Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
aikishrine
Dojo: aikido of central new york
United_States
Weight training for Aikido

Does anyone have any ideas of good, but siimple and effective wieght training methods for Aikido?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States
Re: Weight training for Aikido

Yes. You can do core work outs that will help in aikido. A lot of people say don't do it, but Im a gym rat anyway.

Exactly what are you wanting to gain from weight training?
Stamina, size, tone, strength?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Bob Blackburn
United_States

Picking myself up off the mat a few hundred times a night seems to be all I need.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
NagaBaba

Twice a week: tree series 15x80kg, 15x90kg, 15x100kg . simple

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Tom H.
United_States

I have briefly used isolated body-building exercises to rehabilitate muscles that were so weak they impacted my structure and movement. If you aren't very thin or underweight, I'd recommend skipping bodybuilding entirely, as it teaches your body to move using local muscle instead of whole-body connections.

I'm using olympic power-lifting to tighten up loose joints (esp. in my arms) and develop control and stability in my shoulders. In the long run, want to strengthen my skeleton, ligaments, tendons, and other fascia.

EDIT: I'd recommend staying away from body-building. Power-lifting may help strengthen your body--in a way I've found I need very much--but I have to pay attention to what it's so I don't lose mobility and freedom of movement. fwiw.

Last edited by Tom H. : 04-06-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Churchill92
Dojo: HydePark Aikido
United_States

Crossfit. Go there, do the dailies. It'll get you in some of the best shape of your life.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

+1 on CrossFit.com. If you do it you will never wonder if you are missing something.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Chris Covington

United_States

Hello all,

Although I don't do aikido, I do study Daito-ryu and I think the body movements are similar. I've found sumo taiso and swinging a very heavy bokuto has done a great deal for my technique. You can find a link to sumo taiso here: http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/kyokai/kenko_taiso.html
If this doesn't get what you need I would also recomend power lifting techniques although I haven't done any of that in a long time. I also haven't had any trouble with isolation exercises to strengthen certain problem areas.

Just my 2 cents,

Chris Covington
Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu
Old 04-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
eyrie

Australia

Does using your own body weight count as weight training?

Ignatius
Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Kevin Karr
United_States

Don't overdo it with the weights. Aikido is about extension not contraction. If you start building muscle by lifting heavily, you lose flexibility and you will slow yourself down. I do some weight training but I keep the weight very moderate and I don't spend much time at it, just a quick, intense shot. I go to the gym more for the cardio exercise because endurance is definitely needed in Aikido!

Like someone else said previously (and as my Sensei also says in regards to "weight training" for Aikido), "Just do suburi." Lots and lots of suburi with your bokken or tanren. That builds your forearms and wrists and the more suburi you do, the more relaxed you will become in the shoulders and you build "center." It will improve your empty-hand practice and this is much better suited for progress in Aikido than freeweights.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
dps

Keep the weight light like Ronnie does,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsh_JSX2pkY

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Tom Holz wrote: View Post
I have briefly used isolated body-building exercises to rehabilitate muscles that were so weak they impacted my structure and movement. If you aren't very thin or underweight, I'd recommend skipping bodybuilding entirely, as it teaches your body to move using local muscle instead of whole-body connections.
Bodybuilding is not strength training. I've seen a lot of people in dojos who I think could benefit from strength training -- a lot of injuries are caused by core weakness, leading to over-reliance on the wrong muscles and subsequent injury.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Chris Covington wrote: View Post
. You can find a link to sumo taiso here: http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/kyokai/kenko_taiso.html
Thanks Chris! I just put that link on the NJIT Aikido Club Facebook group page, with a note pointing out who I stole it from.

(BTW, though that Facebook Group requires approval to join, the permissions are set so that anyone can see whatever we put up....and we just put up some very nice pictures from the Sunday session of last weekend's Skoss Sword Seminar. Just scroll down to the event listing on the right, click the event, and you can't miss the pictures!)

Best,

FL

Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
Chris Covington

United_States

Hi Fred,

Glad you liked the link. Sumo not just for fat guys anymore! The taiso are good, but nothing beats throwing on a mawashi and going at it with another ama-rikishi.

Can you provide a link to the facebook page? I'd love to see the photos. I would have enjoyed going to the seminar, but we were doing Jikishinkage-ryu, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu and Shindo Muso-ryu at the Cherry Blossom festival in DC that weekend.

Best regards,

Chris Covington
Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu kenjutsu
Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Tom H.
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Bodybuilding is not strength training. I've seen a lot of people in dojos who I think could benefit from strength training -- a lot of injuries are caused by core weakness, leading to over-reliance on the wrong muscles and subsequent injury.
Agreed. I'm one of those people who needs strengthening and tightening up.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #16
stark
Dojo: Kilburn
United Kingdom

I'm doing both - aikido and strength training, I think you mean strength training rather than body building. It definitely worth doing as other posters have mentioned that you will be more resistant to injury. You may notice having more energy and improved posture as a result too. I haven't noticed any adverse impact on my aikido because of strength training, in fact all the results have been positive.

If your serious about strength training I'd hire a personal trainer to discuss your goals and to show you how best to achieve them. There is not much point asking for training methods on this board as the majority of people here have no experience of training in that way.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #17
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Tim Gray wrote: View Post
If your serious about strength training I'd hire a personal trainer to discuss your goals and to show you how best to achieve them. There is not much point asking for training methods on this board as the majority of people here have no experience of training in that way.
...and even those of us who do, would probably recommend a personal trainer to get you started and teach you proper form. It's a worthwhile investment.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
Guilty Spark

United_States

Weight training at the gym, long distance running mixed with interval training, swimming and a good diet.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 04-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
Chantal

Dojo: Yoshinkan Aikido
Canada

As a small framed woman, i do enjoy weight training as a way to improve weaknesses. Personally, I look at what i have the most trouble doing (anything related to upper body) and train in that area. I suggest you explore what you believe needs fine tuning and work from there. Although, do not neglect the rest of the body either!! I do find that upper body is the most difficult but I also train full body. In aikido, I think cardio and core strength training is the most important and valuable, regardless of size or gender or weakness. Just my two cents!!

Chantal

The spiritual beauty, which is the deepest truth, sustains me!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
Nathan Wallace

Dojo: VA tenshinkai
United_States

you could simply obtain bokken and jo of great weight and always work with those.

Cpl. P. N. Wallace

Kijinkan school founder & instructor
Aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage ryu kenjutsu
Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #21
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

I'd say suburi with a bokuto in shikko-dachi, using a heavier suburito to practice kamae (slowly), and using a partner of similar weight lying on your hips (as in halfway through koshinage) and doing half-squats from there.

Warning: Do not bend, fold or otherwise abuse... until we get to the dojo..

合気道研心会 Aikido Kenshinkai
Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #22
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

ditto on Crossfit. Tom Holz also gives some good advice!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
darin

Most bodybuilders do dead lifts, chin ups, dips and full ATG (ass to grass) squats. Those exercises develop core muscles. Just do these basic compound exercises for a while and make sure you have a trainer show you proper technique.