Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
The Koshita Dip

I thought that perhaps someone has figured this out. No matter how you tie the hakama, if you work out enough or hard enough, it always seems to hang down. Has anyone figured out a way to keep it up or should we all just accept the dip?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: The Koshita Dip

Bujin aiki style low rider koshita ... do they still make them that way?

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

It could be possible that your hakama was not made for aikido. You could also try one with a hera.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
... if you work out enough or hard enough, it always seems to hang down.
Maybe find another way of tying your hakama? I myself have never had this problem. And only seldom I see it at other student. Mostly when they ty their hakama "wrong" or loosely.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Brett Charvat
United_States

I'd recommend experimenting with different methods. There are about as many ways to tie on a hakama as there are folks who wear them. In my koryu training I tie it in a particular way as taught to me by my teacher, but if I tied it the same way during aikido training it would be at my ankles in no time. When I'm getting dressed for aikido, I tie on the koshita first, with its himo tied below my obi knot. Then I take my front himo and wrap it around the bottom of my koshita twice and finish with a knot in the front. I've heard from several people in this country that I'm doing it "wrong," but whenever I'm told that I have to smile a bit. I learned that method in Japan, and it was practiced by everyone at both dojo I attended there.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Richard Stevens
United_States

I've found that if I run the two himo coming off near the koshita underneath my obi near the back and then crank them tight before tying in the front my koshita usually stays in place.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Nafis Zahir

United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Maybe find another way of tying your hakama? I myself have never had this problem. And only seldom I see it at other student. Mostly when they ty their hakama "wrong" or loosely.
I know how to tie it. I have tied front first and back first. It doesn't hang all the way down, but it comes down a little. What is your method?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Nafis Zahir

United_States

Quote:
Brett Charvat wrote: View Post
I'd recommend experimenting with different methods. There are about as many ways to tie on a hakama as there are folks who wear them. In my koryu training I tie it in a particular way as taught to me by my teacher, but if I tied it the same way during aikido training it would be at my ankles in no time. When I'm getting dressed for aikido, I tie on the koshita first, with its himo tied below my obi knot. Then I take my front himo and wrap it around the bottom of my koshita twice and finish with a knot in the front. I've heard from several people in this country that I'm doing it "wrong," but whenever I'm told that I have to smile a bit. I learned that method in Japan, and it was practiced by everyone at both dojo I attended there.
That has been an on going discussion. I see both ways and have done both ways. So they tie the back on first now in Japan? Straps wrapped around the outside?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
I know how to tie it. I have tied front first and back first. It doesn't hang all the way down, but it comes down a little. What is your method?
I'm doing it this way.
And this is how it looks after two and a half hour of practice. (Not too wild that day, ... But even in harder practic my koshiita does not dip. Sometimes, when going very much dow on the knees the front loosens a little.)

I remeber my first hakama did not really fit well. I remember a Tozando hakama that seemed a second skin. Not every hakama fits for every person. The Iwata I wear since some years also is like made especially for me.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

I tie mine the same way (and Endo does it that way too, as far as I know? ) and I don't have any problems with the koshita either. Although I don't tie it over the ends of my belt, I pull the belt out in the first step and tie below (can't really describe better, sorry...)

I noticed that the koshita seems to slip more when you tuck the hakama under the belt in the beginning, like many people I know.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Brett Charvat
United_States

Quote:
That has been an on going discussion. I see both ways and have done both ways. So they tie the back on first now in Japan? Straps wrapped around the outside?
--Well, I really can't speak for all of Japan, but I can say that at least two good-sized Aikikai dojo in Kumamoto are filled with folks who do. Then again, I also saw plenty of folks from other dojo doing it differently, not to mention other arts as previously mentioned.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Nafis Zahir

United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I'm doing it this way.
And this is how it looks after two and a half hour of practice. (Not too wild that day, ... But even in harder practic my koshiita does not dip. Sometimes, when going very much dow on the knees the front loosens a little.)

I remeber my first hakama did not really fit well. I remember a Tozando hakama that seemed a second skin. Not every hakama fits for every person. The Iwata I wear since some years also is like made especially for me.
Thanks! Not bad. But I have never had a hakama where the front stays up without tucking it over the belt. Even if I take my time and tie it well and tie it snug, it always slips off the belt.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Nafis Zahir

United_States

Quote:
Brett Charvat wrote: View Post
--Well, I really can't speak for all of Japan, but I can say that at least two good-sized Aikikai dojo in Kumamoto are filled with folks who do. Then again, I also saw plenty of folks from other dojo doing it differently, not to mention other arts as previously mentioned.
I guess whatever works.....

Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
Nafis Zahir

United_States

I also like this way. Some do not like the knot in the back, but I never roll on that part of my back so I never feel it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sap_i...ure=plpp_video

Old 09-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Bujin aiki style low rider koshita ... do they still make them that way?
would the low ride koshita show my thong?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
would the low ride koshita show my thong?
We all know you roll commando. Stop with your trick questions.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.