Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
MikeLogan

United_States
Talking And the YouTube Ukemi-of-the-Year Award goes to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lCot...eature=related

The little lady at 1 minute and 8 seconds (1:08) in.

It's plain to see she is fully commited to the "attack" as well. Such symmetry, such grace... Perhaps my teacher will let me help out with the kids class....

Sorry, way too late at night.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Re: And the YouTube Ukemi-of-the-Year Award goes to...

Now, I have two young kids about that age, but MAN did I laugh!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

OOOOUUUUCCCHHHHH!!
Lesson here kids is head goes back, balance is broken, fall down
Doc

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

The little one doing the back break fall was the best. Looked slight she slapped out blue jacket and all.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
MikeLogan

United_States

Yea, she was the inspiration for posting. Better angle & field of vision of in this one, but the image is only slightly grainier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcxbl...eature=related

I can only post this because I have, um, blocked a goalie's return in just this fashion. Also I am assuming she came out of it all the wiser.

Have a good weekend all!

- Thomas Hardy
Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Adman

United_States

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote: View Post
Yea, she was the inspiration for posting.
You find a toddler getting whacked in the head, and being knocked off her feet inspirational? Or worst yet, humorous?

Quote:
I can only post this because I have, um, blocked a goalie's return in just this fashion. Also I am assuming she came out of it all the wiser.
Something skewed and disturbing about the rational in the above quote.

Sorry. Not funny at all.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
MikeLogan

United_States

Who doesn't enjoy seeing little kids get smashed in the face? It's delightful. (This is an example of sarcasm)

Quote:
In smaller words without all those confusing commas: I've been hit in the face with a soccer ball myself. I lived through it, though I still suffer from the effects below:

The aforementioned trauma has impaired my moral compass to the point that I cannot differentiate between a harmless bonk on the head with a balloon, and a gunshot wound. Doctor's have also told me that the injury will likely prevent me from: smelling the color red, learning to appreciate the "Harry Potter" series, and from ever becoming holier than thou

Thankfully you are holy enough for the both of us.

She was the award-winner because the fall was so perfect. That portion of the clip was the motivation, the cause, the inspiration, the impetus, the reson d'etre for posting the original link.

I did not find her epic struggle and irrevocable demise at the behest of some ballistic buckminster fullerene inspirational in some profound and deeply touching way. That would indeed be disturbing; no, I found it hilarious.

One of us is taking themselves too seriously, Let me know if you think it's me.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Nick P.

Nicely worded, Mike. So nicely in fact I added your comment to my signature. Well done.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 AM   #9
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Sorry Mike, Nick; but I'm with Adam here. Not funny how the little girl got hit in the face. It won't be funny to see my toddler get hit too.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
CarrieP

United_States

Quote:
ballistic buckminster fullerene inspiration
Oooh, nice alliteration. May I steal this for future purposes?

In other news, this is one of those where I feel guilty for laughing, yet I laugh anyway.

My second favorite is the girl in the blue soccer uniform who gets bonked, staggers, then gets back up. Shows an amazing level of comittment and perserverence.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
Nick P.

Fair enough Alejandro.

By and large, I am disgusted by videos showing this kind of thing, but having taken my share soccer balls, hand-balls (note: never be the goalie in handball) and even those hard plastic orange street-hockey balls to the either the groin or face, if there is no real damage other than to the person's ego, I can see the humour in it, though like Carolyn, there is of course a certain guilt.

I see little difference between the aforementionned video segement watching my 4yr old son riding his Diego car way too fast down the hall (yes, with Mommy and Daddy repeating ad-nauseum "Slow down before you kill yourself...or your little sister!!") then hits the carpet at the end of the hall go arse-over-teakettle, and comes up laughing, Yes the little girl probably came up crying (more from shock than pain, I would suspect) and might have a bruise on her forehead.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Adman

United_States

The odd thing is, I did found this funny:
Quote:
Thankfully you are holy enough for the both of us.
Sorry you told a joke and was disappointed that someone didn't laugh.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote: View Post
Sorry you told a joke and was disappointed that someone didn't laugh.
Actually he was exasperated because he told a joke and was called "skewed and disturbing".

Look, this is home video that found its way on YouTube. I doubt it would have been circulated if the girl was grievously injured. Mike didn't post it because it was funny that a little girl got hit in the head with a soccer ball. He posted it because she then did a perfect judo fall. Which is perfectly fine, particularly from the far remove of watching a home video clip on YouTube. It's not like he was standing over her laughing and pointing after she got hit.

If it didn't strike you quite as amusing, that's cool -- I myself didn't find it funny enough to induce me to comment. But your comments were rather over-the-top.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
Adman

United_States

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
Actually he was exasperated because he told a joke and was called "skewed and disturbing".
It was a poor choice of words on my part. I was trying to comment on the phrase that drew it out of me. No need to explain why something like this can push my buttons in a dramatic fashion. As you can see, I don't make many posts.

I did not want to imply that Mike was "skewed and disturbed". So for that, Mike ... I apologize. It's no wonder I'm not a word-smith.

Quote:
If it didn't strike you quite as amusing, that's cool -- I myself didn't find it funny enough to induce me to comment. But your comments were rather over-the-top.
That's fair.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
MikeLogan

United_States

My original post and follow-up weren't as clear as perhaps they should have been, and the second link without the context of all the other clips and music would be approaching poor taste, certainly.

Who am I kidding, the whole thing was pretty low-brow. My humor in real life is kinda non-linear; lots of word play, and more often than not if people do laugh, it is at me, instead of the joke. But the goal is achieved. Just ask my dojo-mates.

Let's trade apologies. Thanks Adam, and sorry for that initial reply of mine. I hope it can be read now for the enjoyment of the exaggeration alone.

Though seriously, I can't get passed the first page of "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone" ...

Safe Training and Holidays for everyone,
michael.

- Thomas Hardy