Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
TongBui
United_States
Relaxing Aiki vs Yoga.

If Yoga is done right, you will be relax and feel more spiritual.
I heard an instructor saying that while a combat art, aikido has the same benefits.

Anyone supports this view?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom
Re: Relaxing Aiki vs Yoga.

Quote:
Tong Bui wrote:
If Yoga is done right, you will be relax and feel more spiritual.
I heard an instructor saying that while a combat art, aikido has the same benefits.

Anyone supports this view?
I think it's about the person doing the activity and not the activity itself.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Well I do both yoga and aikido and while relaxation generally occurs after strenuous physical activity, the actual experiences and physical benefits are entirely different ;and while I have gotten great spiritual benefit from aikido, yoga gives me the ability to do splits and kick over my head at 50 and that makes me feel pretty good,too.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 11-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Tim Fong

Dojo: Aunkai

Didn't Tohei do some yoga with Nakamura Tempu?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Laurel Seacord
Dojo: Seishinkan (Ki no Kenkyukai), Tokyo, Japan
Japan

The St. Louis Ki Society has a nice write up about "Japanese Yoga", Tohei-sensei and Nakamura Tempu.
http://www.stlki.org/about.shtml
Old 11-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Yes, Tempu Nakamura is supposedly called the father of Japanese Yoga. Tempukai is where Koichi Tohei and a number of other Japanese aikido teachers trained in the 1950's. Nakamura Sensei was about 10 years older than Ueshiba Sensei. I got the impression from reading some where that they were on good terms.

Tempu Nakamura called what he did Shin Shin Toitsu Do which
means "mind and body coordinated/unified way" and conveys much the same meaning as Yoga which is the Hindi word derived from Sanskrit yoga-s, literally "union, yoking", referring to the union of the mind, body and spirit.

So we practice in the Ki Society,

Shin Shin Toitsu Do
and
Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido

and there is a great deal of emphasis not surprisingly on correct relaxation.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

In my limited experience: the feeling in your mind and body after keiko also differs depending on what kind of aikido and training you have been doing.

After a intensive class withs both "static" and flowing taijutsu I usually feel physically tired but always in a very positive mental state.

After a intensive hour of bukiwaza (suburi, awase-exercises, kumitachi/jo) I´m mentaly drained.

After a hour of only soft flowing ki no nagare practice I usally find myself in a very pleasant and energetic mode both physically and mentaly.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Jo Adell - "ability to do splits and kick over my head at 50"
good for you!!

I'm recovering from devastating injury of 25 years ago. I've done yoga, tai chi chuan, chi kung (this the most diligently) aikido, physical therapy - ad nauseum. One of my Senseis who is younger, criticized my training (sharply), and said that solo training alone would not give me all I needed. We had words.

Next class he taught was about connection for uke - even during the most rigorous movement - ikyo for me, as both my shoulders have come out of joint. The most difficult and painful exercise was staying connected during very very fast but smooth ikyo and bouncing back up to continue pushing into nage's center. I yelled from the pain, trembled, experienced rapid breathing, and generally hurt like Hell during this exercise, but began using muscle groups I've had locked down since my injury.

Next class I was throwing koshi nage off my right side - the side that has collapsed under load for all those years.

Thank you Sensei!

David

Last edited by billybob : 11-10-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
MikeLogan

United_States

On a different tack I could agree with you, TongBui. A friend of mine, while riding with me as I wove through traffic along the D.C. Beltway told me that the experience was exciting, yet calming. Keeping at a clip of roughly 70, it helped that I drove 100 meters ahead of myself. That, except perhaps the added speed, is a good way to drive because it allows for better anticipation of driving conditions, instead of reacting to every brake light you see.

Translated into Aikido, when I have the right feel for timing, my balance, their balance, momentum, and awareness of the nearest & ready uke, randori can be both calming and exhilirating.

michael.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:13 AM   #10
saulofong
Dojo: Instituto União
Brazil

I perceive Aikido, Yoga and Tai Chi Chuan as what I call integrative arts. The main purpose, as I see, is to integrate body, mind and energy, bringing more presence. The main difference in Aikido is that it has another element which is the relationship with the outside world (partner). I use sometimes some concepts of Yoga and Tai Chi in the Aikido training. In the essence, I believe they are the same. Different manifestations of the same purpose.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:27 AM   #11
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Nicely put, Saulo.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
statisticool
United_States

I've heard that one can't be aware of their environment unless they are relaxed; relaxation is a prerequisite for awareness.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 12-21-2006, 04:16 AM   #13
saulofong
Dojo: Instituto União
Brazil

There is a simple test you anyone can make.

Tense the muscles of your arm, for example, and ask someone to touch your arm. Then, relax your arm and ask someone to touch the same spot. Any difference in perception ?

Would it be possible to be aware of the environment if you are not aware of your own body ?

Saulo Fong
Aikido - Instituto União
São Paulo, Brazil
http://www.institutouniao.com.br/aikido/
Old 01-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #14
mwible
Dojo: Aikido of Suenaka-Ha in Greater Richmond
United_States

i agree but you are wrong in thinking aikido a combat art (in my eyes) i believe aikido to be a way to neutralize agresion not meet it head on or back up a provocation, it is a way of peace not a way of combat.