Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #26
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Gi's and etc.

I perfer blue simply because you dont have to bleach it (which weaknes the fabric over time) It never gets that yellow sweat color. And (in the case of bjj and judo) you dont have to spend time removing blood stains as they dont show up on blue. Its a plus that blue is a legal judo competition color as well.

I never understood white as the default color of the gi. It just doesn't make sense. Its hard to keep clean, hard to keep looking well kept, and not forgiving of stains.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-22-2006, 06:48 AM   #27
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
I perfer blue simply because you dont have to bleach it (which weaknes the fabric over time) It never gets that yellow sweat color. And (in the case of bjj and judo) you dont have to spend time removing blood stains as they dont show up on blue.
Don, you must have 'royalty' running in your veins

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #28
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Of course it's the training that matters. But in some dojo, there is a uniform. In my dojo, it's a white gi. Why? I don't know and I don't care. I just show up, change into my gi, and get on the mat.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 06-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #29
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
It never gets that yellow sweat color.
Hmm... sounds like a good justification for a white Gi. It means you have to wash it before the sweat builds up too thick .
Old 06-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #30
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
It just doesn't make sense. Its hard to keep clean, hard to keep looking well kept, and not forgiving of stains.
I've never had a problem keeping a white Gi clean and well kept, and I have some pretty old Gis. I wash my Gi (I use Judo Gis) after each day of practice and every 10 washings or so, I use some chlorox.

I don't understand how people can wear a Gi for multiple practice days, especially in the summer months, without washing.

On some days it can be very difficult to practice with people whose Gis smell

Gi hygiene !!!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:06 PM   #31
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
And be really, really careful with your new piercing- as soon as you can you should get the screw-in kind of jewelry, the pressure rings can pop open and stepping on a bead with bare feet is no fun.
Pressure rings??? At least here we wear screw-in piercings from the beginning. I'm waiting to have my 5th kyu exam first, just in case of... anything.

Thank you for worrying for me
Lucy
Old 06-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #32
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Neal Earhart wrote:
I've never had a problem keeping a white Gi clean and well kept, and I have some pretty old Gis. I wash my Gi (I use Judo Gis) after each day of practice and every 10 washings or so, I use some chlorox.

I don't understand how people can wear a Gi for multiple practice days, especially in the summer months, without washing.

On some days it can be very difficult to practice with people whose Gis smell

Gi hygiene !!!
I wash my gi every practice. Its why I have 4 of them. (2 blue, 2 white). My white gi's are now more of a unbleached look in color with black and red spots all over them. I used to bleach them, but i found it really destroys my gi's. I didn't have this problem until judo so I'm guessing it has something to do with all the tugging combined with the frequent washing (i train 4 days a week, so each gi gets washed and hung dry 1 time a week). I also found it annoying to have to use peroxide to get out the blood and just started washing it the best it can in the washer. With the blue gi's you can't notice any stains of blood or sweat. But with the white onces there are little red blotches here and there. I used to only have a single white gi which I would wash after every class. Within a year it was all but in tatters (especially the pants). I think a lot of that was bleaching and blood spot removal (oxy clean or peroxide).

But I do feel you about people who dont wash their gi. It really gets you when you have a guys croch smothering your face in the north south position, or you get stuck with your face in their armpit. I personally just refuse to train with people that smell. I'm very rude about it. One time I actually attacked someone with a bottle of febreeze.

Last edited by DonMagee : 06-22-2006 at 07:46 PM.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #33
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
I personally just refuse to train with people that smell. I'm very rude about it. One time I actually attacked someone with a bottle of febreeze.
I am also very straightforward when it comes to people whose Gis "offend"

But, the febreeze is a brilliant idea!!! I didn't even think of that. I've added it to my shopping list for the weekend !
Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #34
hapkidoike

I was thinking of going to a clear gi.
And about the febreeze thing. Be careful who you do that to, espically given that it is made of funky ass chemicals i assume, and some people may be allergic. Other people might just wait till after class and hit you in the back of the head with a lead pipe, that would be my response.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:11 AM   #35
DonMagee
United_States

Yea, I dont suggest febreezing random people, make sure you know them. I threatened the guy I febreezed twice. You have to follow though with your promises.

- Don