Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #1
Sojourner
Australia
Circle Quote - Koichi Tohei.

Does not sound an unreasonable ideal!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1911865_432852140150537_1234729172_n.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1225  
Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Quote - Koichi Tohei.

Neither does, "solve world hunger." We still haven't gotten that one.

When I see these kinds of quotes, three questions pop into my head:
1. Do I comprehend the communication?
2. Am I competent to understand the issue?
3. Am I committed to the resolution?

As a point of discussion, how would you answer these 3 questions to Tohei Sensei's claims? He lays out 3 claims present in aikido:
1. To makes the heart of nature his own
2. To understand love for all things
3. To become one with nature

I am not a ki society guy. I'd be interested to see a comprehensive analysis of what each claim means if nothing else.

Jon Reading
Old 03-09-2014, 03:28 AM   #3
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Didn't table-tennis thaw relations with China? You could probably use a multitude of activities to push for peace. The problem for me is that it just creates a horde of aiki-bunnies who latch on and can't let go. All the more bizarre is that Aikido is a martial art. Of course, I know where he is coming from, but personally, I find it quite daft.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
dps

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
Didn't table-tennis thaw relations with China?
You don't need something as strenuous as table tennis to change the world, you can sing or think good thoughts.
Everybody together now, '' I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony'', or maybe ''
We are the world, we are the children'' how about, '' All you need is love, love. Love is all you need.''

I am still waiting for the hundredth monkey.

dps

Song quotes by. The New Seekers, Michael Jackson, The Beatles.
The Hundredth Monkey, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth_monkey_effect

Last edited by dps : 03-09-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Dai Shizen

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
Didn't table-tennis thaw relations with China? You could probably use a multitude of activities to push for peace. The problem for me is that it just creates a horde of aiki-bunnies who latch on and can't let go. All the more bizarre is that Aikido is a martial art. Of course, I know where he is coming from, but personally, I find it quite daft.
The pertinent part of the phrasing is "...a discipline...," (emphasis mine) though. I get what you're saying about it getting turned into foo foo, but from my perspective it fits neatly with an idea O Sensei seemed to have for Aikido: to whatever capacity your situation allows, you can study how to integrate with and intuit the workings/way of the kami through Aikido. Through my exposure to Shinto I've also heard a bit about trying to feel/sense and integrate with the heartbeat and breath of kami (as reflected in the manifest world) and from what I can tell, paying attention to the breath and other rhythms of the body is an important aspect of this, along with the cultivating and securing of ones tama (which can be dislodged) into the center of its seat. So the spirituality behind phrases like this, as I understand it, is rooted somewhat in the idea of physical integration/application.
By harmonizing/connecting with the rhythms (e.g. heartbeat) of Great Nature, everything else sorts itself out through virtue of that connection/harmonization: "You wouldn't want to mess with me, man. I'm the Universe."
...Not that I have any real functional physical understanding of this, assuming my intellectual understanding is even up to snuff...which it probably isn't.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 03-11-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Gambarimashyo!