sensei . The other thing is simply this: 2) I am far more confident in myself than I was a year ago; my self esteem has went up, and if I'm going to make a mistake, at least it's my mistake, which I own. Somehow, over the past few months of my life, it feels like I am actually in control of my life, which I did not have that feeling of a year and a half ago when I began.

Everyone, have a great New Year and train hard! Onegai Shimasu!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:19 PM   #11
nmrmak
Dojo: Shin Ken (Aikikai)
Yugoslavia

I think i made a lot of progress in 2005, because i just started training in september 2004, and that means that most of my practice so far was done in 2005. Concerning the fact that i'm a newbie, you could say that the learning curve is quite steep. So, if i were to compare my current aikido progress with the one i had in 2004 when i started, i'd say i made a lot of progress, tested for two belts, yada yada yada.... All the things that i've experienced are simply amazing... beginning with the basic ikkyo, all the way to breakfalls...and all the beautiful techniques such as tenchinage and kokyu-nage, all the times when you just lay on the floor, smiling and wondering how your sensei managed to throw you like that, still being unable to figure out how exactly you ended on the mats.

I sincerely hope that the following year 2006 will be even more productive than 2005 for everyone who studies aikido. There is a lot for me to learn yet (i don't even know all the common techniques). If i were to pinpoint a task i would like to focus on doing in year 2006, it would be improving my posture and zanshin, among other things.

I guess it's back to training now

Sincerely yours in ,
Nebojsa Mrmak