Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-03-2002, 06:07 AM   #1
Phil Wiedower
Thanks for the Final Push

Hello all,

I have been interested in the Martial Arts since I was a small boy, however, my father felt that learning MA was the same as owning a gun. While this is a truly ridiculous, I was never allowed to study. I still remember the day I heard about Aikido... I was 16 and visiting a Karate Dojo and was observing a class and there was a group of people discussing Aikido. When I inquired about what Aikido was I received the very basics and not all true. First I was told that there were no strikes in Aikido and it was a purely self-defense, and that if I wanted to see it in action I should rent a movie called 'Above the Law'. Well, my first reaction was perfect ... a non-violent Martial Art, dad will go for that... then I saw the movie!

None the less I always wanted to study Aikido. Well about 5-6 years ago I decided I was going to finally do it. I did a limited search for a dojo and selected one that had an introductory offer. I took five or six classes and really enjoyed it, then my schedule changed and I never went back.

Now, I am quickly approaching 30, getting married in September, and working very hard to succeed in my professional life. Needless to say I feel pretty stressed. So I began to search for something, anything, for me and just me (selfish I know). I had already started the year on a health kick with the standard ‘Quit Smoking, eat better, and workout more' lecture to myself. So I began to research Aikido again. I did more research than ever before and learned a great deal about what O-Sensei had intended. I think that I am beginning to learn what Aikido really is both physically and spiritually. So I am back out there and looking for a dojo again. I think that I will go back to the one I started at several years ago and think that there are some many things that will make a whole lot more sense having studied as much as I have.

What I really wanted to say, sorry for making the drag on, is I think the final push for me has been this website and the members of the discussion threads (note: Special Thanks to all who posted on the question ‘Why Aikido', that was the final straw for me). I have spent countless hours reading this site and www.aikidofaq.com. In fact I make it a point to read one of the sites at least once a day to continue to keep me excited and focused on what I want and to increase my knowledge about Aikido. What I find incredible and moving about this site is that from my limited knowledge O-Sensei set out to develop something that could create a universal peace and bring everyone together. I believe that I read somewhere that in O-Sensei's final days he told his son that ‘Aikido is for everyone in the world', well this website shows that his wish is coming true.

I look forward to getting to know everyone in the community and can hardly wait to begin classes.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 05-03-2002, 06:54 AM   #2
thomson

Dojo: Sarpy Aikido Club
Talking Welcome!

Hi Phil,
Welcome to the forums and welcome back to aikido, you are going to love it! I can relate to how you got into MA's my folks were the same way when I was growing up. Also, waited much longer than I should have before getting into aikido. I'd been kicking around the idea for at least 6-8 years and until 3-4 months ago hadn't acted on my it. Now I'm in aikido, loving every minute of it, loving the forums here (the people are incredible, and there is some seriously knowledgable souls haunting this web site ). Anyhow, I'm rambling. I just get excited whenever I hear about/from or meet someone else new to aikido. BTW my excitement for aikido has rubbed off on my wife and she starts training with me on Mon.
Life is good. Once again, welcome!

Mike

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. - Sun Tzu
Old 05-03-2002, 06:56 AM   #3
thomson

Freaky! more...

I just noticed you are in Atlanta, GA where are you going to train? I have family in Marietta and Woodstock, might run into sometime.

Mike

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. - Sun Tzu
Old 05-03-2002, 07:41 AM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Welcome Phil!

I'm down I-85 in Montgomery, AL. If you're ever in the area, please come train with us. Our dojo is somewhat casual but we train vigorously.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-03-2002, 07:54 AM   #5
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
It always make me smile to hear about another person finding the martial arts that right for them.

Where ever you train, good luck and enjoy .

www.shinbudokai.org
Old 05-03-2002, 09:13 AM   #6
Phil Wiedower
Re: more...

Quote:
Originally posted by thomson
I just noticed you are in Atlanta, GA where are you going to train? I have family in Marietta and Woodstock, might run into sometime.

Mike
I am about 99% sure that I will begin traning at Dogwood Aikikai in Buckhead. I will be going to watch the laido class tomorrow morning and then begin class when thier schedule allows. I 'll be sure to let you know.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:49 AM   #7
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Re: more...

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Wiedower

I am about 99% sure that I will begin traning at Dogwood Aikikai in Buckhead. I will be going to watch the laido class tomorrow morning and then begin class when thier schedule allows. I 'll be sure to let you know.
When you meet Don Brown, please tell him I said "Hello".

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-03-2002, 10:04 AM   #8
thomson

Talking Buckhead!! (party!!)

I drove over the road for about 6 years and used to meet up with my cousin and go play pool at the Corner Pocket in Buckhead. Just down from I-285 on Sandy Springs Rd (maybe its Roswell Rd, can't remember now). Anyhow, I'll have to make an effort to get down to ATL sometime. Visit family, check out some dojos and play pool.

Mike

Last edited by thomson : 05-03-2002 at 10:06 AM.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
Bushido Media
United_States
Re: Thanks for the Final Push

Welcome Phil,
There are some many styles of Aikido out there. It may take some time for you to find the one that "Speaks" to you. When you find it, you will know. In any event, I hope that you find your path and I hope that it fills you with the joy and peace that I have come to know through Aikido.
There are many wonderful resources out there, books, videos ect... If you follow the link below, My Sensei has provided a list that I like to call "A good start." This should give you some more information.
www.shinbudokai.com/rec_read.htm
Best Wishes
Old 02-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #10
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Thanks for the Final Push

Doug,

This is a very nice page. Thanks for offering the link. It's great to see folks sharing and giving like this.

david

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.