Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
bryce_montgomery

United_States
Love...

I was sitting around the other day and it occurred to me...

Does the word Love (ai) have, in Japanese, many deeper meanings than at the surface? You know, like the Greek meanings of love seem more...powerful, than the English derivatives.

I was just wondering if this was the case or whatnot. As for what love means to different people...what does it mean to you?

Thanks,
Bryce
Old 04-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Love...

For me, Love is our capacity for sacrifice.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Although I cannot comment on the meaning of "ai" to Japanese, I will say that there are four Greek words for "love": "eros", "stergo", "philo", and "agape". Each of those words have a distinct connotation, and all four of their connotations are encompassed by the English word "love". In addition, all four of those words are still in use in the English language. Since the evolution of our language has infused the word "love" with such broad scope, it is often one of the most misinterpreted words in the English language. Being specific about the type of love you intend by using non-generic terminology gives you the ability to avoid such misunderstanding, but limits your ability to convey deeper meaning through subtext, intonation, and other subtleties.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

When I first went to Japan to study language in a language school, I met a executive from Ikea - one that was slotted for their international business/trade, etc. The gentleman new something like seven languages (fluent in at least six). Somewhere after our friendship developed, we had a conversation on the nature of language - which came up after he shared with me that he was also a poet. I asked him which language did he feel he was more able to express his poetry, etc., in - which language was more capable of expressing the deeper elements of Man, existence, and creation, etc. For some reason, I thought he would say Japanese (with the capacity for punning, and since we were in Japan to refine our language skills), or French (for similar reasons), or even his native language (due to familiarity). To my surprise, he said English. His reasoning sounded very much like what Benjamin was saying in his last line.

Just thought I would share that,
dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Interesting and thanks a million fellas.

Thanks,
Bryce