Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-03-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Surprise Ikkyo and Ukemi musing

I was wrestling with a friend of mine yesterday (just friendly rowdiness) and at a certain point I was on bottom, on my side and my face flush against a wall. He had my top arm at wrist and just above the elbow, and he bent my elbow, turned it over, and went into a perfect ikkyo! Now he has no aikido training whatsoever (no wrestling either for that matter), but somehow it just presented itself to him and he did it.

It was getting pretty uncomfortable in my shoulder, and I used my arm and back muscles to extend my way out of it, as I was starting to see visions of my shoulder coming apart. Of course, I was able to take advantage of the fact that he didn't really want to hurt me, so he was laying off on it somewhat. But later I was thinking: I really had no way to turn away from it to take the pressure off. I was stuck against the wall and unable to roll. If he had decided to explosively drop all his weight against the joint it would have hurt .... a lot. Don't think it would have broken bone but I could see shoulder ligaments going sproing.

So I was able to gut it out, but only because he didn't really want to hurt me. That really brought home to me a point I've been reading about on this forum and aikido-l a lot, about what it really means to take ukemi, and about resistance. But now I am puzzled as to what the best, safest ukemi for that situation *would* have been.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I could have done in that situation?

=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 PM   #2
Jordan Steele
Re: Surprise Ikkyo and Ukemi musing

The safest way to take all ukemi is to keep your eyes on nage until he forces you to turn your head. As for ikkyo, once it has been effectively applied it is very difficult to get out of. Rolling out of it works, but you didn't have that option. Sometimes drawing both your elbows into your sides and then torqing your body to face your opponent works. Also anytime an elbow control is applied do not let your arm be extended into an armbar because then it can be broken, but if you keep an angle, your arm is relatively safe no matter how much pain is being inflicted on the shoulder. Just play with it.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:42 PM   #3
James Giles
Dojo: North Florida Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Willy Lee wrote:
But now I am puzzled as to what the best, safest ukemi for that situation *would* have been.
Anyone have any ideas as to what I could have done in that situation?
Tap out?
Old 06-03-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido

Quote:
James Giles wrote:
Tap out?
Hehe -- good one!

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

It is *often* (not always) possible to keep the elbow flexed, which I do to a degree that some partners look askance at, but it is highly protective of joints, keeps me more flexibly center-to-center connected with nage (ie, able to keep angled towards/seeing nage) and gives me the possibility of a little wiggle room if needed. By the time partner has me down, I can generally feel if they are trustworthy and will let them straighten the elbow to do the final pin.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield