Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
fayzane
United_States
AAA vs AWA

I just enrolled my son in a dojo -
Is there much difference between the AAA and the AWA? Why are there two separate entities within the same discipline? I realize some organizations split off for various reasons but since I am not familiar I want to make sure I know what we are getting into. Do both entities enjoy a good reputation within the martial arts communities?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea
Re: AAA vs AWA

Julie,

The AAA & AWA are just two of a multitude of organizations that fall under the umbrella of the Aikikai which in itself is one of about four larger "entities" or styles of the single disciple of Aikido.
The explanation as to why these styles and different organizations exists could take several years to outline, but eventually, it could all be explained by the over-simplicifation that we are all human, and when humans have differences of opinions that cannot readily be resolved we tend to fracture and segregate.

Bottom line for you though, both the AAA and AWA have good solid reputations within the Aikido Community. If you're looking for which one would be better for your son, I'd tell you to look at the specific dojo first and foremost. As a beginner in Aikido it really doesn't matter whether or not your in the AAA or AWA.....

Regards, Joe
Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #3
fayzane
United_States

Thank you! I realize organizations split for difference of opinion and not necessarily due to anything 'bad.' I was hoping that was the case! But yes the dojo I have my son signed up for is with AWA and the Sensei seems very knowlegable and competent. I just felt like I had to make sure. It's so hard to know certain things unless you're very involved
FYI my son was THRILLED with his first lesson...you'd have thought we took him to Disneyland...I hope this joy and enthusiasm continues - while it requires a lot of dedication I feel that martial arts offers a lot to the development of a person, and I truly feel that it will be highly beneficial to the emotional/pysical development of my son.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Both are excellent.
I have trained with both AAA and AWA. No bad things to say.
In fact, I often attend seminars by both.
If you and your child are please, train on.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

I take it we are not referring to the Anarchistic Atheist Alliance and the Allied World Atheists are we...?

Science damn you!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jo Duncan wrote: View Post
I take it we are not referring to the Anarchistic Atheist Alliance and the Allied World Atheists are we...?

Science damn you!
I can deal with atheist; however, the disorderly conducts of anarchist just upset me to no end.

Organization doesn't really matter that much. it's the people that count. although AAA will get you lots of discount and your car tow for free.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Julie Wilson wrote: View Post
Thank you! I realize organizations split for difference of opinion and not necessarily due to anything 'bad.' I was hoping that was the case! But yes the dojo I have my son signed up for is with AWA and the Sensei seems very knowlegable and competent. I just felt like I had to make sure. It's so hard to know certain things unless you're very involved
FYI my son was THRILLED with his first lesson...you'd have thought we took him to Disneyland...I hope this joy and enthusiasm continues - while it requires a lot of dedication I feel that martial arts offers a lot to the development of a person, and I truly feel that it will be highly beneficial to the emotional/pysical development of my son.
We just had a wonderful seminar with the leader of the AWA, Andrew Sato Sensei. The dojo was full every day and there was lots of great energy on the mat. I deeply appreciate Sato Sensei because he is very much an ordinary person with no "airs" about him and he is all about Aikido. The Shudokan Aikido Association and the Aikido World Alliance worked together in Aiki friendship on this event. I highly recommend his group to you as a wonderful group to be in.

Jorge Garcia
Shudokan Aikido Association
Houston,Tx

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 02-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote: View Post
I deeply appreciate Sato Sensei because he is very much an ordinary person with no "airs" about him and he is all about Aikido.
Very similar to my seminar experience with Sato Sensei.

A truly top-notch individual.

A couple of us went to a seminar he was holding and even though we do not train in his organization/style he (and the rest of the seminar attendees) were very open and understanding of our pathetic attempts to try it their way. It was truly a great time.

I liked his instruction so much I recommended him to a student of mine that was moving to Chicago. This student was looking for a dojo that taught a similar style to what we do. I encouraged him to broaden his experience and seek out Sato Sensei. Good instruction transcends stylistic boundaries.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

I train at an AWA dojo, Roswell Budokan.
Sato Sensei does seasonal camps.
Always open and welcoming to any style, affiliation, and rank.
Always a good workout.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

AAA was founded by Fumio Toyoda I believe in the early 1980s after he separated from the Ki Society. He reaffiliated the organization with the founding organization sometime around 1995 I believe. Andy Sato was one of his senior students. After Toyoda sensei's death Sato sensei was the chief instructor and then eventually went out on his own forming the AWA. He is a 6th dan with the Aikikai (founding organization).