Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-29-2002, 08:02 AM   #26
Kevin Wilbanks
"I am and expert and I know" [sic]

...that's one of the most distastefully arrogant expressions I've ever read, assuming it was stated without irony. Why not just replace 'expert' with 'God'? I don't think you'll find many here who will accept such a bald argument from authority. Also, if you're going to say something that grandiose, I recommend proofreading it first.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:31 AM   #27
mike lee
Quote:
Why not just replace 'expert' with 'God'?
As you like.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:03 PM   #28
Dangus
In regard to this man taking two blows to the back of the head with a hatchet, it's completely conceivable that it was the sharp size. Look at it this way, the guy comes out of the camper, is relaxed, not totally tense. Is moving forward, maybe even leaned forward, and a blow is struck from behind. Blending becomes key. Chances are, whatever side of the hatchet struck him, he yeilded some ground to the blow rather than just stood there and tried to stop all it's momentum.

You CAN take hits from an axe and live, and probably more often than you'd expect, but definitely not if you stand there and take the full force of it.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who keep their's" -Ben Franklin
Old 10-29-2002, 07:19 PM   #29
cbrf4zr2
When I go to the link it says the page is not found? What was the article?

...then again, that's just me.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:24 AM   #30
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Sorry about that, Edward; that was my mistake. The link was to a daily news article; I forgot that the link would (of course) be negated by the end of the day.

Essentially, the story is thus:

A German man who has studied Judo for 15 years was vacationing in Calgary (Alberta, Canada) when he was attacked by a man with a hatchet. He was in his camper, the man knocked on the door and told him something was leaking. He went out to look and when he bent to see where the man was pointing, the man hit him twice in the back of the head with the hatchet. The judoka somehow killed him in self defence.

(BTW - update: the judoka has returned to Germany. He was not charged for killing the man.)

Hope that helps.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.